Author Topic: Nightcaps: | | |  (Read 45351765 times)

Offline shuangmu

Re: Nightcaps: Poisoned Summer 2017, Thanks everyone!
« Reply #16550 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 08:24:47 »
Amazing production speed..    :thumb:
                                                                           Love Artisan<3
                                                                                                                                       Love geekhack                     

Offline I_am_not_me_

« Reply #16551 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 13:07:48 »
The madman met this deadline! Thanks ETF :thumb:

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #16552 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 13:23:40 »
Poisoned Summer Tees are rolling in! Just got mine :)
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline SeedyOne

« Reply #16553 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 17:55:28 »
Poisoned Summer Tees are rolling in! Just got mine :)

Same here. If I had my phone with me I'd snap a pic but it looks great. The sticker and Swedish Fish candy was a bonus  :thumb:

Offline giangpn

« Reply #16554 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 19:19:04 »
there's a new post on their instagram about some one-off eggface, check it out buddies
I see dead people.

Offline SakeJams

• HAPPINESS ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED
« Reply #16555 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 19:24:23 »
there's a new post on their instagram about some one-off eggface, check it out buddies
I need it

Offline JJ

« Reply #16556 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 19:30:29 »
I need it
It's on eBay just like astral tear shishi and orochi

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline SakeJams

« Reply #16557 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 19:35:09 »
I need it

Just saw it. Already almost $600. Rip

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #16558 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 20:06:24 »
Good for E_T_F.  He deserves to rake in some of the aftermarket pricing from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #16559 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 20:47:44 »
I need it

link?

Just saw it. Already almost $600. Rip

Offline SakeJams

« Reply #16560 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 20:51:12 »

Offline I_am_not_me_

« Reply #16561 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 21:58:14 »
Thank bloody God its not Laser colorway like I thought lol

Offline giangpn

« Reply #16562 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 22:31:52 »
Thank bloody God its not Laser colorway like I thought lol

or I'd cry with you
I see dead people.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #16563 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 22:32:35 »
People are crazy 600+ for a keycap! I mean just  :eek:

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #16564 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 05:06:08 »

Yea, but they're definitely collector's items. I don't see them losing value at all unless the community disintegrates. And that I don't see happening any time soon. Unless there is an apocalypse.

Offline need

« Reply #16565 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 09:42:31 »

Yea, but they're definitely collector's items. I don't see them losing value at all unless the community disintegrates. And that I don't see happening any time soon. Unless there is an apocalypse.

Not sure if you've noticed, but the artisan scene has definitely started to fade... things are getting repetitive, and 75% are basically crap with a price tag that feels premium.

Offline txclack

« Reply #16566 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 09:46:50 »
For anyone who got their Poisoned Summer T-shirt, were the colors really faded?

Offline jackcauliflower

« Reply #16567 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 09:47:32 »
For anyone who got their Poisoned Summer T-shirt, were the colors really faded?
Yeah mine has a little fading

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #16568 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 11:42:50 »

Not sure if you've noticed, but the artisan scene has definitely started to fade... things are getting repetitive, and 75% are basically crap with a price tag that feels premium.

Vote with your dollar.

There's definitely a saturation trend right now, lots of new artisans popping up, but I can't say their quality is on par with what ETF, HWS, etc have been doing for some time. Ultimately I think the problem is people buying artisans with the expectation of flipping them at some point, so the quality of the cap becomes less of a concern if you expect it to retain it's value just for being "artisan".
Don't get me wrong, I fully support these new artisans in what they're doing and wish them the best, but I need to see some better quality work before I'll shell out for some of them. But if other people want to buy some "lesser quality" caps, that's fine by me. I figure it will balance out in the after market.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #16569 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 12:39:02 »

Vote with your dollar.

There's definitely a saturation trend right now, lots of new artisans popping up, but I can't say their quality is on par with what ETF, HWS, etc have been doing for some time. Ultimately I think the problem is people buying artisans with the expectation of flipping them at some point, so the quality of the cap becomes less of a concern if you expect it to retain it's value just for being "artisan".
Don't get me wrong, I fully support these new artisans in what they're doing and wish them the best, but I need to see some better quality work before I'll shell out for some of them. But if other people want to buy some "lesser quality" caps, that's fine by me. I figure it will balance out in the after market.

