Author Topic: [GB] R3 Purple Zealio Switches (100% complete)  (Read 169957 times)

Offline tkpresent

Joined!
I ordered 67g with v3 Lube (Thick & Thin)!
- HHKB
- Varmilo VA68M
- Octagon V2
- TX 87
- ZZ96
- TX1800

Offline robbles

My daily is a lubed and silenced HHKB, which I love. But I want to build a custom MX board with something slightly heavier. I'm not a heavy typist by any means, but lubed HHKB can feel a bit light at times. Recommendations for my situation? Will 62g feel similar in weight to a stock HHKB even though it has a higher resistance in grams? Thanks! Looking to build a Sentraq S60-X with HHKB layout.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
My daily is a lubed and silenced HHKB, which I love. But I want to build a custom MX board with something slightly heavier. I'm not a heavy typist by any means, but lubed HHKB can feel a bit light at times. Recommendations for my situation? Will 62g feel similar in weight to a stock HHKB even though it has a higher resistance in grams? Thanks! Looking to build a Sentraq S60-X with HHKB layout.

65g or 67g would be my recommendation. 65g for the long tactile bump, 67g for the cup rubber-ish bump feel.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline robbles

Thanks! A co-worker let me use his board with Cherry Clears all day today and I decided to go with the 65g. Though the Topre feel of the 67g is tempting, I can't imagine using a switch any heavier than the Clear. It's going to be a rough month waiting for my Sentraq to ship from Massdrop.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline krisst

Thanks! A co-worker let me use his board with Cherry Clears all day today and I decided to go with the 65g. Though the Topre feel of the 67g is tempting, I can't imagine using a switch any heavier than the Clear. It's going to be a rough month waiting for my Sentraq to ship from Massdrop.

You will be surprised that Zealios 67g feels lighter than cherry clears. Smoother travel does help.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Zealios are rated for bottom out. MX Clears bottom out at 100g. 65g/67g is no where close to the weight of MX Clears :P

Offline obj-c

Are zealio switches wobbly with OEM profile keycaps?

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
When is the GB ending I thought it was the 31st? Also is gateron behind at all?!

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offline graefeln

When is the GB ending I thought it was the 31st? Also is gateron behind at all?!

From ZealPC.net:

Pre-order will be open until June 20 11:59:59pm PDT. Pre-order date subject to close earlier without notice. Estimated ship date from the factory is late June. Orders are fulfilled based on a first-to-order basis.

Still about two weeks or so... probably because he is away until then.

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
Oh ok can't wait!!

Offline robotmaxtron

I'm so excited for these. The last of my GH60 components are making their way in and these will be the last thing to arrive.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Hey guys,

Just returned from Gateron factory. Switches are about to be done and if all goes to plan, they should arrive roughly the same time I return back to Canada. :)

Offline Jeu

Is the rumor true that these are pre-lubed? Read that somewhere but lube is sold separately so I find it hard to believe.  As a beginner in this crazy mech world should I opt for lube and do that myself?

Offline krisst

Is the rumor true that these are pre-lubed? Read that somewhere but lube is sold separately so I find it hard to believe.  As a beginner in this crazy mech world should I opt for lube and do that myself?

Switchs are lubed very very lightly on certain points. Getting lube and do some hands on just makes them more custom to your likings. So it depends on you. Stock Zealios are perfectly usable.

Offline Jeu

Switchs are lubed very very lightly on certain points. Getting lube and do some hands on just makes them more custom to your likings. So it depends on you. Stock Zealios are perfectly usable.
Thanks for the info! I'll wait and see how they are per the image of Sir Zeal :cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gaunt

Is it possible to 'switch' (no pun intended) between the different Zealio versions simply by replacing the springs? I ordered the 62g version, but I'm afraid they may turn out lighter than I'd like. If so, would normal Cherry springs be enough, or are Zealio springs different?

