Author Topic: In remembrance: Smallfry aka Nathan W.  (Read 326321 times)

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
Re: In remembrance: Smallfry aka Nathan W.
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:17:56 »
Rest in peace.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:18:41 »
I am speechless...

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:23:42 »
Smallfry brought so much energy to this forum, I just can't believe he's gone...

:'( :'( :'(
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:41:40 »
Just found out about this...

We have lost fellow geekhackers before...but none that have been so involved in our community.  SmallFry was a great asset and it truly saddens me to hear of his passing. 

I am 100% behind whatever we can do to remember him and honor him here at GH.

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 14:11:34 »
I cannot recall having been in contact with him personally, but neither do I need to, to know how good of a person he was, and how much he contributed to the community.

May his soul be in a better place, R.I.P.
I like cats.

Offline dante

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 14:24:00 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 20:30:08 by dante »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 14:31:50 »
Wow. This is nuts... I didn't know him personally, but I knew his passion for this community and the life and energy he brought to everything he did around here.

This is hitting me pretty hard right now..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 14:32:40 »
Aw, man, how terrible.

Today I mowed my own yard and went swimming with my own teenage son, then I come in to see this.

As I get older, I am constantly reminded of my own mortality, and am working to be "good" with what remains of my life.

But when someone is cut short at the very beginning of a promising journey, well, that is about as bad as it gets.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 14:49:05 »
Unbelievable :(

RIP Bud
Looking for CC's!

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 15:00:45 »
This is such a shock, I will miss him :(

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 15:04:15 »
Wow. R.I.P. Used to enjoy chatting to him in IRC when I still connected to GH and seeing him on the forums. Thought I had best log in to pay my respects. Such a shame.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 15:10:47 »
Smallfry and I always jabbed at eachother, but he was a good kid. Definitely one of the valuable members of this community.

RIP...

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 15:18:35 »
I am sadden by the news. RIP SmallFry. You will be remembered.
Keyboardless

Offline Parak

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 15:19:34 »
Even though I've not met him in person, I've talked with SmallFry quite a bit on IRC, and he was always a great and fun individual to interact with. Truly tragic and senseless. He'll be missed, but I will never forget him.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 15:39:30 »
I don't think I ever had the pleasure of talking to him on here. But I respected his presence on this forum nonetheless.
R.I.P. Smallfry
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 15:53:16 »
I always smiled reading his posts, since his name reminded me of how my Papa used to call us kids that.
My thoughts and best wishes are with his family.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 16:04:41 »
kawa, if you're referring to his current avatar, that was indeed drawn by moonprismpwr. Just FYI

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 16:19:28 »
I don't even know what to say, Smallfry was by far one of the most active users on the community and one which posted most of the time funny stuff and got picked on many times due to it. He was one of the most remarkable users in here and will surely be missed...  :(
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 16:40:51 »
Very sad and shocking to hear this news today. I didn't know him as well as some others here did, but I did chat with him every now and then. He was always so energetic and active on the forums and trying to be helpful to others. I regret that I'll never get the chance to know him better.

RIP Smallfry

Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline ImperfectLink

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 16:47:35 »
Wow that is so sad. I'm new here but every post I've read from has been brimming with personality. Such a loss to the community and condolences to all.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 17:05:04 »
I'm in shock.

Smallfry and I had a private IRC chat going and chatted nearly every day or two for the past 6 months.  He was in the process of helping me find a moped like his.  I was wondering where he was as of late... I assumed vacation.  This is devastating.  Especially for someone so young and with so much ambition and promise.

He was such a nice and helpful person around here.  It'll feel a lot different without Smallfry posts in threads...

Smallfry, you'll be missed my friend.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 15:34:11 by aggiejy »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 18:02:33 »
I've been driving all day and just saw this.

SmallFry and I had quite a few PM's about phantom stuff and he was very helpful and knowledgeable.

I looked forward to learning more from him.

I believe in prayer and will keep his family and others who were close to him in remembrance.

SmallFry left us too early but may his passion for keyboards never be forgotten, he is missed.

Life's too short not to participate, may we all post to further keyboard science.

Offline limmy

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 18:05:00 »
I am sad to hear the tragic news. Rest in peace.. Nathan

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 18:21:48 »
Umm wow just wow. The number of things that he and I have helped each other with since we first talked is exasperating. I remember the day he exceeded my post count around 5000 or so posts and hes now well above 6000. I think his account should be immortalized and he should have a special star!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 18:23:45 »
SmallFry and I chatted frequently on IRC. He would often say that I was in his head because we would frequently post the same thing within seconds of each other. We used to joke that I was actually him, come back from the future.

I regret that he was taken from us so young. He was always so enthusiastic about our hobby, that it was easy to get excited about the projects he was interested in.

