Author Topic: [GB] Polaris - GB Complete  (Read 241267 times)

Offline nathanchere

Re: [GB] Polaris
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 08:33:06 »
Has KBDfans done Rose Gold before? Can't seem to find anything on their site.

Yes, I've posted a recent one (Fusion60): https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101726.msg2790447#msg2790447

Offline jooobe

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 08:50:33 »
Yee I ll buy 2 different plate and pcb
Will have to desolder to switch plate?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 August 2019, 09:38:24 by jooobe »

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 09:11:30 »
What's the best feeling plate for linear switches?
It's subjective, but i'd say full brass. The new half-plate and/or PC plate hotness is usually for those who want to get more from their tactile switches.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 09:30:25 »
Joined for an e-white  :thumb:

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 09:44:50 »
Any indication what 'forest green' looks like? Is it the same as the 'dark green' from the kbdfans Tofu or something else? It's pretty hard to choose a colour from a name alone :(

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 09:45:49 »

Yes, I've posted a recent one (Fusion60): https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101726.msg2790447#msg2790447

That looks more Champagne :|

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 09:53:53 »
It's subjective, but i'd say full brass. The new half-plate and/or PC plate hotness is usually for those who want to get more from their tactile switches.

Interesting, the product page suggests the opposite.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 10:05:54 »

Again... very subjective LOLOL

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 10:34:51 »

Again... very subjective LOLOL
Yeah. It also has to do with the sound profile you prefer (high-pitched or deep) and, well, just general feeling.Poly & FR4 will be much softer & bouncier than brass. Probably not a good idea if you like hammering on heavy switches.
In other words, go to a meetup and try all the things :)

Offline ilezia

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 10:49:12 »
Are the renderings for the "blue grey" fairly accurate?

The colour on the rendering is quite a bit darker and greyer than the colour on the swatch (which is what I'd prefer).

Right now can't decide between the blue and space grey.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 10:54:03 »

Show Image

The colour on the rendering is quite a bit darker and greyer than the colour on the swatch (which is what I'd prefer).

Most likely the same blue as this one. It matches the color swatch and is also a product from KBDfans & ai03:

« Last Edit: Wed, 07 August 2019, 10:56:05 by nguyenhimself »

Offline ilezia

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 10:59:50 »

Show Image

Most likely the same blue as this one. It matches the color swatch and is also a product from KBDfans & ai03:

Show Image

Yeah I was thinking that might be the case. Space grey it is!

e. was inside quotes
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 August 2019, 13:13:39 by ilezia »

Offline spakecdk

• Browns are best
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:09:28 »
Will the 65% version have a blocker between the arrow cluster and ctrl?

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:19:28 »

65% version?

Offline jooobe

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:22:35 »
This is 60%. wkl will have blockers. Refer to the provided image

« Last Edit: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:24:30 by jooobe »

Offline Mekberg

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:55:26 »
I’m considering buying two sets of plate and PCB, yes. Brass full for my tactiles and polycarb full for a linear set.

Offline Icte

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 13:25:31 »
Quick questions before I jump on this incredible offer:

- I see that the colors e-white and e-yellow costs slightly more. Do they have some sort of coating, and if so, what kind of coating?
- Why is a WKL/Tsangan plate offered, when you can have this layout using the universal plate? Is there something about the WKL/Tsangan plate which makes it a better choice over the universal plate, if you're planning to use one of the layouts offered by the WKL/Tsangan plate?
- If you choose the black matte brass weight as well as a brass plate, will the plate also be black matte PVD?
- On the website, the following is stated:
  "The 1.2mm thick, slot-cut super flexible PCB offers typing comfort that extends the gasket mount benefits."
  What kind of benefits are there of the gasket mount in this context? More of a "spongy" feeling when typing on switches due to flex?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 13:41:36 »
Quick questions before I jump on this incredible offer:

