Author Topic: [GB] ComPact SQ - 1800 Inspired [COMPLETE]  (Read 305419 times)

Offline lac29

Re: [GB] ComPact SQ - 1800 Inspired [Shipping]
« Reply #550 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 23:43:42 »
I just found out about this and wanted to double check ... this group buy is over right?  The deadline is passed I think based on the original post?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #551 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 23:45:20 »
I just found out about this and wanted to double check ... this group buy is over right?  The deadline is passed I think based on the original post?

correct but more group buys for different layouts are to come

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #552 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 00:20:34 »
Hmmmm. Seeing these boards with the aluminium plate is making me start to regret not picking one up with my order haha.

Offline breitling

« Reply #553 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 00:50:50 »
Looking awesome - can't wait to get mine! I'm in BC too but did not get mine today :(

Offline building_an_ergo

« Reply #554 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 02:08:39 »
Hmmmm. Seeing these boards with the aluminium plate is making me start to regret not picking one up with my order haha.

I agree! I thought just the top plate being aluminum would look terrible, but it actually looks great.

I doesn't help that mine is still sitting there with only enough keycaps to cover half of it...

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #555 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 08:37:10 »

I agree! I thought just the top plate being aluminum would look terrible, but it actually looks great.

I doesn't help that mine is still sitting there with only enough keycaps to cover half of it...

Haha I know what you mean. I got the "coke set" and plan on putting that on the board. But for now I have a granite set with a non granite num pad ready to go. the font is a bit different but at least it is the same profile.
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline Glissant

« Reply #556 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 10:50:03 »
First of all I want to thank azhdar for their amazing offer to help me get this board built. Second of all I decided I didn't want to wait, so I desoldered my mx mini-u instead xD.
And I have to say that my lubed 68g gaterons feel amazing with this board. I took some half assed photos as I don't have the light to set up a good shot.

And here's the album with some random shots.

http://imgur.com/a/eNhtS

Offline Dee1

« Reply #557 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 11:55:48 »
I picked mine up from the post office today! I won't have time to look at it until I'm home though. :(

Thanks for the awesome GB! :D

Offline WinterIsle

« Reply #558 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 12:48:46 »
First of all I want to thank azhdar for their amazing offer to help me get this board built. Second of all I decided I didn't want to wait, so I desoldered my mx mini-u instead xD.
And I have to say that my lubed 68g gaterons feel amazing with this board. I took some half assed photos as I don't have the light to set up a good shot.

Show Image

And here's the album with some random shots.

http://imgur.com/a/eNhtS
I think you forgot to peel off the plastic wrap on the other side of the acryl plate  :eek:
Nice Keyboard and pictures despite of the "H"

Offline Glissant

« Reply #559 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 12:59:57 »
Nope didn't forget. Just decided that i wouldn't remove it since it's on the bottom. I almost left the top layer on too, but it had lifted on a corner so I had to remove it because it was ugly :D

Offline breitling

« Reply #560 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 14:53:57 »
so I've been messing around with my board, took it apart to do indicator LED's cause I originally forgot. when I did this I noticed a small problem, 2 dead RGB led's.. luckily one of them was only slighty messed up one of the 4 leads wasn't soldered on so it wouldn't do green but a quick solder fixed that one.. the other one seems to be stuck doing whatever the hell it wants.. which is sort of a pain and I'd like to replace it.

so @Leeku is there a part number I could order to replace this LED? or what this kind of SMD is  it called... just want to make sure I get the right kind. Also are the RGB led's glued to the PCB or something? I tried to desolder it to take it off since it was slightly annoying me but I didn't want to force it off..

Just received mine, and it already comes with two extra RGB LED's in the package with all the screws. Did you check yours?

Offline Glissant

« Reply #561 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 15:12:04 »
so I've been messing around with my board, took it apart to do indicator LED's cause I originally forgot. when I did this I noticed a small problem, 2 dead RGB led's.. luckily one of them was only slighty messed up one of the 4 leads wasn't soldered on so it wouldn't do green but a quick solder fixed that one.. the other one seems to be stuck doing whatever the hell it wants.. which is sort of a pain and I'd like to replace it.

so @Leeku is there a part number I could order to replace this LED? or what this kind of SMD is  it called... just want to make sure I get the right kind. Also are the RGB led's glued to the PCB or something? I tried to desolder it to take it off since it was slightly annoying me but I didn't want to force it off..

Just received mine, and it already comes with two extra RGB LED's in the package with all the screws. Did you check yours?

No extra RGB LEDs in my package with the screws.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #562 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 15:19:18 »

None in mine, do you mean indicator LEDs? I'm talking about the square ones on PCB.