I agree that there is a HUGE gap between HWS, ETF, KF etc.. and maaaany others in terms of articulation, signature sculpt, finish, etc. I think it's a mix of a lot of things though that make up the dying artisan scene ( I don't think it's dying, there are people buying the hell out of any and almost all artisans.). I think there are people who want to cash in yes, however I think there are also people who enjoy making caps and just need time to work on their art. If people wanna get in where they fit in, so be it. Buy the v1's.

As far as these one-off prices go, as much as I think it sucks; it's definitely fair. Obviously, they can charge whatever for them, but I'd rather the money go to the maker instead of a flipper.

I have to at least feign some indifference, because these are not originals, but copies of the same sculpt over and over just different colors. Which.. I don't know another art form that does that.

And the repetitive comment, yea I agree to an extent. As far as the makers go (Not producing new sculpts), good business is good business. People like fugus. If you're referring to between makers (Having similar sculpts), what's cool is cool. The artisan scene is only so big, with so very few people actually wanting to participate on the creation side of things, so it's bound to stagnate a little bit before someone really lights the place up with a new standard. There has to be someone there to do it though.

Like the person above said, vote with your wallet.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #16570 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 13:20:12 »

An unfortunate side-effect of the growth of the community is that there are more people willing to pay high prices for lower quality items.

It looks like every new maker is selling out every time they post a sale for a crappy sculpt with some bubbles in their resin at $50/each, so while a small group of people may choose not to participate, it isn't affecting the market at all. Since there's always financial support from people excited to grow their cap collection, new makers will continue to include the startup cost and R&D in their pricing and that devalues established artisans that are clearly on a different level.

I vote with my wallet when I buy from a community member but every time I opt-out, there's someone else to take my place, meaning my individual vote doesn't really mean anything in the greater scheme of things.

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #16571 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 13:41:32 »

An unfortunate side-effect of the growth of the community is that there are more people willing to pay high prices for lower quality items.

It looks like every new maker is selling out every time they post a sale for a crappy sculpt with some bubbles in their resin at $50/each, so while a small group of people may choose not to participate, it isn't affecting the market at all. Since there's always financial support from people excited to grow their cap collection, new makers will continue to include the startup cost and R&D in their pricing and that devalues established artisans that are clearly on a different level.

I vote with my wallet when I buy from a community member but every time I opt-out, there's someone else to take my place, meaning my individual vote doesn't really mean anything in the greater scheme of things.

Agreed. It is hard to feel like you have a voice when someone else can easily take your place. But I guess imo, if the people buying these "lesser quality" caps love what they get, then I wouldn't call it a waste or a regrettable purchase. Tastes are subjective, I'm not a huge fan of the GAF Grimace sculpt, but other people seem to love them. I think so long as people are really into the artisans they're buying and aren't buying with the expectation of making money off it, then there will be far less "regrettable" purchases in the community.

After all, there is always people out there that will buy any piece of garbage based off hype or expected returns, regardless of the industry/community. But that doesn't mean we have to be one of them.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #16572 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 13:53:25 »

Agreed. It is hard to feel like you have a voice when someone else can easily take your place. But I guess imo, if the people buying these "lesser quality" caps love what they get, then I wouldn't call it a waste or a regrettable purchase. Tastes are subjective, I'm not a huge fan of the GAF Grimace sculpt, but other people seem to love them. I think so long as people are really into the artisans they're buying and aren't buying with the expectation of making money off it, then there will be far less "regrettable" purchases in the community.

After all, there is always people out there that will buy any piece of garbage based off hype or expected returns, regardless of the industry/community. But that doesn't mean we have to be one of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_missing_out

All it boils down to.

