geekhack Community > Reviews

KPT-102 Review

(1/3) > >>

Altis:
Hello fellow Geekhackers,

I thought I would write a little bit about the KPT-102 as there doesn't seem to be much information on it anywhere. This is my first review, so be kind.

I got this keyboard from a good friend of mine. It's the first mechanical keyboard I have ever used, back in the early 90s. I remember thinking it was really unique at the time, but never thought much of it until I got into keyboards. First thing I did of course was a full restore: took it all apart, cleaned everything thoroughly, cleaned and greased the switches.

The keyboard uses KPT alps (blue rectangular), which are clicky, very tactile, and fairly heavy. The switches are mounted on a plastic plate, and the body does seem to have a noticeable amount of flex and makes noise under pressure. This explains why it is a pretty lightweight keyboard. The keycaps feel pretty smooth, and are not pad-printed but rather double-shot. There are two uniquely-placed "\ |" keys in between the Ctrl and Alt keys on either side. The locking indicators are red, yellow, and green (in that order).

The keys feel quite and sound quite substantial. I would say they are heavier and more tactile than MX Blues, although I haven't tried Greens. I would describe them as 'crunchy', and some of the keys -- the less used groups (F-keys, upper right clusters) -- are particularly crunchy/snappy. The keys make quite a bit of noise overall, and have a hollow metallic 'ping' that can be heard upon upstroke.

The angle is quite steep when the feet are extended, and oddly enough, the two rubber pads located under the near-side of the keyboard are lifted off the surface when the feet are out, making it very easy to slide around. When the feet are retracted, the keyboard stays in place easily and the angle is normal.

The keyboard uses a 5-DIN connector, which I have rewired to a PS/2 connector. Strangely, there is a switch located near the connector on the electronic board itself that seems to prevent the keyboard from working. I had it wired up and could get the locking keys to work (light up the indicators), but no response from any other keys. I took it apart and moved the switch to the other position, and now it works normally. Not sure if it does something to the connections, perhaps changes the pin-out.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to help. Thanks!

Altis

rowdy:
KPT switch info here.

Altis:
Thanks, Rowdy. Wasn't sure about posting a reference to Deskthority Wiki.

rowdy:

--- Quote from: Altis on Tue, 13 May 2014, 20:44:33 ---Thanks, Rowdy. Wasn't sure about posting a reference to Deskthority Wiki.

--- End quote ---

It happens :p

We are trying to rebuild the GH wiki.

Pacifist:

--- Quote from: rowdy on Tue, 13 May 2014, 21:32:07 ---
--- Quote from: Altis on Tue, 13 May 2014, 20:44:33 ---Thanks, Rowdy. Wasn't sure about posting a reference to Deskthority Wiki.

--- End quote ---

It happens :p

We are trying to rebuild the GH wiki.

--- End quote ---

cept its really not happening :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version