geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Do you use Win10 and if so, why?

(1/94) > >>

Leslieann:
Inspired by the open Source Sucks thread...
This is something I've been meaning to ask for a while.

Do you guys like win10 or do you just use it because you were forced to?

I don't think I've ever gotten to work on a Win10 system that was working at normal speed unless I've hacked it to hell to disable updates and such. That's not an exaggeration, however you have to bear in mind, I mostly get to use it when new and still getting updates or it's broken since I only use it on other people's computers (I'm an independent tech). This leads me to wonder though, does it ever run good, or are people just tolerating it?

Edit:
I'm not trying to use this as prelude to a bash, I genuinely want to know why people like and use it. I just want to understand because I really don't get it. Have I missed something?

PadawanGeek:
I've been using Windows since, well, Windows 95 IIRC. I'd progressed from Win95 thru its various iterations to Win10, all my desktop rigs are 64bit Win 10 based, I've never really encountered any issue with Windows, great for what I use it for.....some office work, media entertainment and gaming.

Kavik:
My main desktop at home is running Windows 10. I resisted upgrading from Windows 7 for a year, but I didn't want to lose out on the free upgrade. I only use my home computer for playing video games, storing photographs, and web browsing. Windows 10 does those things just fine. I mainly upgraded because IIRC video card drivers or APIs or something were not going to be supported on anything prior to Win 10. There was also a stuttering issue with i7 processors and Windows 7 on Battlefield 4 that I was tired of dealing with.

I upgraded my Thinkpad to Win 10, but I ended up restoring Windows 7. One thing I hate about Win 10 is that it is not consistent. A clean installation is slightly different from an upgraded Win 7 installation, and even different Win 7 installations upgrade differently from each other (weird little differences in the UI and start menu that annoy me and can't be changed).

My desktop at work runs Windows 10. It works all right. One issue that we've had is that updates can only be delayed for up to one year IIRC, and Win 10 updates very frequently break things in our automated testing. When we hit the one year mark, people started having issues from updates that couldn't be reverted (I may be getting Visual Studio updates confused with Win 10 OS updates, but I think they both caused problems). The guy that tests updates before giving the go-ahead to install them has talked to Microsoft quite a bit, but MS basically doesn't care.

I think it's funny that the Windows 10 setting menus are very basic and almost useless and that I have to access the "old" control panel to do change anything useful.

tp4tissue:
I can't afford the software...

whalematrontron:
Windows 10 has always worked fine for me

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version