Author Topic: Alternative heating method for coiling cables  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Jitsclick

Alternative heating method for coiling cables
« on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 09:29:50 »
When i was following a tutorial for making a custom coiled usb cable, I found that the tutorial called for a heat gun or a hair dryer. I did not have a heat gun so I tried to use and hair dryer. The hair dryer did not get hot enough. In my moment of genius is decided to put the cable in the oven. The coil was wrapped around a PVC tube and had paracord sleeving.
I put it in the oven at 95°C for 10 minutes and checked the softness of the PVC tube regularly. I find this method much easier and more fool proof than even using a heat gun.
Have more people tried using this method? I could not find a lot of info about this method.

Offline nevin

Re: Alternative heating method for coiling cables
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 10:21:06 »
whatever works. i'd probably use something that couldn't melt though. you're awful close to melting temp (going by a google search for melting point of pvc)
Melting point   100 °C (212 °F) to 260 °C (500 °F)

the slow EVEN temp ramp up & cool down is probably a benefit of this method.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Coreda

Re: Alternative heating method for coiling cables
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 11:45:21 »
Have more people tried using this method? I could not find a lot of info about this method.

Using the oven is the conventional method, from what I've seen on the subject. I've also seen some custom cable makers include it in their DIY guides, such as Zapcables.