Author Topic: Keyboard pixel art things.  (Read 1438142 times)

Offline GoatMaster

• Formerly Franatic89
Re: Keyboard pixel art things.
« Reply #1650 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 07:59:09 »
Anyone want to do my Fc660c? :)

Here you go!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1651 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:05:43 »
Is it me or is using Paint on Windows 7+ not letting you choose the old square block for brushes? I remember being able to do this on XP Paint, but can't seem to get it properly in 7.

Anyone have a version of XP Paint they're willing to send over?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1652 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 13:58:10 »
Is it me or is using Paint on Windows 7+ not letting you choose the old square block for brushes? I remember being able to do this on XP Paint, but can't seem to get it properly in 7.

Use the pencil, not the paintbrush.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1653 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:13:32 »

Well, s**t.
 ;D

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1654 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:14:52 »

Well, s**t.
 ;D

It'll be ok.  We all have days like that.  *hug*

Offline yaro_b

« Reply #1655 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 15:02:48 »
Very nice work. I'm taking HHKB one.

Offline blastoid

« Reply #1656 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 10:37:19 »
I have a Pok3r with Modern Selectric. Bright white keyboard, dark black keys. I was really struggling to find a way to represent it with pixels. If I emulated the white plate with a 1px white border around all the keys, it was way overpowering. I tried doing a middle gray, but that just looked weird. Obviously, in real life, the portion of the plate that's visible between the keys is WAY less than 1/3 a key width, but at the pixel level, it's not possible to represent that.

So I was considering how an editor would render a photo that was shrunk down to the same resolution of the pixel art, and it would obviously sample a zone to generate a single resulting pixel. So I was thinking about how to accomplish this, and I think I've got a solution, looking for feedback.

A lot of you are using MS Paint for these, and while it's sufficient, I prefer something a little more robust to give better control, specifically layers and selection tools. I'm using The Gimp, but there are plenty of options out there.

So what I'm doing now is to have everything separated by layers. All the keys are in their own layer, which I duplicate, then run a 1px x 1px Gaussian blur on the lower one. This basically causes the key colors to "bleed" over into the plate and subdues the effect. But the top key layer retains the sharpness that we want.

For legends, I do the same thing, but then I hide the original legends layer so the transparency induced by the blur takes effect. I keep the original around for cloning, recoloring, etc.

I'll probably run a tutorial on this at some point when life calms down a bit. :)

Anyway, here are the results. Click through for the album where you can compare to a photo of my collection.

Oh, also, I didn't see where anyone made an Atreus, so I did. Feel free to steal and recolor mine.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #1657 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 21:50:10 »
Wow!  This thread has so many awesome pixel arts!

But it's really hard to comb through all the posts for all the various keyboards--I'm still looking for the c64 post and looking if there's a TI994a in here.

Is there not a gh gallery with just all the images in them?  That would be much easier to comb through.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1658 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 22:59:36 »
Wow!  This thread has so many awesome pixel arts!

But it's really hard to comb through all the posts for all the various keyboards--I'm still looking for the c64 post and looking if there's a TI994a in here.

Is there not a gh gallery with just all the images in them?  That would be much easier to comb through.

Spreadsheet list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pX6xfqrugFxe4V9-M6EorAt-Ry9gyrV2NpIsotWtvJ0/edit?usp=sharing

Not sure how up to date it is.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 October 2015, 23:02:52 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1659 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 23:44:37 »
Spreadsheet list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pX6xfqrugFxe4V9-M6EorAt-Ry9gyrV2NpIsotWtvJ0/edit?usp=sharing

Not sure how up to date it is.
Thank you!  That helped a lot.  It's definitely missing  a few like the white label IBM M, but it's a great help.  Whoever started that SSheet did a great job of capturing the data.  :cool:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1660 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 23:47:22 »
I grabbed from this thread to make my sig today.  I modified other people's work.  I figured I should contribute, so here is a new thing that wasn't on the thread before.

Commodore Vic-20
Show Image

This may work for Commodore 64 as well.  Not sure.
The Commodore 64 was a bit different than the vic-20, but at first glance I thought this was a c64, so close enough!  Thank you!

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1661 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 13:40:26 »
I grabbed from this thread to make my sig today.  I modified other people's work.  I figured I should contribute, so here is a new thing that wasn't on the thread before.

Commodore Vic-20
Show Image

This may work for Commodore 64 as well.  Not sure.
The Commodore 64 was a bit different than the vic-20, but at first glance I thought this was a c64, so close enough!  Thank you!

