Author Topic: [GB] ELEMENTO X zFrontier. Fr87 GB ended.  (Read 106432 times)

Offline RavenPanther

Re: [GB] ELEMENTO X zFrontier. Fr87 GB ended.
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 16:42:36 »
Honestly, with non-Asian orders, zFrontier probably has the worst correspondence of any vendor I've ever dealt with. It's pretty much enough to make me never purchase anything from them ever again. I've heard only good things for people in Asia though so I guess we know where their priorities lie.

Back when the GB started, I was getting good correspondence (at least as far as emails go) from both the support email as well as Alex, himself.

My email account has that function. See the attachment below :(
I don’t want to purchase anymore either even I live in Korea next to China. People in my community also blame them.

Interesting, I wonder if mine has that option and I just haven't found it. And that's a shame to hear, I only bought into this GB, being my first, based on all the positive comments zFrontier had at the time.

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 16:45:39 »
I recieved mine today!

I am very happy with the overall finish of the board, the ano is very clean. The board is lighter and the material feels thinner than I expected but its not bad. The case feels hollow currently however that might change once I have got switches installed. Also the weight will increase when the 4x AAA's are installed.

The box it comes in is very impressive, the foam is pretty nice. The box could easily be dropped and the board not feel a thing.

The PCB is interesting, it has some caps soldered directly to it, something that I havent seen before. They stick out quite a way and might restrict what you can have under i.e foam, sorbathane etc

The one thing I am a little dissapointed at is the firmware which is being used on the board. From what I have been able to find so far, there is no software to control the board. There is a dip switch on the backside which allows me to change from ISO to ANSI. Then the rest of the RGB controls etc are pre setup shortcuts. However I have no way of changing my caps lock to a locking caps lock (Making my purchase of Cherry lock switches redundant). I am not someone who uses FN keys however I cant really see a way of adding these...

Offline wildcat

« Reply #302 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 03:01:41 »

uploaded a fr87 build video.
still no answers from zfron. :(

Offline plus_one

« Reply #303 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 11:42:13 »

uploaded a fr87 build video.
still no answers from zfron. :(
Nice video!  Does that last lighting mode show different lighting under keys that change functionality when the menu/layer key is pressed?  That's really cool (and would be even cooler if the layer keys were programmable)

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #304 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 23:30:36 »
Very happy to be able to type this message up. My FR87 arrived today!

I received a shipping notification about two or three days ago. Said it would be arriving the 21st by 8pm. Got an updated test last night saying it'd arrive today, and it managed to come just before I was off to work! I got a chance to open it up and visually inspect everything. This board is absolutely gorgeous! At some point I felt a little uneasy with what I spent on it, but between the build quality and the packaging, I'd venture to say it's worth it.

Alex emailed me yesterday (prior to getting an updating shipping notification) that the board had been shipped and apologized, saying that they threw in a bit extra that I had emailed about way back at the start of the buy. I'd rather not go into detail as I think it was just a kind gesture for my specific situation. When the package arrived, it was packed very well, wrapped several times over with bubblewrap, and quite a bit of tape. All the components inside came in 'frosted' bags, and while I don't think they're anti-static bags, I didn't seem to experience any issues with static. That said, I haven't had a change to test the board yet.

Sadly, I don't have any pictures yet, but anything that I could take would be very similar to what's been posted above. All in all, at least visually, I'm very happy with the board. I can't wait to get a chance to sit down and get it set up.

Offline Dubbvis

« Reply #305 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 12:21:00 »
Probably a reach, but does anyone have an extra full plate that they would be willing to sell?

Offline tusing

« Reply #306 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 06:30:44 »
Beautiful board, but the fact that I cannot remap the switches makes this a $400 paperweight.

When we originally bought the board, if I understand correctly, the intention was that even though the board may not use QMK, we'd be able to remap stuff.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #307 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 03:44:13 »
Still no response about my missing brass weight. Anyone had luck contacting zfrontier?

Offline plus_one

« Reply #308 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 13:04:00 »
Beautiful board, but the fact that I cannot remap the switches makes this a $400 paperweight.

When we originally bought the board, if I understand correctly, the intention was that even though the board may not use QMK, we'd be able to remap stuff.

I had the same assumption, and I'm disappointed that the keys aren't remappable at all.  If they could do anything to address that, I'd be very happy.  I hope you can sell it to make your money back if it's really useless to you as-is.  I know I'd be tempted to buy that brass plate if you sold it alone, but I can't justify the full board sadly.

Still no response about my missing brass weight. Anyone had luck contacting zfrontier?

