Blue legends on White caps
61 (5.7%)
White legends on Black caps
72 (6.7%)
White legends on Red caps
32 (3%)
White legends on Blue caps
40 (3.7%)
Other colours (specified in the comment field)
35 (3.2%)
Blanks (no legends)
122 (11.3%)
Black legends on Grey caps
59 (5.5%)
White legends on Grey caps
31 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 346

Author Topic: Keycaps  (Read 414222 times)

Offline Reloaded

Re: Keycaps
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 05:14:44 »
Are there going to be replacement keycaps for the ergo pro available?

PLEASE! I love this keyboard so ****ing much but my keycaps are getting really really shiny and feeling awkward
Are the laser etched legends susceptible to stain or are they still pure white?

on a few of my keys the letters started fading away but my main problem is the fact that the keys just feel glossy and shiny if you know what I mean. I just really dislike the feel of abs keycaps after a period of usage. I compare the feeling with a few leopold pbt sets I own and the pbt granites. It's a whole other world and that's why I would love to use decent pbt keycaps on my ergo pro!
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 October 2015, 05:16:39 by Reloaded »

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 13:14:07 »
Hmm... That's kind of a problem. I like black keycaps but I really hate stained legends.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 13:33:44 »
Hmm... That's kind of a problem. I like black keycaps but I really hate stained legends.

I plan on getting a BoW set and dyeing them black, so it's black legends on black caps. Unless Matias sell these black-on-black caps directly, that is.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #353 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 13:48:26 »

I plan on getting a BoW set and dyeing them black, so it's black legends on black caps. Unless Matias sell these black-on-black caps directly, that is.
Great idea! If I dye the caps in different batches (I don't think I can find a large enough container to fit an entire set), is it likely that they end up in different shade?
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #354 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 13:53:35 »

Great idea! If I dye the caps in different batches (I don't think I can find a large enough container to fit an entire set), is it likely that they end up in different shade?

Haven't tried it yet, but my guess is yeah, they'll be different shades. Buy a cheap pot to dye them in. Maybe from a charity shop or something.

Offline chingdaotze

« Reply #355 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 10:07:19 »
Currently own a Quiet Pro for work, and looking to get a Tactile Pro for home.  Very excited for these keycaps!

Offline AfterPad

• AfterPad
« Reply #356 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 10:45:15 »
I use a Laptop Pro with my iPad, definitely looking forward to these!

Grabbed some of the doubleshot ABS Alps caps on Massdrop, and they're quite good, but I'd gladly trade them out for PBT Matias caps

Offline ImbaHue

« Reply #357 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 11:25:22 »

Grabbed some of the doubleshot ABS Alps caps on Massdrop, and they're quite good, but I'd gladly trade them out for PBT Matias caps

How's that working out for you? Since it's ABS, does it feel the same as the stock ones? Can't bring myself to get one from MD. 

Offline AfterPad

• AfterPad
« Reply #358 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 13:15:44 »

How's that working out for you? Since it's ABS, does it feel the same as the stock ones? Can't bring myself to get one from MD.

It's working well so far - I LOVE the feel of the new caps. They're ABS, yes, but they don't have the bumpiness of the laser etchings on the stock caps. They're a bit smoother, but in a good way - the grain of the plastic feels finer, if that makes sense.

My only issue is the fact that the layout doesn't perfectly translate to the Laptop Pro board. The modifiers fit, but they're slightly staggered, and only one shift key fits. Which is a shame, because the stock caps look far worse alongside the replacements.

It was my first time buying anything on MD, but no regrets

Offline Fuzzybear

« Reply #359 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 05:12:33 »
I also picked up a set of the Doubleshot ABS Dolch keycaps off MD, they are much better than my original Filco keycaps which started showing wear on the legends then went shiny within 8 months of use.

I'm still waiting for these PBT caps to come out, I've been waiting for a long time for a blank black PBT set!

Offline fuzzycuffs

« Reply #360 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 01:41:30 »
Any updates on these real PBT keycaps?  I feel the last update was "spending time in China" but yet still no ETA on release.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #361 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:44:18 »
Matias, is the production going well?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #362 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 23:18:41 »
I sent an email asking about these and the response was:

"Thanks for your email.
We are working on PBT key caps and hope to have some next year.

Please check back in the spring."

So let's hope Spring brings us PBT!

Offline Reloaded

« Reply #363 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 08:46:03 »
Im pretty sure thats exactly the same answer as last year :(
I really hope they are going to be released asap
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 November 2015, 08:52:05 by Reloaded »

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #364 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 09:42:41 »
Hopefully this will not be like Unicomp's SSK. I really want PBT on my ALPS board.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #365 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 13:54:22 »
Hopefully this will not be like Unicomp's SSK. I really want PBT on my ALPS board.

It's a little bit scary how quiet Matias has been about it since the trip to China. No news is good news... right...?

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #366 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 14:21:23 »

It's a little bit scary how quiet Matias has been about it since the trip to China. No news is good news... right...?