Woohoo, I can take credit for the spreadsheet AND the vic-20.  Ego boost!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1662 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 16:05:10 »
You earned it!  You still trying to keep the spreadsheet up to date?  I didn't find the white label M made in there that someone made in the thread. :(

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1663 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 22:47:12 »
You earned it!  You still trying to keep the spreadsheet up to date?  I didn't find the white label M made in there that someone made in the thread. :(

It's about a 1.5 pages out of date.  I maintain it when I can, usually at that crux between when it would be worth sitting down and updating without being too daunting yet.

I don't see that white label you refer to in the thread.  Do you have a link to the post?  Maybe I skipped it.

Though a lot of the old attachments were lost due to a problem a few years ago.  If you are referring to one of the links with a lost attachment, I can't bring back the dead.

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #1664 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 09:15:46 »
Wow. This thread really took off. I'm back! I'm gonna go ahead and throw that spreadsheet in the first post. taking request for the next coupla' hours.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1665 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 10:55:41 »
It's about a 1.5 pages out of date.  I maintain it when I can, usually at that crux between when it would be worth sitting down and updating without being too daunting yet.

I don't see that white label you refer to in the thread.  Do you have a link to the post?  Maybe I skipped it.

Though a lot of the old attachments were lost due to a problem a few years ago.  If you are referring to one of the links with a lost attachment, I can't bring back the dead.
Yep, that makes sense.  Onesies and twosies update can be a pain.

I didn't find the white label either. :(  I also just realized its an iso enter, so that's not right for what I have.  Here's the post that originally requested it though:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=19113.msg1784356#msg1784356

I guess we need a white label version of the blue.

That sucks that a lot of the attachments were lost.  If someone wants to download all of them, I'll put them on my photo server into a gallery.  I payr for that server and have over 300k photos on it, so it won't be going down anytime soon.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1666 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 10:57:03 »
Wow. This thread really took off. I'm back! I'm gonna go ahead and throw that spreadsheet in the first post. taking request for the next coupla' hours.
Sweet!  You wanna make the white label regular enter one?  Should be pretty quick.

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #1667 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 13:38:12 »
Sweet!  You wanna make the white label regular enter one?  Should be pretty quick.

Are you talking about the white label Model M? if you post a photo of the board I'll do it.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1668 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 15:01:50 »

Are you talking about the white label Model M? if you post a photo of the board I'll do it.
Yep, but wouldn't it be easier to just mod the blue label art?  The only difference is the logo.  Or mod the one that I have in my sign with the iso enter for the regular one.  Either change should be easy with your experience.  :cool:

Here's a stock picture if you want to do it from scratch though:

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #1669 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 03:17:29 »
Hi. I didn't see any F122s on the spreadsheet or a brief look through the pages, so I made one.

This is the one I use

And this is a clean one

Also works for some M122s I guess.
Saw a Terminal M122 on the spreadsheet, nvm
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2015, 20:45:15 by faycheung »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1670 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 04:53:30 »
Hi. I didn't see any F122s on the spreadsheet or a brief look through the pages, so I made one.

This is the one I use
Show Image

And this is a clean one
Show Image

Also works for some M122s I guess.
Saw a Terminal M122 on the spreadsheet, nvm

Terminal M122 - I just acquired one of those, and did wonder briefly whether there was a pixel art thingy for it.

But I gave up on those a while back - too many keyboards :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #1671 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 05:01:11 »
Yeah, I'm surprised by some of the multipliers for keyboards people use. 15 Model Ms? Holy crap, and I thought my 4 keyboards were excessive.

Glad to see another Melbournian.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1672 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 05:22:08 »
Yeah, I'm surprised by some of the multipliers for keyboards people use. 15 Model Ms? Holy crap, and I thought my 4 keyboards were excessive.

Glad to see another Melbournian.

There's about half a dozen Melbourne (or Victorian, anyway) members that I've encountered, not all still active.

Most seem to be in NSW or WA.

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #1673 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 12:29:23 »

Yep, but wouldn't it be easier to just mod the blue label art?  The only difference is the logo.  Or mod the one that I have in my sign with the iso enter for the regular one.  Either change should be easy with your experience.  :cool:

Here's a stock picture if you want to do it from scratch though:
Show Image

Maybe I'm trippin' but I don't see how that is any different from the board in your sig.

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #1674 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 16:43:28 »
ISO maybe? I took both images and mashed them into a grey label ANSI in my sig.

Incorrect LED cluster size

Fixed:
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2015, 21:13:11 by faycheung »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1675 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 18:30:48 »
Maybe I'm trippin' but I don't see how that is any different from the board in your sig.
ISO maybe? I took both images and mashed them into a grey label ANSI in my sig.