Offline ctrlX

I've installed both factory and self lubed Zealios. My opinion is that extra lube makes them even better. So good that I will actually desolder my factory lubed switches and replace with extra lubed.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Is it possible to 'switch' (no pun intended) between the different Zealio versions simply by replacing the springs? I ordered the 62g version, but I'm afraid they may turn out lighter than I'd like. If so, would normal Cherry springs be enough, or are Zealio springs different?

Aftermarket springs will work in Zealios no problem.

Not really a rumor. The legs are factory lubed a bit, but nothing beats putting in the actual work to lube the stem and housing properly. :)

Offline gaunt

Thanks, but what I actually meant was: if I replace the spring in my 62g Zealio with  a generic 78g Cherry spring, will my 62g Zealio become (virtually) identical to a 78g Zealio (save for slightly lighter colour of course)? In other words, are the springs in tactile Zealio switches all (except colour) that distinguishes between the different versions (62g vs 65g vs 67g vs 78g etc)?

Offline tofgerl

I think I'm going to use these with some QMX clips I have lying around.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Thanks, but what I actually meant was: if I replace the spring in my 62g Zealio with  a generic 78g Cherry spring, will my 62g Zealio become (virtually) identical to a 78g Zealio (save for slightly lighter colour of course)? In other words, are the springs in tactile Zealio switches all (except colour) that distinguishes between the different versions (62g vs 65g vs 67g vs 78g etc)?

There isn't a stock 78g Cherry spring, but if you do source an aftermarket one, the feel will all depend on how the spring is coiled, as different coil designs result in different feels.

I think I'm going to use these with some QMX clips I have lying around.
QMX Clips are a bit too tight for Gateron switches. And they're only for PCB mount builds...I may or may not be working on a better solution ;)

Offline gaunt

There isn't a stock 78g Cherry spring, but if you do source an aftermarket one, the feel will all depend on how the spring is coiled, as different coil designs result in different feels.

Alright, thanks!

Offline priyadi

Any chance for clear stemmed zealios in the future? Clear stems should be able to improve light distribution even more. Clear housing is an improvement, clear stem is the logical next step forward  ;D
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline Krustyboomer

Picked me up some 67 & 78 switches for an unnamed as-yet to be determined TKL build!

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Any chance for clear stemmed zealios in the future? Clear stems should be able to improve light distribution even more. Clear housing is an improvement, clear stem is the logical next step forward  ;D

Not possible with POM. Any other material isn't as smooth.

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
Zeal how is the order coming from gateron?!

Offline Data

Ordered +100 for my VE.A.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Manufacturing complete, switches will ship out around the end of the week.

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
That is awesome will we get tracking or anything?!

Offline kawasaki161

That is awesome will we get tracking or anything?!

I think he is talking about the switches being shipped out to him. 
But for your order you will get tracking when you went with DHL shipping, you won't get tracking with Canada Post though.

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
Ok awesome!

Offline krisst

Ordered +100 for my VE.A.

I hope is 78g ;D
I will be using that!

Offline Tobi45

Are you sure about that? Afaik Vortex translucent doubleshots are made from PBT and POM.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2016, 15:56:12 by Tobi45 »

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Are you sure about that? Afaik Vortex translucent doubleshots are made from PBT and POM.

Translucent =/= clear (transparent).

Offline mind_funeral

• savior of lost fortunes
I want to add lube to my order I placed a few weeks ago.  Is that possible, Zeal?
Poker II.3 with Gateron Browns and SIP sockets,  Midnight/Twilight DCS
KBP V60 with Gateron Clears, EnjoyPBT Cyrillics
Topre Type Heaven

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
I want to add lube to my order I placed a few weeks ago.  Is that possible, Zeal?

PM'd.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex

Zealios are rated for bottom out. MX Clears bottom out at 100g. 65g/67g is no where close to the weight of MX Clears :P

yeah, i was very surprised by just how much lighter the 65g are versus clears.  i wanted something closer to the midrange between browns and clears.  ordering a set of 78g switches this go round and i'll probably resell my 65g R2 switches.

Offline priyadi

Translucent =/= clear (transparent).

