Author Topic: Idea for group buy section  (Read 9551 times)

Offline ManicMatt1125

Idea for group buy section
« on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:29:41 »
Forgive me if this has been brought up already, but I think if the group buy section was divided into 2, active group buys and completed group buys, it would make it easier to look through. Say I wanted to participate in a group buy. I would simply navigate to the active group buy section and voila, everything I see is live and able to be purchased. I beilive this may also increase numbers sold as it will make new members instant access to active group buys without having to search through completed group buys. Just my .02

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: Idea for group buy section
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 22:53:17 »
You may not have noticed the topmost sticky in the Group Buys forum, "Currently Running Group Buys," but that's the intent of the thread.

It happens to be a bit out-of-date at the moment but the thread is maintained by the the moderators, who would be responsible for moving GB's to and from the current & completed subforums if Geekhack used your idea instead.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 23:15:33 »
You may not have noticed the topmost sticky in the Group Buys forum, "Currently Running Group Buys," but that's the intent of the thread.

It happens to be a bit out-of-date at the moment but the thread is maintained by the the moderators, who would be responsible for moving GB's to and from the current & completed subforums if Geekhack used your idea instead.

I always think that sticky post actually makes a post less noticeable

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 23:20:04 »

I always think that sticky post actually makes a post less noticeable

It's due to banner blindness, caused by over-saturation of ads on websites and search engines. Stickies are in the same spot as sponsored search results, so many people look right past them.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 06:51:50 »

Ah, ok I see your point. In a perfect world right?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 09:26:31 »
Also, at the very bottom of the board index where no one ever looks is a "Feedback/Suggestions" forum.

It's also where Site Announcements lives, another no-man's land.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 10:37:01 »
Moved to Feedback/Suggestions.

As has been already said, this is the intention of the list of currently running GBs.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 10:50:50 »

Awww, I just made an announcement the other day...  :(  Not good enough for ya, eh??  >:D

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 10:55:12 »
Is this going to happen?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 10:58:11 »

Awww, I just made an announcement the other day...  :(  Not good enough for ya, eh??  >:D

Are you talking about the capitalization announcement? Compelling stuff.

My boards:
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 10:59:21 »

That was the joke.  :(

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 11:02:35 »

That was the joke.  :(

My boards:
More

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 11:14:45 »

I thought it was great!

While we're in the Feedback/Suggestions forum, perhaps I'll make one to suggest moving the "geekhack Business" group of forums to the top of the index. It is rather peculiar that announcements aren't really announced very widely...
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 11:21:40 »

I thought it was great!

While we're in the Feedback/Suggestions forum, perhaps I'll make one to suggest moving the "geekhack Business" group of forums to the top of the index. It is rather peculiar that announcements aren't really announced very widely...

We might have to consider something like that.  I also now have access to the 'News' ticker at the top, so may be adding some things there (assuming most people haven't collapsed that whole header xD ).

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 12:57:16 »

Nah, making Group Buys easier to navigate.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 22:54:50 »
Or in the extreme case a single group buys forum, with sub-forums for interest checks, taking orders, manufacturing, sorting, shipping and finished.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 14:56:17 »
Or in the extreme case a single group buys forum, with sub-forums for interest checks, taking orders, manufacturing, sorting, shipping and finished.

Yes. That would be ideal. I would imagine that it would require a lot of work on the part of the mods tho....

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 14:59:16 »
We might have to consider something like that.  I also now have access to the 'News' ticker at the top, so may be adding some things there (assuming most people haven't collapsed that whole header xD ).

I don't see a news ticker anywhere and wasn't aware I collapsed it... is there anything in it?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 15:40:18 »

I don't see a news ticker anywhere and wasn't aware I collapsed it... is there anything in it?

On the default theme (nostalgia), it is below the search bar in the top right corner. If you don't see a bolded "News", you have it collapsed.

It cycles through a few things, but only updates when you navigate to a new page. I know it has been occasionally used to announce planned downtime in the past.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 16:14:03 »

On the default theme (nostalgia), it is below the search bar in the top right corner. If you don't see a bolded "News", you have it collapsed.

It cycles through a few things, but only updates when you navigate to a new page. I know it has been occasionally used to announce planned downtime in the past.
[/quote

Wow, I never noticed that before. I use Austere (like everyone cool), and the little collapse button has the faintest little icon in the far upper-right corner. I actually didn't see it at all until I temporarily switched back to the default theme, wiped the blood from my eyes, and hurried back in utter contrition to Austere.

My boards:
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 16:17:53 »

Wow, I never noticed that before. I use Austere (like everyone cool), and the little collapse button has the faintest little icon in the far upper-right corner. I actually didn't see it at all until I temporarily switched back to the default theme, wiped the blood from my eyes, and hurried back in utter contrition to Austere.

If Nostalgia makee your eyes bleed I dare you to try and reply using Oranje :eek:

I had it collapsed too, now I know where people get the "hello XXXXX" screenshots for their classifieds!  Thanks user 18 :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline moosiey

• New to the Community~!
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 22:37:25 »
I agree that these active groups buys also need to be organized with sales. I just recently found out about the Binge sale and put $150 into it. If someone hadn't have told me I wouldn't have even known. Plus, the sticky for active buys is SO old. Even the cherokey buy is still up....

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 22:57:47 »
Yeah, that's just what a busy group buy organizer needs...another thing to think about. "Did I move my thread into the correct forum after everything was complete?"
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 23:17:43 »
I agree that these active groups buys also need to be organized with sales. I just recently found out about the Binge sale and put $150 into it. If someone hadn't have told me I wouldn't have even known. Plus, the sticky for active buys is SO old. Even the cherokey buy is still up....

Yeah, infiniti has been out lately.  He's the one who usually updates that page.

If you're worried about missing a group buy, just set the subforum to Notify.  You'll get an email when a new thread goes up.  Or just check it every once in awhile to see new threads. 

Edit: Also, the Binge thing is in his artisan subforum; it's not a group buy.  That wouldn't have been on the list.  Again, setting their subforum to notify will solve all problems.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2015, 23:19:59 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 23:18:54 »

Yeah, infiniti has been out lately.  He's the one who usually updates that page.

If you're worried about missing a group buy, just set the subforum to Notify.  You'll get an email when a new thread goes up.  Or just check it every once in awhile to see new threads.

Good tip. Thank you.