Offline breitling

« Reply #563 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 16:34:33 »

None in mine, do you mean indicator LEDs? I'm talking about the square ones on PCB.

No, The square RGB LEDs.. I took a pic of them - there are two in mine. Mine did not come with indicator LEDs.. did yours??

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #564 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 16:54:07 »

No, The square RGB LEDs.. I took a pic of them - there are two in mine. Mine did not come with indicator LEDs.. did yours??

nope I didnt get indicators just making sure you we were talking about the same thing.. I wish mine had some LEDS  :(

Offline 1deeg

« Reply #565 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 01:25:03 »
Holy crap. These look amazing. I need to pay more attention to the GB board :-X

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #566 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 06:06:20 »
yayyyy my board finally comes  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

its my first time build a custom board and i want to ask something..
i want to build my numpad like this

but since the acrylic plate on numpad is blocking the switch
i should cut the acry like this

so what i want to ask, is it okay to solder a switch pcb mounted?

Offline Glissant

« Reply #567 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 12:15:32 »
If your switches are PCB mount (with the small two pins on the sides if the center nub) then you'll be fine :).

Offline Dansor

« Reply #568 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 13:28:47 »
Got my stuff, and except for a minor issue that is being resolved easily, it just looks spectacular.
I am so psyched to get this thing assembled.

So, I'm curious for opinions.
I ordered those clip-on pads from Massdrop, and was thinking about using them with this build.
But, I believe they only work with PCB-mounted switches.

Assuming this board can be properly assembled without the plate (I believe it can), how do you think this board would fair without a plate?
Comfortable?  Not comfortable?  Explode in a fiery inferno?

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #569 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 13:39:52 »
Got my stuff, and except for a minor issue that is being resolved easily, it just looks spectacular.
I am so psyched to get this thing assembled.

So, I'm curious for opinions.
I ordered those clip-on pads from Massdrop, and was thinking about using them with this build.
But, I believe they only work with PCB-mounted switches.

Assuming this board can be properly assembled without the plate (I believe it can), how do you think this board would fair without a plate?
Comfortable?  Not comfortable?  Explode in a fiery inferno?

I'm pretty sure you need a plate for it.

Offline Dansor

« Reply #570 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 14:10:56 »

Ah yes, you are correct.  You absolutely need the plate for the stabs, anyway.
I think it's time to start soldering tonight.  So psyched to get this board moving.
Thanks again Leeku and Meiosis!  :thumb:

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #571 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 14:19:16 »

Ah yes, you are correct.  You absolutely need the plate for the stabs, anyway.
I think it's time to start soldering tonight.  So psyched to get this board moving.
Thanks again Leeku and Meiosis!  :thumb:
Its not the stabs stabs are PCB mounted, its the fact that there is no screw ins on PCB it connects to rest of the case with the plate.

Offline Phirr

• If you don't work you die.
« Reply #572 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 14:57:57 »
Did anyone with an acrylic plate have problems closing the switches? The plate's like a mm too thick to keep me from closing them.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #573 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:01:27 »
Did anyone with an acrylic plate have problems closing the switches? The plate's like a mm too thick to keep me from closing them.
Closing them? Are you trying to do switch top removal because the plates don't support it.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #574 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:37:43 »
Closing them? Are you trying to do switch top removal because the plates don't support it.

Sounds like it but I hope not.

Offline Phirr

« Reply #575 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:42:43 »
I mean do I have to glue the switches in? Top and bottom do not clip together.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #576 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:44:42 »
I mean do I have to glue the switches in? Top and bottom do not clip together.

There should never really be glue involved with keyboards. Could you upload a picture to help us better understand?
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Phirr

« Reply #577 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:47:09 »
Nevermind I'm just dumb. The switches just slot in. I've only built kbs before where you had to remove the switch top and sandwich the plate in.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #578 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:49:02 »
Nevermind I'm just dumb. The switches just slot in. I've only built kbs before where you had to remove the switch top and sandwich the plate in.

No worries, once the switches are soldered in then it will all hold together just fine between the switches, plate, and PCB. :thumb:

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #579 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:05:48 »
got my jtk stormtrooper in the mail.. Canadapost has been so nice to me lately ! :eek

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #580 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:51:31 »
Show Image
got my jtk stormtrooper in the mail.. Canadapost has been so nice to me lately ! :eek

Very nice! I'm so excited for my set to come in as well, kicking myself for not picking up a Compact SQ. The simplicity of BoW caps and Silver anodization looks amazing. :thumb:

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #581 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 17:05:14 »
Mines landed here (Quebec, Canada) safe and sound. Thanks leeku for marking it as a gift  :-*

Build will commence shortly, this thing is amazing, can't wait to light up those duck feet!

