Author Topic: Hacking a ball mouse controller into a trackball.  (Read 3833 times)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Hacking a ball mouse controller into a trackball.
« on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 14:27:16 »
A ball mouse and a trackball use the same technology: an optical transmitter aimed at an optical sensor, with the light path occluded intermittently by a wheel with holes in it, which in turn is moved by the ball.

I read an article in which a hacker replaces a trackball's physical optics with a laser mouse controller board. However, that project requires the translucent trackball to be sanded to provide the laser with a proper tracking surface. However, I don't want to sand down my trackball: i like it's glassy translucent appearance better than the scuffed.

Therefore I tried to mod a PS/2 mouse board by removing its optical semiconductors and wiring the pads to the optical sensors of the trackball, planning to follow through by wiring the mouse button pads to the trackball micro-switches. In theory, this should have been a simple replacement. However, the first test didn't work.

Is there a geekhacker with enough knowledge of ball-mouse optics to say whether mouse optics are commodity parts, such that one could swap optics between devices, or do I have to solder the original optics from the mouse onto the trackball frame because they are obviously not interchangeable?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 15:27:21 »
Experimental data:

I tried a transparent ball (Panther XL) and an opaque ball (TrackmanFX) just rolling them on an inverted mouse.The opaque ball tracked astonishingly well, essentially indistinguishable from performance in its factory track ball. The transparent ball didn't move the cursor. Biting the bullet, I took steel wool to the transparent ball, which makes it cloudy but not lunar-esque, and it now moves the cursor (poorly).
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 18:49:04 »
Quote from: ricercar;154633
Experimental data:

I tried a transparent ball (Panther XL) and an opaque ball (TrackmanFX) just rolling them on an inverted mouse.The opaque ball tracked astonishingly well, essentially indistinguishable from performance in its factory track ball. The transparent ball didn't move the cursor. Biting the bullet, I took steel wool to the transparent ball, which makes it cloudy but not lunar-esque, and it now moves the cursor (poorly).

Not sure if this guy still makes them or sells them. I know he refits them if you have one. Though I think he did mention he might have some stocks or he knows someone who can cast molds of them. I'm not too sure on it.

http://assassi.ning.com/

http://www.stevehailer.com/SteveHailer.com/Panther_XL_Store.html

He uses the MX510/518 engine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/steveoa3d#p/u

He has a few videos on how he assembles them.