- I see that the colors e-white and e-yellow costs slightly more. Do they have some sort of coating, and if so, what kind of coating?
- Why is a WKL/Tsangan plate offered, when you can have this layout using the universal plate? Is there something about the WKL/Tsangan plate which makes it a better choice over the universal plate, if you're planning to use one of the layouts offered by the WKL/Tsangan plate?
- If you choose the black matte brass weight as well as a brass plate, will the plate also be black matte PVD?
- On the website, the following is stated:
  "The 1.2mm thick, slot-cut super flexible PCB offers typing comfort that extends the gasket mount benefits."
  What kind of benefits are there of the gasket mount in this context? More of a "spongy" feeling when typing on switches due to flex?

1. e-coating means coated by electrophoresis, you can google the process.
2. dedicated plates have less holes, people like that because usually it means a less painful time straightening switches and the likes.
3. probably.
4. I wouldn't describe it as spongy but you likely have the right idea yes.

Offline Grandmasternoob

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 14:19:44 »
maybe I'm stupid, but what is this secret date?
https://imgur.com/a/DjS5ZTD

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 14:26:40 »
maybe I'm stupid, but what is this secret date?
https://imgur.com/a/DjS5ZTD
Idk if you are asking about the delivery date or the GB timeframe, but in the great country of America, we use MM/DD/YYYY, so 08/06/2019 - 09/06/2019 is August 6th to September 6th.

If you are asking about the variance in delivery date, thats just an expected timeframe of the time it takes from the GB end to be shipped to the buyer. Manufacturing and QA takes place between GB end and estimated ship date. The variance of December to January is just a cushion in the case that something comes up that slows down production. You should mark your calendar for February

Offline spakecdk

• Browns are best
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 14:49:32 »
I was talking about the future version of polaris, which will be 65%. If that will have a blocker, i will wait for it instead.

Offline jooobe

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 15:12:41 »
I was talking about the future version of polaris, which will be 65%. If that will have a blocker, i will wait for it instead.
Ooof we are only day 2 of the GB brother, slow down

Offline Mekberg

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 15:36:49 »
If you choose the black matte brass weight as well as a brass plate, will the plate also be black matte PVD?

probably.

This seems like a quite important distinction to make. I was figuring on a black weight but I still would like a brass plate. Would be good to know what you’re getting.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 15:42:36 »
This seems like a quite important distinction to make. I was figuring on a black weight but I still would like a brass plate. Would be good to know what you’re getting.

I agree, as per the pictures it would look like you get both in black but it's best to get clarification of course. Hence me saying probably and not giving a definitive answer; hopefully ai03 will chime in when he can.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 16:12:06 »

I agree, as per the pictures it would look like you get both in black but it's best to get clarification of course. Hence me saying probably and not giving a definitive answer; hopefully ai03 will chime in when he can.

I believe I saw aio3 say you can leave a request in the 'note' section in his discord.

Offline jooobe

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 19:14:47 »
Rose gold render added on kbdfans

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 19:21:23 »

Looks godlike too

Offline jooobe

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 20:13:44 »

Looks godlike too
Perfect for SA bliss

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 20:47:50 »
I don’t think ai03 has made any promise about a future 65% Polaris. So just assume it may never happen.

Offline wootensims

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 22:24:57 »
Two questions. How serious is the polycarbonate warning? I always liked the way the TGR 910re polycarbonate looked, and I read some reviews that talked about some warping here and there--but it seemed that overall it wasn't anything deal breaking. Is there a reason to expect the polaris polycarbonate to be significantly worse than the TGR?

Second question. I'm going to get MT3 zerika, should I go e-yellow or polycarbonate?  :-\ I will be choosing a clear brass plate in either case.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 22:43:32 »
Two questions. How serious is the polycarbonate warning? I always liked the way the TGR 910re polycarbonate looked, and I read some reviews that talked about some warping here and there--but it seemed that overall it wasn't anything deal breaking. Is there a reason to expect the polaris polycarbonate to be significantly worse than the TGR?

