Author Topic: Hiya  (Read 3380 times)

Offline iArson

Hiya
« on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:09:23 »
Hi everyone, just wanted to say hello. Although I've purchased from a few great people on here I'm not much of a talker and decided to come out of my shell. I'm fairly new with mechanical keyboards, started with the black widow and now have a Filco Majestouch 2. I am curious as to what to look into next. I was looking at the HHKB Pro 2, but I don't know how that compares to any of the others. Thanks in advanced :)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Hiya
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:28:42 »
I don't know how the HHKB compares either, but I want to buy one to try it out... Some swear by them (or Topre in general). Maybe some boards with other switches (assuming you haven't tried most of the common MX ones)?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:28:54 »
Oh, and welcome! Talk more.

Offline iArson

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 16:59:16 »
No I have not tried the more common ones. Friend said to look into MX Cherry Red. When I saw a post with the HHBK I fell in love although there would be an adjustment with the layout difference. And I will try to speak more! Going to do the best I can to get an awesome Christmas gift for myself :p Thanksfoe the welcome!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 18:28:31 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Have you got any custom key caps (yet)?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iArson

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 19:16:47 »
I bought one of the Clack caps, was just too cool looking to pass up (although I haven't gotten it yet), as well as a few MiMiC Cables and a few random caps. Hopefully the sanctuary set is obtainable soon :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 19:18:18 »
You have a CC?  Lucky you :)

Some people have been trying for months to get one with no luck.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iArson

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 19:25:26 »
Yeah, I went out on a limb and spent enough on it to get another board. Sadly my computer and the things for it cost more than my car :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2012, 20:13:56 by iArson »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 20:42:18 »
It happens, and your wallet shrivels up and dies.

Welcome to Wallethack!

Offline iArson

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 20:49:23 »
lol they can have all money with all this awesome stuff. Noob question, those iron man caps. Where did those bad boys come from?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 20:54:51 »
Forum member girldc makes them. There are also Punisher ones, Darth Vaders, and others being made.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 20:59:00 »
girldc - a forum member.  About $150 each!

Offline iArson

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 21:04:09 »
Oh I'm so excited now. Should I just PM her, every one I've seen has only been for trade.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 21:08:47 »
There is still the possibility to place an order for a Darth Vader in either black, silver, or gold. The others are done, so I don't think PMing him will do any good.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 21:09:51 »
There was a very limited run of ironman - each one takes him a while to make.

You might be able to pick one up second hand - have a look in Classifieds from time to time.

And somewhere there were pictures of him actually making one, sorry can't search now.

Offline iArson

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 21:13:11 »
There is still the possibility to place an order for a Darth Vader in either black, silver, or gold. The others are done, so I don't think PMing him will do any good.

Last I checked the Vader was closed :/ I'll recheck in a sec.

And thanks Rowdy :D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 21:15:20 »
PM Choi Young Gyoo to ask.

Offline iArson

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 21:22:33 »
Just did, crossing my fingers! Now I did a bit more research on the board that I'm using now and its a Cherry MX Black. I also read that there is a huge similarity between Black and Red. Is that the case? And what do you guys prefer?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 22:05:51 »
Black is linear with a stiff spring.  Red is also linear, but has a softer spring.

I have not tried red, but I like blacks.

However my daily driver has MX blues.

Offline iArson

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 22:50:24 »
The black widow I believe has blues. I loved that keyboard :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 23:02:03 »
Apparently the blues in a BlackWidow do not compare to the blues in, say, a Filco or a CoolerMaster.  A few people have observed a fairly significant difference.

Offline iArson

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 23:09:54 »
Cheaper grade of key maybe? Then again the Black Widow is quite inexpensive. I'm curious if that goes the same for the Ultimate.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 03:47:38 »
No, same switch, just lower quality construction generally.  BlackWidow Ultimates are is made by iONE, who's quality is, shall we say, not quite up there with the rest of them.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 04:38:54 »
Welcome, iArson. Don't take offense to this, but for some that doesn't know the basic switches yet, man... you sure are going big with the spending and the rare caps searches already haha.

Offline iArson

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 07:58:59 »
Lol none taken at all. Just blown away by such great craftsmanship. Doesn't help that I'm a sucker for anything involving Marvel or Star Wars.