I hear back when I reach out using the support@zfrontier.com email within 1-2 days, but that's only been for status updates on the GB as a whole.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #309 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 14:42:27 »
Trying to test my pcbs and having some trouble connecting the main cable. Can someone confirm the direction the thing should be facing? I'm assuming the open side of the connector should be facing upwards when plugging it into the pcb? 
edit: Got it, open side up indeed. Just had to be patient and push harder. Kinda scary ha. Anyone rip the red wires out of the connector thing yet?
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 June 2019, 15:14:29 by lakeboredom »

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #310 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 15:16:37 »

I hear back when I reach out using the support@zfrontier.com email within 1-2 days, but that's only been for status updates on the GB as a whole.
Got a response last night thankfully. I'd been using contact@zfrontier with their website support button. Thanks for the info on the other email.

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #311 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 16:30:51 »
Here is my FR87 Built up! Glad that it is finally built! The board feels way better once built!

Much like WildCat, I have had the same PCB issue where the number 8 switch grounds on the case. A bit of tape over the switch pins sorted this right out however this is a rather large oversight from ZFrontier/ Elemento, but hey what else was to be expected?

I have also dinged Alex to see if there is any software for the board incoming, however nothing back yet. I would quite like to use the lock switches I bought, but also I would like a GUI button on the right side of the bottom row...

Offline plus_one

« Reply #312 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 17:37:36 »
Here is my FR87 Built up! Glad that it is finally built! The board feels way better once built!

Show Image

Much like WildCat, I have had the same PCB issue where the number 8 switch grounds on the case. A bit of tape over the switch pins sorted this right out however this is a rather large oversight from ZFrontier/ Elemento, but hey what else was to be expected?

I have also dinged Alex to see if there is any software for the board incoming, however nothing back yet. I would quite like to use the lock switches I bought, but also I would like a GUI button on the right side of the bottom row...
That's a great looking build!  PLEASE let us know if you hear anything about software.  If this board was programmable I'd almost forgive the delays... almost...

Offline tusing

« Reply #313 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 04:59:54 »
Where's the programmability we were promised?
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 July 2019, 05:01:26 by tusing »

Offline aszyd

« Reply #314 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 08:56:21 »
Have these shipped to US customers yet? I haven't gotten a shipping invoice yet and need to know if I need to start reaching out to ZF about my order.

Offline Starston3

« Reply #315 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 09:12:46 »
Have these shipped to US customers yet? I haven't gotten a shipping invoice yet and need to know if I need to start reaching out to ZF about my order.

Yes... i received mine about 2 weeks ago, there were others that got theirs before me.

Offline shansoft

« Reply #316 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 20:32:08 »
Is there anyway I can change the key mapping of this keyboard?

Or at least swapping the alt and winkey position.

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #317 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 08:54:27 »
Mine landed a few weeks back but it has just sat in the box as don’t think there is any way to programme the board at present.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #318 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 03:48:04 »
This should work with the fr87, right guys?
https://mkultra.click/collections/tkl/products/a87-plate-foam

Offline Starston3

« Reply #319 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 08:37:53 »
This should work with the fr87, right guys?
https://mkultra.click/collections/tkl/products/a87-plate-foam

Looks like it might. Though from some of the video reviews posted, it doesn’t do much to reduce sound.

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #320 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 16:57:49 »
Finished building my Fr87. So far very happy with it. Here are some potato pics with GMK Shoko

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #321 on: Fri, 29 November 2019, 16:54:06 »
Did anyone see this update on the zFrontier page?

Fr87 by Elemento

Working on a PCB replacement for all orders.

https://en.zfrontier.com/blogs/project-updates/project-updates-nov-15th-2019

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #322 on: Fri, 29 November 2019, 19:37:55 »
Any idea what it might be about? Havent built mine yet, sounds worrying.

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #323 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 18:39:06 »
My only assumption is the left shift which is slightly off alignment...

Has anyone used this board over Bluetooth?

Offline plus_one

« Reply #324 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 17:32:05 »

I've honestly been hesitant to build it, given that they are working on a replacement.  I haven't tested the PCB yet, but I could try pulling it out and testing it without soldering switches onto it

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #325 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 09:13:50 »

I've honestly been hesitant to build it, given that they are working on a replacement.  I haven't tested the PCB yet, but I could try pulling it out and testing it without soldering switches onto it

The fix might be down to the PCB grounding on the case. I completely forgot I had to install electrical tape on the PCB to stop it from touching the case and those keys not working.