Offline the-slunk

« Reply #16573 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 14:03:06 »

All it boils down to.
FOMO fosho

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #16574 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 14:05:34 »

All it boils down to.
FOMO fosho

Behavioral economics in full swing with the artisan community

Offline u

« Reply #16575 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 15:21:19 »
lol

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #16576 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 15:22:39 »
I can honestly say the artisan caps I buy into are cause I like them.. if i don't like them won't waste my time with the raffles. I am sure thought the vast majority buy to flip. That is obvious with mechmarket being filled with PS caps for sale. It seems like more people got them to flip them then to try and enjoy them. Assuming a limit of 20 of each cap are less... then yea.. say most likely 1 in ever 5 caps was bought to flip.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #16577 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 15:27:33 »
I can honestly say the artisan caps I buy into are cause I like them.. if i don't like them won't waste my time with the raffles. I am sure thought the vast majority buy to flip. That is obvious with mechmarket being filled with PS caps for sale. It seems like more people got them to flip them then to try and enjoy them. Assuming a limit of 20 of each cap are less... then yea.. say most likely 1 in ever 5 caps was bought to flip.

Most people on r/mm are trading, not selling/flipping. You're also going to see the same people posting over and over which may make it seem like there are more people actively listing PS caps than there actually are. I traded a bunch of PS fugus for other PS Fugus because you just can't know on day 1 if a later day will be even better, so you enter every day. I ended up with a few colorways that didn't match anything I own, so I traded them for caps that did.

I agree that some people enter artisan raffles just to flip 'em, but most people enter to own or for trading (usually in the same raffle pool if they don't get their first choice colors).

Offline the-slunk

« Reply #16578 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 15:38:37 »
What authenticdanger said. I have traded mine but only towards PS caps I liked better.

The point is these are 1-off caps and are more than likely going to collectors that cherish the rarity rather than the cap itself. We didn't make them so why are we so fussy about it. If you aren't willing to pay over a grand for these types of caps then they are more than likely not for you. It's a tough pill to swallow but why can't we be adults about it and just accept the fact that we can't have all the artisans we want. Let the man do with his art as he wishes. It's not like he's neglected any of us. Matter of fact he has been more than giving with over 90 days of raffles.

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #16579 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 15:48:15 »
What authenticdanger said. I have traded mine but only towards PS caps I liked better.

The point is these are 1-off caps and are more than likely going to collectors that cherish the rarity rather than the cap itself. We didn't make them so why are we so fussy about it. If you aren't willing to pay over a grand for these types of caps then they are more than likely not for you. It's a tough pill to swallow but why can't we be adults about it and just accept the fact that we can't have all the artisans we want. Let the man do with his art as he wishes. It's not like he's neglected any of us. Matter of fact he has been more than giving with over 90 days of raffles.

ETF is most definitely one of the top tier artisans at the moment. I absolutely enjoyed the PS sale, even if I only managed to snag one fugu, just happy to have been a part of it. I think most of us are here to try and get caps that we love, but yes, with raffles there's just a chance it won't match our collections sometimes..

Also, I'm hoping this isn't coming across as "fuss" too much. I absolutely appreciate ETF for these awesome sculpts. Brought something that might not have existed otherwise. I think its just still surprising to some of us how far collectors are willing to go for some of these one-offs  :eek:

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #16580 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 16:06:28 »
Hopefully didn't come off jerky either. I fully support someone spending 1,100 dollars on a keycap if they have the money and want it. I personally don't understand it and wouldn't do it my self.

I don't like flippers at all those types tick me off. I am more if I really like the keycap I will enter the raffle. I will have 2 fugu's I won one as part of the summer event ((Copper Culture)) and one of the group buys. I liked both color way's thats the main reason bought in. I own a handful of other artisan's cause I like the caps.

Offline the-slunk

« Reply #16581 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 16:11:34 »
Hopefully didn't come off jerky either. I fully support someone spending 1,100 dollars on a keycap if they have the money and want it. I personally don't understand it and wouldn't do it my self.

I don't like flippers at all those types tick me off. I am more if I really like the keycap I will enter the raffle. I will have 2 fugu's I won one as part of the summer event ((Copper Culture)) and one of the group buys. I liked both color way's thats the main reason bought in. I own a handful of other artisan's cause I like the caps.
Haha, I didn't mean to come off like I was scolding anyone. I've complained a ton myself. I just tried to put myself in ETFs shoes. My inner ETF voice went "90 days of raffles and they are complaining about one cap?!? Nnnrrggggghh!!!"

