Author Topic: Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014  (Read 34601 times)

Offline Jalberstone

Re: Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:20:31 »
The only reason I included Browns is because they're common.  If I had my way, Browns would be extinct and go the way of MX Locks.

I don't like browns either from my experiences with them so far.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 01:15:42 »
awesome initiative :j
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 01:33:30 »
i'd love to be able to check it out.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline Sniping

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 02:11:56 »
Guess what you guys. I got it! Thanks Sniping!

Uh one thing to note though: in the smaller tester, some switches fell out of the plate during shipping, I put them back as best I could according to the cheat sheet. All the whites feel the same to me anyways. And I don't know if any key caps were switched around between members so I can't go by pictures posted prior to this. Sorry about that Nubb and company! I will post a full review soon.

I'll probably take advantage of the full week to test it out.

EDIT: I'll probably keep it for like a couple more days actually. Not a full week anymore. I'm also gonna throw in a red, blue, and black o-ring underneath the first 3 key caps on the main tester because I have extras and I love dem o-rings. I feel like everyone should have them or at least try them out (my favorite is black). Sorry to the guys before me who didn't get a chance to test those  :-*

Also, there was no key cap puller so I'm throwing in an extra plastic one I have lying around.

I mainly wanted in on this tester to see how greens felt compared to blues. To me, they feel almost exactly the same. My blues on my WASD V1 keyboard actually feel lighter than the tester stock blue however. Hmm... I read that greens are supposed to be around 80g actuation, so I expected it to feel more like the 80g blue on the tester, but the 80g blue felt way heavier. I like that though. I like how all the 80g keys are super springy feeling.

So my main gripe on greens was the fact that they might be too heavy according to a few articles I've read on them being compared to IBM Model M's. But, they actually feel good. The 80g blue actually feels great as well! I'm totally gonna buy a new TKL with all greens now. Thanks for sending out this tester Nubb!

I'll be posting a full fledged review soon. Probably by the end of today.

About the switch falling out, I saw this happening too when I had the tester. I think it's just the plate being a bit loose, can't hold the switches in 100% when turned upside down and such.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 08:48:55 »
Yeah, I put superglue on the edges of the top six, but forgot to do it to the bottom two.  If more than the bottom two popped out, we need a new method to try and lock the switches in place so they don't pop out again.  I originally wrapped the little supplemental plate in bubblewrap which should help keep everything in the right place when shipping.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 10:57:46 »
Yeah, I put superglue on the edges of the top six, but forgot to do it to the bottom two.  If more than the bottom two popped out, we need a new method to try and lock the switches in place so they don't pop out again.  I originally wrapped the little supplemental plate in bubblewrap which should help keep everything in the right place when shipping.

Nubbs. You want me to superglue them again? I have like SUPER SUPER glue. If it doesn't matter, then I can just wrap it REAL nice in that bubble wrap and tape it up too before putting it in the box.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 12:48:16 »
Sup crew. I just shipped the package yesterday to smferris. I will be sending him the tracking info right after this post. I didn't get a chance to superglue the separate tester though. Hope it makes it through ok.

Offline smferris

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:19:58 »
Sup crew. I just shipped the package yesterday to smferris. I will be sending him the tracking info right after this post. I didn't get a chance to superglue the separate tester though. Hope it makes it through ok.

Even the glued ones have started coming loose now, so I'm not sure it would have mattered.  The bottom two on the left column and the bottom three on the right column have all come out.  The keycaps of the ones that are still glued don't match the photo earlier in the thread so trying to match that photo probably won't work.  I'll do my best to get the small tester back in the arrangement described on the sheet, but these are all new to me and I may screw some of them up, so if you're the next person consider yourself warned. :)

Is the red stem the ghost black/red?
Is the green stem the jailhouse blue?

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:50:43 »

Even the glued ones have started coming loose now, so I'm not sure it would have mattered.  The bottom two on the left column and the bottom three on the right column have all come out.  The keycaps of the ones that are still glued don't match the photo earlier in the thread so trying to match that photo probably won't work.  I'll do my best to get the small tester back in the arrangement described on the sheet, but these are all new to me and I may screw some of them up, so if you're the next person consider yourself warned. :)

Is the red stem the ghost black/red?
Is the green stem the jailhouse blue?

I wrapped both testers up pretty tight with bubble wrap and tape hoping it would hold, but I guess it didn't. Those same keys you mentioned were out for me too when I got them. I just assumed that the red stem was the ghost and the green was the jailhouse yea.

