Author Topic: USB hub in an AEK II  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
USB hub in an AEK II
« on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 20:39:07 »
So I have this AEK II that I want to mod to a Teensy with TMK's firmware and run off USB.  However, I want to keep the pass through open that is on the other side of the keyboard.  Those of you that aren't familiar with this keyboard there is a port on the left side that connects the keyboard to the computer and then there is another port on the right side to plug in the mouse.  I want to keep this functionality.  I already have contacted Pexon and he can and will make me a pair of cables so I can keep everything looking stock.

My question now is, in order to wire this up can I just splice into the wires between the left connector and the teensy to connect the right connector or do I need to add in a USB hub? 
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 April 2014, 23:19:05 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jacobolus

Re: USB on AEK II
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 02:52:44 »
Pretty sure you can’t just splice 2 usb wires together and wind up with a working splitter.

This topic might be useful (I haven’t read it) http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46437.0

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 09:20:54 »
Thanks for the link Jacobolus.  Looks like I am on the hunt for a small hub.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 23:18:46 »
Anyone have any suggestions for a stupid small USB Hub?  I only need 2 port non powered but has to be an actual hub.  I am planning on taking it out of its case and mounting it inside of an AEK with one port going to the keyboard Teensy, and the other going to the port on the right side to plug in the mouse.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: USB hub in an AEK II
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 07:24:28 »
Anyone have any suggestions for a stupid small USB Hub? 

I used this to create a USB hub in my naked stealth F-122.

It is about as small as I could find, and you can strip it out of the case,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Speed-USB2-0-3-Ports-USB-HUB-480Mbps-for-Apple-Mac-Notebook-PC-Computer-/190912662840?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item2c73480d38

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline OverKill

Re: USB hub in an AEK II
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 07:57:39 »
If you wanted to get really excited you could buy a usb hub chip and solder it on to a board and do all the programming and firmware on it. thats how you get it smaller ;)