Author Topic: Keyboard cowboys (no mouse/cursor power users), lend me your ears 'n fingertips.  (Read 1883 times)

Offline rom138

So, here's an original one;

Sometimes I control strictly by way of keyboard, no mouse. I'm familiar with most Windows hotkeys, but I still run into big problems on the web that are very aggravating.

In the event I click into a youtube page or any other page with a flash applet, I'm basically screwed. Tabbing and shift+tabbing no longer works to move between fields, CTRL+TAB to move between tabs is no dice, CTRL+F no longer works to jump around and cheat -- sometimes even pressing Alt to get the Menu Bar of Firefox will not work.

In the event this happens, is there any way to get in and out of the flash applet without using a mouse? Usually what I do is bring up my process list, end the Firefox process, relaunch the process through the Run box to get all my tabs back since the application thinks it was a crash.

I know of solutions like Mousekeys (they're on my Taskbar for use with Windows Key+# shortcut), but MouseKeys requires a number pad - something my wireless keyboard doesn't have. I've also found a third party solution called MouseGrid which splits the screen into numbered grids, letting you press the appropriate number to click into that portion of the screen, but it's just a big fumbling mess.

Is there a better solution, something that hooks into the browser, something easy to use or a hotkey I can use in browser -- which will actually autocorrect cursor focus in the event an applet steals it and won't give it back?

Offline JBert

I tend to use the Vimperator extension for Firefox. You do need to know about Vi though, otherwhise you'll have a pretty steep learning curve.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline flyball

alt tab to the window
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline rom138

Quote from: JBert;494181
I tend to use the Vimperator extension for Firefox. You do need to know about Vi though, otherwhise you'll have a pretty steep learning curve.

This is a new concept to me but wow, this might just do the job - seems great!

Thanks!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Lorem Ipsum
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 03:56:54 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 03:41:56 by davkol »

Offline canthonytucci

Vimium is the one I use in chrome...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
Quote from: canthonytucci;495159
Vimium is the one I use in chrome...
OMg this is so pimp.
PBC Poker 40% Cherry MX Blues - Stolen in the stupid CS labs
HHKB Pro 2 Topre OBV - Still kickin

Offline canthonytucci

If you're a Firefox user there's one even Better called vimperator (I think). But I am pretty into my chrome.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]