I don't know why Matias has to do everything. There have already been two Alps keyset buys just that I know of. There's no reason we can't do a GB (maybe through SP?) for thick PBT Alps blanks.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #367 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 15:32:48 »

I don't know why Matias has to do everything. There have already been two Alps keyset buys just that I know of. There's no reason we can't do a GB (maybe through SP?) for thick PBT Alps blanks.
I think SP only makes think PBT. Also I don't seem to see SP doing ALPS PBT that is not in DSA profile.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 November 2015, 16:11:20 by ctm »

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
Re: Keycap Tooling UPDATE
« Reply #368 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 16:39:40 »
Sorry for the radio silence -- lots of interesting stuff happening!  (and all taking longer than expected).  Anyway, on with the update...

I'm happy to report that the keycap tooling is essentially done -- with only a few minor things left to fix.

We've done sample injections in both ABS and PBT.  Both feel really great, and match up nicely with our previous caps -- so there's no issue mixing & matching new and old caps.

The main thing left to work out is how best to handle White legends on Black PBT.  Dyesub can't do this, so we're working with some material vendors to try and solve it.  It's the most common keycap colour, so it's really important that we find an acceptable solution.

We also received PBT doubleshot samples from Tai-Hao.  They're very nice, but they only cover the standard 101 keyset.  We're still waiting on the samples with transparent legends.

Let me know if there are any questions...

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #369 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 16:42:13 »

I think SP only makes think PBT. Also I don't seem to see SP doing ALPS PBT that is not in DSA profile.

We don't want thick PBT?

Not wanting DSA I understand.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #370 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 16:42:56 »
Sorry for the radio silence -- lots of interesting stuff happening!  (and all taking longer than expected).  Anyway, on with the update...

I'm happy to report that the keycap tooling is essentially done -- with only a few minor things left to fix.

We've done sample injections in both ABS and PBT.  Both feel really great, and match up nicely with our previous caps -- so there's no issue mixing & matching new and old caps.

The main thing left to work out is how best to handle White legends on Black PBT.  Dyesub can't do this, so we're working with some material vendors to try and solve it.  It's the most common keycap colour, so it's really important that we find an acceptable solution.

We also received PBT doubleshot samples from Tai-Hao.  They're very nice, but they only cover the standard 101 keyset.  We're still waiting on the samples with transparent legends.

Blanks solve all these problems.

Offline grav3serker

« Reply #371 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 16:57:48 »

Thanks for the update! I'm excited to see these. Is there going to be a black on black (HHKB style) set available by any chance?

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #372 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 17:27:34 »

We don't want thick PBT?

Not wanting DSA I understand.
Sorry that was a typo. I meant thin PBT.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 November 2015, 19:11:34 by ctm »

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #373 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 19:00:59 »

One way to have white on black dye-sub is to print a black legend mask on a white keycap and then cover the legend part and dye the entire keycap to black. I learn about this method from here https://www.etsy.com/listing/217761281/wasd-keycap-set-for-cherry-mx-switch?ref=shop_home_feat_3. Not sure if this is too time consuming for producing in mass quantity.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 November 2015, 19:08:21 by ctm »

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Matias

« Reply #374 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 20:22:08 »

Thanks for the update! I'm excited to see these. Is there going to be a black on black (HHKB style) set available by any chance?

It's unlikely to be a standard item -- but we do have a plan that could make it happen...

A major goal of ours is to facilitate group buys organized by the community.  That means more group buys, and lower MOQs for those group buys.

One way to have white on black dye-sub is to print a black legend mask on a white keycap and then cover the legend part and dye the entire keycap to black. I learn about this method from here https://www.etsy.com/listing/217761281/wasd-keycap-set-for-cherry-mx-switch?ref=shop_home_feat_3. Not sure if this is too time consuming for producing in mass quantity.

That is one of the ways we're considering, but it is more labour intensive -- because we'd have to separately dyesub the sides of the keys first, and then dyesub the legend.  It's an extra step, further complicated by the fact that the keys are not all the same shape.

It also has potential for longer life backlit keys.

Blanks solve all these problems.

I wish it were that simple...  :rolleyes:

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #375 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 20:32:16 »
For the legend part, any plan to make caps lock keycap with Ctrl legend?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Matias

« Reply #376 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 22:12:33 »

Yes, absolutely.  The Ergo Pro already supports swappable Caps/Ctrl, and so will our 60% keyboard.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #377 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 22:30:42 »

Yes, absolutely.  The Ergo Pro already supports swappable Caps/Ctrl, and so will our 60% keyboard.
Awesome!! Love to see Ctrl at the right place.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline zeroswitch

« Reply #378 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 01:07:22 »
Have you considered any option for front printed thick PBT keycaps?

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #379 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 05:57:25 »

Hi Matias,
If the only cause of delay is the WoB colourway, could you not just go to market with the other colourways sort of now-ish, and release the WoB's later when they're ready?

How about a cheeky little Black-on-Dark-Grey Group Buy, before the official release, while we're waiting?

How do those Tai-Hao PBT doubleshots sound? I tried their ABS doubleshots but didn't like the sound - it's higher pitched (relative to stock thin ABS) and makes my Click switches sound more like MX Blues - do the PBT's do the same thing?