I will miss SmallFry terribly. Rest in peace, brother. You will forever be remembered.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 18:50:37 »
He was a great guy, helped me in my early days. Helped out so many newbs and he genuinely made me laugh numerous times. I can't think of anything else to say and I'm sad that I shall never see him again. I hope he has found the perfect keyboard where he is now.

Rest In Piece Friend.

unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 18:56:05 »
My gods. Not again.

I liked SmallFry. I didn't know him as well as most of you probably did, but he was good folks. He will be sorely missed. :(
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:16:26 »
This news hit me hard today, and I'm not really good at this so I will just share some memories...

I first met SmallFry at the first Chicago Meetup in a billiards pool hall.  He came with his dad and several keyboards (including this beast http://i.imgur.com/nUHAHVe.jpg)  He and his dad had worked on a PCB for a controller that was so cool and so close to working.  He was in awe of my unicorn vomit Rosewill that had a row of clacks.  So much charisma, excitement, and generosity.

I saw him a second time when he came to the second Chicagoland meetup in Gurnee.  For the first few hours of the meetup I distinctively remember everyone asking where is SmallFry?  We all wanted to see him.  He came a bit late with his Prom date, monster Model F in hand.  He made the rounds and had a great time.

It pains me to take him off the list for KeyCon because I know he would have made it more fun for everyone.

Nathan, you will be missed - you made an impression on all of us whether we met you or not.  Rest in Peace

Offline chaosstep

• From Hell
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:23:06 »
I don't know him personally but he was very energetic and cheerful on his posts.
It's very sad news to hear. RIP nathan, we will miss and remember him in our hearts.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:24:43 »
Keep him on the list i3oiler....He'll be there..
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline pasph

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:29:52 »
I'm sure he's in a better place now and he will live in our memories and hearts.
Goodbye!
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:30:24 »
Our buddy...

« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:36:06 by Input Nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:35:10 »
Awesome.
This is the way I've always seen Nathan.

Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:37:21 »
What a great life,
he made mine better.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:38:32 »

if he'd ever shared a picture of himself before, i'd never seen it, but when i saw that picture on the caringbridge site, i knew immediately who it was.

smallfry was a moderator before and during the exodus with me. he and i took a lot of crap from the old guard when we first started with this experiment that is the new huge geekhack community, and at some point in the future i knew i was going to want him on staff again. i work with lots of very smart, even brilliant people, on geekhack, in research, my chosen professional, everywhere. nathan was in that stage of brilliance where it's bubbling up from childhood and blossoming into something creative, uncontrollable, but most of all, unique and new.

once upon a time, i thought i wanted to teach at a college level so that i could cultivate minds like his. when i discovered that minds like his were much more common in this community, and almost non-existent at the college level, i rejected teaching and threw myself into building this community. knowing what he would have contributed to the world crushes me.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:39:13 »
A classic in the making.

« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:41:09 by Input Nirvana »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:40:14 »
GH is a little smaller today :(

Mods - please give him a special star.

RIP SmallFry.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:43:44 »
Nathan

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:47:33 »
Other people in Nathans life that help make him the man we care so much for.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:50:48 »
:( smallfry was such a cool dude. just the right amount of sarcastic and funny. never saw him be mean (without reason) and was always helpful to everybody.

may you be with whomever you see as a higher power.

you'll be missed mallfries, even though you hated when i called you that :(.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 20:02:00 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:51:48 »
26885-0
26887-1
26889-2

Here are some photos he took to show a RainDrop sticker on his moped, a week before the accident.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:56:30 by aggiejy »

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:53:26 »
I cannot believe this happened. 

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:59:30 »
Smallfry was the most positive and encouraging person to talk to. I remember being blown away by his shear perseverance and passion for the hobby. I always had funny conversations with him on IRC and he will be dearly missed. I hope his family knows how special we all thought he was.
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 20:09:16 »
This is hard to swallow.. couldve seen posts from him less than two weeks ago. I never talked with him or anything but definitly a recognizable name on the forums. RIP

Offline therecorder

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 20:11:20 »
The only thing that I can say is, "How sad..."

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 20:20:14 »
This is so unbelievably terrible. Rest in Peace Smallfry, You will be so greatly missed.  :'(
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 20:22:06 »

ICONIC

Edit: converted image so it would work
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 20:41:53 by aggiejy »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 20:40:37 »
This is such a shock.  RIP, man.

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 20:45:58 »
I am so shocked!!

I never traded with him, but once I pmed him by mistake, then we had a nice short conversation. He was such a nice person. 

RIP SmallFry!
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 20:48:54 »
RIP buddy. SmallFry was a good kid who helped a lot of people. is there anything we can do as a community for his family?
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 June 2013, 16:10:28 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace