Author Topic: Strange issue with Code keyboard  (Read 1329 times)

Offline rich1051414

Strange issue with Code keyboard
« on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 15:38:59 »
I have had my Code TKL V2B with clears for a while now, like 2 years, but I have a lot and switch between them, but recently I have been having a problem, when there is any EMF in the background, like if my cell phone gets a text message, someone turns on the microwave in the next room, I turn on the plasma ball, etc, the keyboard absolutely wigs out. Keys stick, lights flicker, the keyboard disconnects, then reconnects again.

It only does it when there is a lot of EMF noise near it, but I can't trigger it in any other way. I have tried with different USB cables but it makes no difference. I can even trigger it with a HV voltage multiplier module by letting it arc about 5 feet from the keyboard. I have never seen anything like this.

Anyone know what could be causing this behavior?

Right now it is serving as a wonderful EMF detector, but that's about it, since it will randomly wig out through the day as soon as some stray EMF hits it.

I remember seeing this behavior a long time ago, but it didn't happen often, so I am not sure if it has always had it or not, as I could have a new appliance or something triggering it now that I didn't have before.

Before you ask, it doesn't happen to any of my other keyboards, so it isn't my PC. I am certain the issue is internal to the Code keyboard.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Strange issue with Code keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 00:53:42 »
I have a CODE TKL that I use at work.

There is a microwave about 3m away, and two mobile phones within 1m.

I have not noticed any abhorrent behaviour from it in any way.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Strange issue with Code keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 01:18:09 »
Have you tried another usb cable?   Also have you tried a cable with a ferrite bead on it?  I believe thats what they are for.  Not that it solves the question of why it just started acting up, but it may fix the issue.