Show Image

It was the iso.  Thank you for the new version! :thumb: 
I got them almost 20 years ago for 50 cents each and actually have enough computers to put them all on, so they're actually all in use.  :thumb:

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #1676 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 21:13:50 »
Noticed the LED cluster size was incorrect. Here is the updated version

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1677 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 23:35:19 »
Noticed the LED cluster size was incorrect. Here is the updated version

Show Image

Thank you!  That's a really cool f122 with the cell phone holder.  I actually use an empty packing tape roll for a phone stand on my desk, haha.

« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2015, 23:36:55 by SamirD »

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #1678 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 23:50:11 »
Yeah, I saw one for cheap so I grabbed it. I managed to find an OTG and plugged it into my phone.

http://gfycat.com/FailingMisguidedBuzzard

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1679 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 07:59:17 »
Yeah, I saw one for cheap so I grabbed it. I managed to find an OTG and plugged it into my phone.

http://gfycat.com/FailingMisguidedBuzzard
That's completely badass!  I never thought about using an otg for adapting a keyboard to my phone!  Which adaptor did you use?  I think that's the best route for me to get an M on my phone as well.  Plus, I could just use it with a kvm and I could just use the phone like any of my other systems. :D

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #1680 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 23:00:18 »
It's just a random cheap OTG. So from DIN5 180 to USB A Male with Soarer's (from Othralicon), into the OTG and done.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1681 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 11:56:31 »
It's just a random cheap OTG. So from DIN5 180 to USB A Male with Soarer's (from Othralicon), into the OTG and done.
Nice!  My setup would be even easier as my kvm already converts the ps2 to usb.  I need to remember to get an otg soon.

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
« Reply #1682 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:13:48 »
Anyone kind enough to do mine?

WASD Code, White LEDS, MX Browns
http://imgur.com/oFRvpwF

Ducky Shine 3, Orange LEDs, MX Browns
http://imgur.com/uqma6fz
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline gabba-gool

« Reply #1683 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 14:10:56 »
I didn't see this one on the excel sheet either... would be awesome if someone could do mine as well!

Vortex POK3R with RBG keycap modifiers

114885-0

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #1684 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:42:23 »
Anyone kind enough to do mine?

WASD Code, White LEDS, MX Browns
http://imgur.com/oFRvpwF

I didn't see this one on the excel sheet either... would be awesome if someone could do mine as well!

Vortex POK3R with RBG keycap modifiers

(Attachment Link)

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
« Reply #1685 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 10:47:01 »
Thank you!
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #1686 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:21:35 »
Hey there! Could you do a model m (silver label) with RGB modifiers?

Offline Valff

« Reply #1687 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:49:43 »
I tried to make my keyboard with the pictures from the google doc.
It was long, but I did it  :)

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #1688 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:39:48 »

I tried my best  :(

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #1689 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:13:53 »

Show Image

I tried my best  :(

Show Image

You da man! Thank you! Would you be able to make me another? My other board is a poker 2 with Evergreen Keycaps like this but 60% of course
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:20:49 by thatsmrdoctortoyou »

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #1690 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:51:26 »
You da man! Thank you! Would you be able to make me another? My other board is a poker 2 with Evergreen Keycaps like this but 60% of course
Show Image

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #1691 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:58:56 »
Show Image

Show Image

Once again you are awesome, thank you!

Offline E3E

« Reply #1692 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 22:38:40 »

If anyone wants to do these, I'd appreciate it, but it's not necessary. I just always thought these pixel art graphics were cool.

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #1693 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 05:44:21 »
I might have missed something

Offline E3E

« Reply #1694 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 07:03:28 »
I might have missed something

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Couldn't ask for anything better. From a glance, that looks perfect to me! Thanks so much. I especially like the way you did my Fame keyboard with the SAMSUNG sticker.  :thumb:

Thank you very much!

Oh, the only thing I see that might have been missed is the little raised area on the top middle of the Octagon case that says "Octagon" like on my avatar.

It's really minor though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 07:18:52 by E3E »

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #1695 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 19:14:46 »

Oh, the only thing I see that might have been missed is the little raised area on the top middle of the Octagon case that says "Octagon" like on my avatar.

Here ya go.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1696 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:22:26 »

Show Image

Here ya go.

Thank you very much!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1697 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:47:33 »
Can someone help with a pixel art for this boring Joe OG Cherry caps board?

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #1698 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 19:25:47 »

That's a gorgeous keyboard.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1699 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 19:29:33 »
What's that case you're using? Tex acrylic?