Author Topic: CM Storm NovaTouch TKL?  (Read 4333 times)

Offline Profoundsoup

CM Storm NovaTouch TKL?
« on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:27:13 »
Any opinions are this keyboard?

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
Re: CM Storm NovaTouch TKL?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:27:39 »
Any opinions are this keyboard?

Search the review section, there are many reviews already out.

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:29:45 »
I've read many reviews; here are the top two opinions:

1. The stabilized keys are too noisy
2. No 55g? GTFO!!!1
3. Hurts their hands initially, but somehow like a brand new bicycle seat they get used to it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:31:19 by dante »

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:30:37 »

They can't be lubed?

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:32:14 »

They can't be lubed?

I'm sure they can.  Do you think someone who pays $200 should have to lube their keyboard; especially for one that is supposedly a "premium" product.

Offline Profoundsoup

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:33:56 »

2. No 55g? GTFO!!!1
3. Hurts their hands initially, but somehow like a brand new bicycle seat they get used to it.
Ummmmmm its actually 45, how can it HURT your hands, and also Id being wearing headphone so noise isnt an issue.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:35:42 by Profoundsoup »

Offline dante

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:37:35 »

2. No 55g? GTFO!!!1
Ummmmmm its actually 45, how can it HURT your hands, and also Id being wearing headphone so noise isnt an issue.

Just providing feedback from multiple users of this product.  I also had similar issues on the Realforce 87/FC660C; however not the HHKB.

A plate is great for saying "Hey look!  Look how heavy this is!  This must guarantee quality!" but sometimes not for your fingers.

Offline Profoundsoup

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:40:12 »

2. No 55g? GTFO!!!1

Just providing feedback from multiple users of this product.  I also had similar issues on the Realforce 87/FC660C; however not the HHKB.

A plate is great for saying "Hey look!  Look how heavy this is!  This must guarantee quality!" but sometimes not for your fingers.
Id buy the HHKB but it doesnt work for gaming where you need both the alt and the ctrl keys.....

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:55:36 »
I'm sure they can.  Do you think someone who pays $200 should have to lube their keyboard; especially for one that is supposedly a "premium" product.
I don't see why it's that big a deal. If you think the stabs are loud then lube it. Especially if it's the initial manufacturing run of the board.

Id buy the HHKB but it doesnt work for gaming where you need both the alt and the ctrl keys.....
I don't really follow... it has both...
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:57:43 by jwaz »

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:13:32 »

It only has one control key, not two.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:25:35 »

I believe he meant it has both a Control key and an Alt key.

But who needs the right Control when gaming anyways?
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:28:58 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline dante

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:29:27 »
I don't see why it's that big a deal. If you think the stabs are loud then lube it. Especially if it's the initial manufacturing run of the board.

Based on reviews more than a handful of people had an issue with the noisy stabilizers.  There should be no excuse why a $200 keyboard should leave the factory in this state!  Maybe you caught me on a bad day and my inner drama queen is coming out - but come on!  If the factory can't perform such a simple task as lubing the stabilizers then what other corners are being cut?  And yes it's the initial run but it's a keyboard not a freaking car!

If this was a $100 Topre clone I might let it slide; but if you are shelling out $200 - which to some people is not pocket change - you'd at least expect the stabilizers to be buttery smooth.  Otherwise people should not reward lazy apathetic corporate behavior and sit tight until a used one shows up on the classifieds/ebay or on Black Friday.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:33:12 by dante »

Offline Profoundsoup

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 12:27:42 »

I believe he meant it has both a Control key and an Alt key.

But who needs the right Control when gaming anyways?
What I mean is having the control to the left of the A key is hardly optimal for any gaming scenario IMO 

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 12:33:20 »
I own a Novatouch. Stock it requires some modding. It is lousy and it hides that beautiful thock sound that we all love. I did take it apart 2 times and I greased the stabs plus I performed the SpiceBar's silencing mod. It took me some time but the result is definitely worth it (Well I wasn't thinking that way after working 10 hours straight on the keyboard as I struggled for my first time opening a board ...).

Here is a link to the silencing mod in case you wonder: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65853.msg1540901#msg1540901

If you compare this board to his Topre counterpart it doesn't stand IMHO. However once you mod it, it is just a beast and is as good as the others even better as you have the opportunity to put your MX set on it.

I don't regret taking one and I never will (not so far at least).

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Profoundsoup

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 12:35:22 »
I own a Novatouch. Stock it requires some modding. It is lousy and it hides that beautiful thock sound that we all love. I did take it apart 2 times and I greased the stabs plus I performed the SpiceBar's silencing mod. It took me some time but the result is definitely worth it (Well I wasn't thinking that way after working 10 hours straight on the keyboard as I struggled for my first time opening a board ...).

Here is a link to the silencing mod in case you wonder: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65853.msg1540901#msg1540901

If you compare this board to his Topre counterpart it doesn't stand IMHO. However once you mod it, it is just a beast and is as good as the others even better as you have the opportunity to put your MX set on it.

