Author Topic: Replacing Female USB Micro Connector  (Read 2078 times)

Offline 108

• Yeet. Yeet.
Replacing Female USB Micro Connector
« on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 02:48:26 »
My female micro connector has recently completely broken and fallen out of place on my poker clone(RK 61) Is there any guides to opening the case/ resoldering components for the poker and its clones?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Replacing Female USB Micro Connector
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 04:01:05 »
Poker cases are held on with screws through the top between Tab and Q, Space and right Alt, G and H, and ] and |\ or enter - carefully pop off those keycaps, undo the screws and the pcb should come out.  Hopefully the socket came off without pulling up traces on the PCB and you can solder it back on, but we'd need pics to confirm.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline 108

• Yeet. Yeet.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 11:08:51 »
Poker cases are held on with screws through the top between Tab and Q, Space and right Alt, G and H, and ] and |\ or enter - carefully pop off those keycaps, undo the screws and the pcb should come out.  Hopefully the socket came off without pulling up traces on the PCB and you can solder it back on, but we'd need pics to confirm.
I can upload more pictures if this does not provide enough information.

Offline 108

• Yeet. Yeet.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 13:31:26 »
I can upload more pictures if this does not provide enough information.
There are two tracers that are ripped, how can I can go about fixing it?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 15:05:47 »
The middle trace helpfully goes not far and straight to R14 (you can see the line) so you can bend up that pin on the connector and solder a little wire from it to the top of the resistor. 

The other damaged one goes straight to a hole and I don't think you're going to find a pic of the other side of the PCB anywhere to know where it goes on the other side of the board, so that could be more fun.

It looks like there is a bit of the pad left so if you're careful and it's not flapping about you could solder to that, it's by far the easiest option.  If it's loose you would do better checking for continuity between the pad and the ends of the components that are furthest from the square chip in the middle of that mess, or if you can read the chip you could look up it's datasheet to see which pin it's expecting D- on as that's what the pin connects to.  I'm looking for same-sized holes and there's one right next to the chip, but is there a hole above R5?  I can't see what else that resistor could be connected to, but it doesn't look much like a hole...

You can try for a clearer pic but it's far from easy so it might be easier if you write out what's written on the chip.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline 108

• Yeet. Yeet.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 17:21:14 »
The middle trace helpfully goes not far and straight to R14 (you can see the line) so you can bend up that pin on the connector and solder a little wire from it to the top of the resistor. 

The other damaged one goes straight to a hole and I don't think you're going to find a pic of the other side of the PCB anywhere to know where it goes on the other side of the board, so that could be more fun.

It looks like there is a bit of the pad left so if you're careful and it's not flapping about you could solder to that, it's by far the easiest option.  If it's loose you would do better checking for continuity between the pad and the ends of the components that are furthest from the square chip in the middle of that mess, or if you can read the chip you could look up it's datasheet to see which pin it's expecting D- on as that's what the pin connects to.  I'm looking for same-sized holes and there's one right next to the chip, but is there a hole above R5?  I can't see what else that resistor could be connected to, but it doesn't look much like a hole...

You can try for a clearer pic but it's far from easy so it might be easier if you write out what's written on the chip.
I'll upload some more pictures later, but someone suggested I try soldering a wire from a resistor the pad that is completely torn off and re-solder the other one. Someone has also suggested I buy a mini breakout board, which I'm looking into, but there seems to be no where to solder it on to. Would I just connect the breakout board's wires to the pads? This is the board the person is referring to : https://www.adafruit.com/products/1764?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2_23BRDb_qbvzK3X8M8BEiQAg87AF22ZMZHwxk4bPSPAbzsap_eekSU-BEOjuCLehPdQ3jcaAi3_8P8HAQ
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 April 2016, 17:27:23 by 108 »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 18:07:44 »
The problem with the breakout could be height - you'd have to put it upside-down to make it fit through the hole in the case, but then it's an extra PCB thick so you'd have to check how much room you have.  Would be easier to solder to that than the pins on the connector but it would still need to connect to the same place (either the original pads or where they connect to)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 20:47:20 »
Most micro USB keyboards come with breakout boards already.  The one you posted requires soldering, but some on other keyboards (like the later ducky shine/one series) have keyed connectors on both ends (the shine 3, unlike the newer shines, is only keyed on one end, warning, even though it's mini USB on the shine series, micro on the One series) so that makes replacing easy, especially if you can get a dead keyboard from someone else and cannibalize the breakout board.