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #16582 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 18:42:56 »

Offline the-slunk

« Reply #16583 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 18:47:20 »

Offline u

Offline JMD

• All we want is happiness.
    • Mech Keys
« Reply #16585 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:23:34 »

(Collective effort. This is a collection of 3 people here in town :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/pYlYo
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #16586 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:25:02 »
https://i.imgur.com/fta6UuC.jpg
I have never wanted something so bad in my entire life O_O

« Reply #16587 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:26:17 »

Offline Corgi Butts

« Reply #16588 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:27:06 »

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #16589 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:27:56 »
That Murray Face is amazing~
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:29:29 by JMD »
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline SeedyOne

« Reply #16590 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:30:44 »

Offline SakeJams

« Reply #16591 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:38:39 »
Anybody see what the Mary Poppins eggy sold for

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #16592 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 20:39:26 »
Anybody see what the Mary Poppins eggy sold for
almost 1200 if i recall.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #16593 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 21:47:54 »

Oh totally, I agree with you. I think that comes with entry into the scene though. I remember when I first got started earlier this year and I had seen an artisan for the time, I was amazed and intrigued( I like to collect stuff by nature.). There could be no wrong because I didn't know any better, so I entered many raffles and got to see the differences between many makers. A lot of new artisan makers are popping up this year, and a lot of new mech users as well. Both are cutting their teeth in that area right now. Some are finding their sculpts are not up to par (Seeing them resold almost immediately) and participants are seeing the difference in quality slowly.

It is however rather difficult to see the contrast between qualities when all the good raffles are less than easy to get into, especially when the trend is micro batches. Then to further that, the method of sales have been generally flash sales which adds another degree of difficulty for the average person. Hell, I don't even know how to get into a GAF raffle.

Getting those quality sculpts isn't particularly hard if you don't mind aftermarket prices, however to a person fresh on the scene it can be a little steep. Even then, a majority of the time I would venture to say you'd be purchasing older versions, whose quality might not be up to the maker's contemporary standards.

I don't want to spread salt, because I don't have a problem with any of this actually. It's just kind of a given in economics and anything worth collecting.

However, I do think it's really annoying that brand new makers have popped up with retail valuations at what these long time makers have priced their caps at with sub par (Below comparable quality) caps.  Rather than say that it devalues the higher quality artists sculpts, I would argue that it devalues our purchasing power instead and makes an argument for higher quality artists to charge more. You can see evidence for that in these ebay sales. So it's kind of a big **** you to the consumer in my eyes. I mean obviously you want to break even, but do you absolutely need to do it on the first raffle at the cost of the customer.

Yea, it can feel like your vote doesn't matter, I don't care much. I wouldn't go so far as to say be vocal about negative feelings, however definitely be speak up when you have positive things to say; in hopes that people will want to emulate the person you're speaking positively of.

These days I'm mostly entering raffles based on my keyboard colors, all red, black, and gold. So, my wallet has been pretty happy (sort of) since there are so few artisans with those colors.

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
Re: Nightcaps: Poisoned Summer 2017 GB 100% complete
« Reply #16594 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:05:03 »
Last of the GB packages have been picked up by USPS. Everyone's tracking should show the updates status by later this evening. Please don't hesitate to drop me a note if you're not seeing tracking activity.  :thumb:

More

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #16595 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:06:01 »
HUZZAH, What an amazing summer! Thanks ETF!

Offline R.bb

« Reply #16596 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:06:05 »
Last of the GB packages have been picked up by USPS. Everyone's tracking should show the updates status by later this evening. Please don't hesitate to drop me a note if you're not seeing tracking activity.  :thumb:
Got it already sir! ;)

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #16597 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:09:17 »
ETF thanks for doing a GB at the end of the summer event, it was a great way for non US folks to snag a summer fugu, we really appreciate the it over here. I can't imagine how much work you've been through these past months.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:16:44 by GreyAmbience »

Offline SeedyOne

« Reply #16598 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:55:41 »

Thanks Marcus!

FWIW, anyone who hasn't received tracking via email should be able to get it via the Paypal activity log page. Should have a Track Shipment button there soon if not already  :thumb:

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #16599 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 17:03:40 »
I had to check my paypal directly to get my tracking number. Just heads up I am not sure if thats normal are not. The tracking number didn't go to my email at all this time.