Honestly noise isnt a issue for me because Im always listening to music or have headphones on :P

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 12:38:56 »

Honestly noise isnt a issue for me because Im always listening to music or have headphones on :p

I'm the same but it is just too nice to hear that sweet noise. I even stop my music sometimes just to listen to the sound of my fingers pressing the keys. It grows on you and you will like it too once you'll have yours. :p

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 15:14:05 »
There are actually a lot of threads here on the Novatouch with good info. I personally did not like the feeling and sound of the Novatouch in comparison to other Topre keyboards until I installed a silencing mod in it, after which I consider the Novatouch my favorite keyboard due to MX compatibility and having an enjoyable typing experience. The silencing mod did change the feeling of the keyboard for the better. The stabilizers on the Novatouch are difficult to silence however, especially the spacebar.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 15:26:59 »

They can't be lubed?

The answer is yes
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Magna224

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 22:00:43 »

Ah yes! Plates can cause pain! (Sooo much pain!!) I am a very heavy typist. Usually only on Cherry switches for me though (minus clears).

But to be on topic. I look forward to getting a novatouch because I like the profile of CMs TKL keyboards and can take my collection of keycaps. I won't pay more than $130 for it though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 22:02:49 by Magna224 »
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 03:18:56 »
There are actually a lot of threads here on the Novatouch with good info. I personally did not like the feeling and sound of the Novatouch in comparison to other Topre keyboards until I installed a silencing mod in it, after which I consider the Novatouch my favorite keyboard due to MX compatibility and having an enjoyable typing experience. The silencing mod did change the feeling of the keyboard for the better. The stabilizers on the Novatouch are difficult to silence however, especially the spacebar.
My space bar is smooth and quiet since I performed the silencing mod. I added a landing pad to the space bar slider and I put thick grease on both end of the wired. It doesn't make any sound now. Feels like butter.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 03:38:15 »

They can't be lubed?

The answer is yes

Hahaha.
I love you Khan.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 03:41:04 »
Just get the best board ever made! Realforce 104UB or 87UB

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 03:44:09 »

Oh hell no
HHKB type S

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 03:47:58 »

Oh hell no
HHKB type S

He said TKL. ;)

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 05:44:15 »

Oh hell no
HHKB type S
Well I guess that's just a matter of subjectivity.

Offline Volvicsoda

• Want some soda?
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 07:07:06 »
great comments up there.
I can't say Novatouch is better than any other topre keyboards out in the market, but it has its own merits.
Get yourself a thick & low keycap, and you are good to go :)
FC660C, Realforce 104UK-HiPro, Novatouch TKL, NMB RT101+, NMB 8755C+, BTC-5339 Cyrilic, IBM 1390131, IBM SSK,G86-52400, G80-8113,  MX-MINI, G81-3077, Skidata, Filco Camo, 3000SAG, 1724SPF, GMK C. Orange, GMK Dolch, GMK WoB, GMK TA, Filco SA...

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 14:26:06 »
great comments up there.
I can't say Novatouch is better than any other topre keyboards out in the market, but it has its own merits.
Get yourself a thick & low keycap, and you are good to go :)

Writing on a Leopold thick PBT keycaps and I must admit that it is way better than the ABS keycaps set. I heard that writing on a SA profile feels wonderful too.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 07:49:39 »
Now that is interesting. Nobody mentioned Novatouch's Cherry compatible stems.

I have few Topres and I will have to sell another kidney if I want to change the keycaps on them. With Novatouch, you can get decent custom Cherry PBT keys for half a kidney :-)

This Cherry Compatible keycaps is the second reason why I bought one. The first one is because I'm an obsessive compulsive keyboard buyer and I couldn't resist to a novelty like this.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 07:52:23 »
Now that is interesting. Nobody mentioned Novatouch's Cherry compatible stems.

I have few Topres and I will have to sell another kidney if I want to change the keycaps on them. With Novatouch, you can get decent custom Cherry PBT keys for half a kidney :-)

This Cherry Compatible keycaps is the second reason why I bought one. The first one is because I'm an obsessive compulsive keyboard buyer and I couldn't resist to a novelty like this.
I thought the only reason anyone bought the novatouch was for the cherry cap compatibility.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 08:04:25 »
I thought the only reason anyone bought the novatouch was for the cherry cap compatibility.

The novelty factor didn't move you?
I mean this is no WASD stunt with "Now available with Brown MX" Or gravity defying Cherry with fancy circuitry that achieves new and unprecedented results that no human being will ever noticed.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 08:07:24 »

The novelty factor didn't move you?
I mean this is no WASD stunt with "Now available with Brown MX" Or gravity defying Cherry with fancy circuitry that achieves new and unprecedented results that no human being will ever noticed.

Oh another reason. At least for us Canadians, the Novatouch is available in retail stores. So no Extra Extra Extra fees to import the stupid thing.
Boards I own, click ->
More