Offline Dee1

« Reply #582 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 17:15:54 »
I'm wishing now that I had bought the alu skin as well... it looks incredible! :D

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #583 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 19:42:38 »
If your switches are PCB mount (with the small two pins on the sides if the center nub) then you'll be fine :).

im use zealio and it had two pin on the side, so i guess it will be fine :thumb:
ty for the help.
oh yeah another question, should i clipped the two pins if im go for plate mounted?

Offline Glissant

« Reply #584 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 19:56:06 »

im use zealio and it had two pin on the side, so i guess it will be fine :thumb:
ty for the help.
oh yeah another question, should i clipped the two pins if im go for plate mounted?
No just keep the switches the way they are. The pins will only help you ☺

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #585 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 21:08:43 »

ty for the help.
No just keep the switches the way they are. The pins will only help you ☺

you really a big help :) . thanks again glissant. :thumb: :-*

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #586 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 22:51:01 »
Got mine built. Typing on it right now  :D

Just need to play about with the firmware tool to get the layout I want, but overall I'm very impressed.

Downside to the Alu bottom skin is that almost no light gets into the duck feet  :(

Lil preview of my build:

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 January 2016, 00:02:40 by nathanrosspowell »

Offline McPwned

« Reply #587 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 14:44:03 »
Picked up my board today.  I'm excited to put this thing together; please forgive me however, for I am an idiot and have to ask: what is the correct way to remove the "bookends" on the PCB?  Are you supposed to just snap it off?  I started to do that, and the entire PCB creaked like I was about to shatter it.  I think I'm just being paranoid, but I could use some confirmation, as one would reassure a toddler.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #588 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 14:52:32 »
Picked up my board today.  I'm excited to put this thing together; please forgive me however, for I am an idiot and have to ask: what is the correct way to remove the "bookends" on the PCB?  Are you supposed to just snap it off?  I started to do that, and the entire PCB creaked like I was about to shatter it.  I think I'm just being paranoid, but I could use some confirmation, as one would reassure a toddler.

Yes they are to be snapped off. Just put your thumbs on either side of the dashed part and turn your hands inwards, slow and steady, there is now way the PCB should be creaking  :eek:

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #589 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 15:42:02 »

Just need to play about with the firmware tool to get the layout I want, but overall I'm very impressed.

Downside to the Alu bottom skin is that almost no light gets into the duck feet  :(

Lil preview of my build:

Show Image

very nice build! where did you end up getting ano screws I've been looking around to find a good selection?

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #590 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 16:12:00 »

Lil preview of my build:

Show Image

very nice build! where did you end up getting ano screws I've been looking around to find a good selection?

It was a RC enthusiasts site in the UK (where my family are based)  :(  Looked hard and couldn't find anything the right spec anywhere else.

Offline McPwned

« Reply #591 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 16:30:28 »
Yes they are to be snapped off. Just put your thumbs on either side of the dashed part and turn your hands inwards, slow and steady, there is now way the PCB should be creaking  :eek:

Yeah, was perfectly fine.

Switches are all in place now, ready for soldering.  Too bad I didn't get any indicator LEDs with the kit - weird, 'cause I thought I asked for them.  Guess I'll have to scrounge up a few post-haste.

Offline drewba

« Reply #592 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 17:40:30 »

Lil preview of my build:

Show Image

Holy balls batman, hyperfuse looks so good with the aluminum top case. Nice work!

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #593 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 17:48:00 »

It was a RC enthusiasts site in the UK (where my family are based)  :(  Looked hard and couldn't find anything the right spec anywhere else.

Whats the spec exactly? Probably gonna end up getting some screws, would love to know!

Offline McPwned

« Reply #594 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 22:17:15 »

Very pleased!  Thanks leeku!

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #595 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:21:46 »
Show Image

Show Image

Very pleased!  Thanks leeku!

Real nice  :thumb:  I had considered going for the split space bar and Gateron PBT blanks myself! But, hyperfuse called  :cool:

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #596 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 17:27:59 »

Lil preview of my build:

Show Image

Just saw your full post on /mk so I can safely say you should have some RGBs to solder on specifically for the feet. That would be why you don't have any color in them! Take a look:

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #597 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 17:36:40 »

Lil preview of my build:

Show Image

Just saw your full post on /mk so I can safely say you should have some RGBs to solder on specifically for the feet. That would be why you don't have any color in them! Take a look:
Show Image

OH! Thanks a bunch man!  :D

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #598 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 17:38:35 »

Lil preview of my build:

Show Image

Show Image

U just made my day :)
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #599 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 17:42:57 »

Lil preview of my build:

Show Image

Show Image

I don't know what I'm looking at regarding the LEDs for the feet.