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #380 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 19:40:26 »

Hi Matias,
If the only cause of delay is the WoB colourway, could you not just go to market with the other colourways sort of now-ish, and release the WoB's later when they're ready?

How about a cheeky little Black-on-Dark-Grey Group Buy, before the official release, while we're waiting?

How do those Tai-Hao PBT doubleshots sound? I tried their ABS doubleshots but didn't like the sound - it's higher pitched (relative to stock thin ABS) and makes my Click switches sound more like MX Blues - do the PBT's do the same thing?
+1 for Black-on-Dark-Grey GB!
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 December 2015, 22:12:23 by ctm »

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline grav3serker

« Reply #381 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 22:48:58 »

Hi Matias,

+1 for Black-on-Dark-Grey GB!
+2! :thumb:

Offline Matias

« Reply #382 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 00:57:49 »

Okay, good news...

Samples of the few remaining problematic keycaps arrived yesterday.  I will check them tomorrow.  If they are good, then the tooling is officially done.   :)

Also, it looks like we now have laser-etching working for White on Black PBT.  I'm waiting to receive samples.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #383 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 07:57:22 »

Okay, good news...

Samples of the few remaining problematic keycaps arrived yesterday.  I will check them tomorrow.  If they are good, then the tooling is officially done.   :)

Also, it looks like we now have laser-etching working for White on Black PBT.  I'm waiting to receive samples.
Awesome! Can't wait to see!  :thumb:

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Fuzzybear

« Reply #384 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 17:07:06 »
Excellent news! One step closer to those thick blank black PBT Keycaps!

Any approximate timeline for when production will kick off assuming the tooling is indeed officially done?
 ;D

Offline Matias

« Reply #385 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 18:08:52 »

Keycap tooling is officially DONE!   :cool:

Still waiting on samples of the White laser on Black PBT.  We won't be selling PBT caps until the legend printing process is worked out.  Best guess is Feb/March.  I'm booked for China mid-to-end of January.

Exciting things ahead...

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #386 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 19:30:25 »

Still waiting on samples of the White laser on Black PBT.  We won't be selling PBT caps until the legend printing process is worked out.  Best guess is Feb/March.  I'm booked for China mid-to-end of January.

Exciting things ahead...
ALPS revival!

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #387 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 19:31:45 »

Exciting things ahead...
Is dye-sub working?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Matias

« Reply #388 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 19:51:26 »

Exciting things ahead...

ALPS revival!

It will be more than a revival.  We're working on things never before seen.   :)

Is dye-sub working?

Dye-sub is a solved problem.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #389 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 22:47:11 »
This is great news! Thanks for all your hard work to make this happen, Matias.
So what about thick ABS? Is that happening? If so, would it use lasered legends for all colourways?

Offline Matias

« Reply #390 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 22:57:57 »
So what about thick ABS? Is that happening? If so, would it use lasered legends for all colourways?

We can do thick ABS and thick PBT.  We can also do backlit caps.

ABS would be laser or UV printing.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #391 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 01:37:11 »

Great! I assume you'll be selling both, but my preference for ABS would be for UV over laser+infill. The legends on my QuietPro and V80 became stained fairly quickly, and AFAIK there's no way to remove the stains.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #392 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 16:26:46 »
So when shall we have the group buy up and running? :cool:

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Matias

« Reply #393 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 19:13:30 »
So when shall we have the group buy up and running? :cool:

Can't answer that until we have the legend printing worked out.  Best guess is around March/April.  We're gearing up for CES now and Chinese New Year wipes out most of February.

Great! I assume you'll be selling both, but my preference for ABS would be for UV over laser+infill. The legends on my QuietPro and V80 became stained fairly quickly, and AFAIK there's no way to remove the stains.

Okay, noted.  BTW, for anyone who hasn't already voted, the poll is still open.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #394 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 06:09:56 »
Thick PBT blanks in white will be amazing. Can then be easily dyed to any color.

Thick PBT caps with black dyesub on white would also be awesome. (Again, can then be dyed any color.)

Offline Fuzzybear

« Reply #395 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 14:42:07 »

Have you tried "Retro-bright?" It's a DIY concoction of 3% - 5% Hydrogen Peroxide, Oxyclean and some corn starch, followed by short exposure to sunlight and some scrubbing.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #396 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 15:38:31 »

Have you tried "Retro-bright?" It's a DIY concoction of 3% - 5% Hydrogen Peroxide, Oxyclean and some corn starch, followed by short exposure to sunlight and some scrubbing.
Will retro bright also whiten the black keycap itself?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #397 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 02:12:47 »

So I need to retrobrite my stock WoB lasered caps every 3 months? Not keen :(

Offline Fuzzybear

« Reply #398 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 08:24:23 »

No, it doesn't bleach black keycaps, it maybe could if you use some very high (lab grade) concentration of hydrogen peroxide, but even then I doubt it.

Offline Matias

« Reply #399 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 01:20:55 »

Okay, I've got the lasered PBT samples.  Legends are still a little dark and not white enough, so we're going to keep working on it.

Will keep you posted...