Second question. I'm going to get MT3 zerika, should I go e-yellow or polycarbonate?  :-\ I will be choosing a clear brass plate in either case.
e yellow for the serika. In the words of the #1 artist in the world:

"Baby, it's a no brainer."
- Justin Bieber

Offline .Udon

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 23:17:04 »

That looks more Champagne :|
Rose Gold is very hard to capture and the hue changes depending on the light source. I have a Rose Gold Prism Switch Opener (designed by ai03, produced by kbdfans) and it's the same situation.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 August 2019, 23:18:37 by .Udon »

Offline lightingghost

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 23:33:32 »
Is there any pictures for polycarbonate samples?

Offline bengine

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 23:51:40 »

Offline jooobe

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 06:48:00 »
I think I will just go with black and clear brass, and extra set of poly plate and pcb

Offline Fabi

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 07:53:59 »
Just to get it right, on the KBDFans site it says
"Base kit contents:
- Case Hales
- plate
- pcb
- gasket, screws
-foam
"
Then you have the option to choose the plate and also put it into your cart.
Does it mean you have to purchase the plate separately or is it contained within the base kit (within the $225)?

Offline manzel

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 08:08:05 »
You have to order the plate seperately, but it gets added to cart automatically. The cheapest you can get is 250 USD: anodized case (225 USD) plus FR4 plate (25 USD).

Offline konradb

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 11:31:32 »
Some ano samples shared on Discord:

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 11:34:29 »
Still no green....

Offline xantiema

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 12:05:52 »
Is it an aluminium plate included in the kit for 265$? And then +40$ for a brass one?

Offline jooobe

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 12:20:30 »
Is it an aluminium plate included in the kit for 265$? And then +40$ for a brass one?
Nah, it's whatever the plate you chose

Offline phlux

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 12:21:55 »

Brass, FR-4, and PC are the only plate options. The $265 kit is anodized aluminum case, pcb, and a brass plate. When adding a Polaris to your cart, you will see the case/pcb and plate as two separate items.

Offline LubedNReady

• keep it kinky with Krytox
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 12:32:20 »

I thought seeing more samples would make my choice easier. It's not.

Purple...e-yellow..."burgundy"...OH MY
i fap with 205g0

Offline xantiema

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 12:58:45 »

Brass, FR-4, and PC are the only plate options. The $265 kit is anodized aluminum case, pcb, and a brass plate. When adding a Polaris to your cart, you will see the case/pcb and plate as two separate items.

Shows as 2 alright, but it is adding the price https://imgur.com/a/bwJymlZ

Offline phlux

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 13:10:23 »

You've chosen the e-white version, which is an extra $40. Your cart and total are correct for the e-white version with a brass plate.

Offline jooobe

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 14:01:47 »

You've chosen the e-white version, which is an extra $40. Your cart and total are correct for the e-white version with a brass plate.
Yup

Offline Vireca

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 14:08:02 »

No, half plates or soft materials like PC or POM are better for linear, because there isnt a bump and the bottom out its progressive. With a tactile the bottom out and actuation will feel a bit weird cuz the flexibility of PCB or plate. At least this is what people answer me. I had the same question

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 14:22:08 »

No, half plates or soft materials like PC or POM are better for linear, because there isnt a bump and the bottom out its progressive. With a tactile the bottom out and actuation will feel a bit weird cuz the flexibility of PCB or plate. At least this is what people answer me. I had the same question
... but progressive linear bottom out being better than a stiffer bottom out is subjective, as is tactility on flex material. Not everyone has the same taste.

Regardless, my opinions are objectively more correct than others, so when I say softer plates are better for linears, and stiffer plates are better for tactiles, you best believe that's the gospel truth.

Offline vegs

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 14:22:38 »

FYI all plate materials work for all MX-style switches 👍
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline NolaSwag

• 60%
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 14:42:07 »
Really considering ordering WKL black + matte black PVD full brass plate... How's the quality on other kbdfans boards?
Orange60 | X60 | M60-A | Polaris