Well, if transparent is not possible, then translucent stem in neutral color (white) is certainly the next best thing. Make it happen Zeal :)
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.

Offline mind_funeral

• savior of lost fortunes
I'd rather purple than white.
Poker II.3 with Gateron Browns and SIP sockets,  Midnight/Twilight DCS
KBP V60 with Gateron Clears, EnjoyPBT Cyrillics
Topre Type Heaven

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
Second

Offline priyadi

I'd rather purple than white.

Opaque stem concentrate light to one side of the switch. non neutral color adds tint to the light. Technically white translucent is the best stem color for lighting.

I'd say the tradition of using stem color to identify one switch type from another was made long ago when switch lighting was meant only for caps locks, scroll locks and num locks, and color distribution and neutrality were not important.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
The purple stem is a signature colour for Zealios. I don't plan on changing it anytime soon. I understand that translucent white is best for untinted lighting distribution, but in all reality, the MX design isn't the best when it comes to lighting uniformity anyways.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
Excuse me,
These switches are rated base off of "bottom out" force, so the 62g is actually light-er than Cherry Black (which has 60g actuation focrce), right?
I do like how heavy Cherry Black is, so which variant should I get? (a bit heavier than Cherry Black is fine)

I think I will wait for the next round, or I will buy the... erm... leftover ones.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 June 2016, 01:36:30 by Tom_Kazansky »

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Excuse me,
These switches are rated base off of "bottom out" force, so the 62g is actually light-er than Cherry Black (which has 60g actuation focrce), right?
I do like how heavy Cherry Black is, so which variant should I get? (a bit heavier than Cherry Black is fine)

I think I will wait for the next round, or I will buy the... erm... leftover ones.

That's correct. Cherry MX Black bottoms out at ~80g, so all of the current Zealio offerings are lighter than MX Blacks. Can't really comment on which ones to recommend for you as switch preference is a subjective thing, and tactile switches are nothing like linears.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
Excuse me,

That's correct. Cherry MX Black bottoms out at ~80g, so all of the current Zealio offerings are lighter than MX Blacks. Can't really comment on which ones to recommend for you as switch preference is a subjective thing, and tactile switches are nothing like linears.

The only tactile switch I have used is Brown switch, and I hardly feel any feedbacks at all so I don't like it. 

Just recently, I noticed that the "bump" of the Zealio / Cherry Clear switch is bigger than Brown and so the tactile feel is different as well, so I want to try out these. :D (I may go with 78g variant  ;D)

Offline priyadi

The purple stem is a signature colour for Zealios. I don't plan on changing it anytime soon. I understand that translucent white is best for untinted lighting distribution, but in all reality, the MX design isn't the best when it comes to lighting uniformity anyways.

Those linear zealios have clear stems right? Do you still have some of them laying around? I want to see how clear stems affect light distribution. If you still have them I'd like to order some for myself.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Those linear zealios have clear stems right? Do you still have some of them laying around? I want to see how clear stems affect light distribution. If you still have them I'd like to order some for myself.

Yeah, they have the milky / semi-translucent white "clear" stem. I have installed 1.8mm white LEDs into them and they don't really help glow. All linear Zealios are sold out however.

Offline Pieminister

Sorry I am an idiot and were sitting on this for too long.
On the group buy page it says pre orders ended 2 days ago (https://zealpc.net/collections/group-buy-pre-orders/products/zealio)
I am hoping to get 100x 65g plate mounted switches for my upcoming ZZ96 and was wondering if I can still order. :cool:

Offline Deeree1867

Nothing speak volumes about typing experience like a pic full of purple stems

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
Sorry I am an idiot and were sitting on this for too long.
On the group buy page it says pre orders ended 2 days ago (https://zealpc.net/collections/group-buy-pre-orders/products/zealio)
I am hoping to get 100x 65g plate mounted switches for my upcoming ZZ96 and was wondering if I can still order. :cool:

I tend to keep the order open til switches arrive. Switches are currently in transit, and should arrive in 2-3days.