Offline smferris

« Reply #159 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 15:41:43 »

I wrapped both testers up pretty tight with bubble wrap and tape hoping it would hold, but I guess it didn't. Those same keys you mentioned were out for me too when I got them. I just assumed that the red stem was the ghost and the green was the jailhouse yea.

Oh, they were probably held in just fine until I unwrapped the tester in a way that rotated it upside down.  The problem with rolling something up in bubble wrap is people tend to unroll it without thinking. :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 18:56:03 »
would love to get in on this
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline smferris

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 00:38:26 »
I haven't had much personal experience with Cherry switches yet, though I'm trying to change that since several of the keyboards that interest me require them, so I'm mostly judging based on two different testers.  I had tried another tester recently, and had trouble feeling a tactile bump at all on browns.  This tester is nice because it's easy to compare the different switches with similar spring weights, and it was much easier for me to tell the difference between a 45g black and a 45g brown.  Browns still feel very close to linear to me, and I actually prefer a stock black over a stock brown.  A 45g brown tends to feel like a defective 45g black to me.  Comparing a 55g brown and a 55g black, I'm not entirely sure which I'd prefer, so I think part of the reason I don't care for browns is the springs are too light for me. 

Overall I seemed to like the 55g clears the best, so I may be joining the ergo-clear fan club.  The stock clear surprised me.  On the other tester I tried the clear had such a heavy spring that I preferred the black over the clear.  The stock clear on this tester feels much better to me, though I'd still prefer a lighter spring weight than the stock clear.  45g may be too light, but 55g may be a little too much.  If 50g springs exist a 50g ergo-clear may be the best Cherry switch for me.

The reds are too light for me, and the blues and whites are too loud for me.

I didn't care for the jailhouse blue or the ghost black.

I'll be sending the tester on to semyorka in the morning.

Offline gcb

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 00:20:47 »
I'd like to join also. btw, anyone else into hackspace scene? that can be a way to broaden the audience...

Offline Sniping

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 00:57:27 »
I'd like to join also. btw, anyone else into hackspace scene? that can be a way to broaden the audience...

It's a bit late and you don't meet the last requirement anyways. 7 posts and a fresh account ain't gonna cut it bro.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:03:29 »

It's a bit late and you don't meet the last requirement anyways. 7 posts and a fresh account ain't gonna cut it bro.

smferris got in (in regards to his post count). Don't know how, but he seemed like he was capable of handling the tester. But yea it is too late by now to join. I heard nubb was going to make this thing an international switch tester at some point in the future.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:05:05 by Folio »

Offline gcb

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:20:32 »
ah, well, maybe next time then. maybe it is for the best. my wallet thank you tho :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #166 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:27:12 »

smferris got in (in regards to his post count). Don't know how, but he seemed like he was capable of handling the tester. But yea it is too late by now to join. I heard nubb was going to make this thing an international switch tester at some point in the future.

There was interest, but I have to wait and see if there was enough interest. Logistically and cost wise it's more interesting to make it international.

And yes, it closed a while ago.  People who didn't meet the criteria were taken on a case by case basis and some I was willing to make an exception for.

Offline semyorka

« Reply #167 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 16:26:49 »
Hey folks - sorry for the radio silence on my part.  I got the switch tester last Monday, and have been playing with it all week.  Expect a short review soon.

Nubbinator, who am I supposed to send this off to next?

Looking for a 1387033...

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #168 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 17:37:35 »
Awesome!  I've always wanted to try clears with different springs!
Hi :)

Offline feizor

« Reply #169 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 19:48:17 »

There was interest, but I have to wait and see if there was enough interest. Logistically and cost wise it's more interesting to make it international.

And yes, it closed a while ago.  People who didn't meet the criteria were taken on a case by case basis and some I was willing to make an exception for.

I am interested, if you want to make it international  ;D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:05:34 »
Hey folks - sorry for the radio silence on my part.  I got the switch tester last Monday, and have been playing with it all week.  Expect a short review soon.

Nubbinator, who am I supposed to send this off to next?

Any motion on this?  And who to send it to, you should still have the info I sent you for Gameaholic.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 23:40:23 »
So, I hit up semyorka with another PM today after my last one has still gone unanswered.  Still trying to figure out what happened with the tester or if semyorka went AWOL with it.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 23:51:40 »
I really hope he responds. I mean, this tester was such a nice gesture on your part Nubbs. It'd be a shame if it was stolen.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 22:52:03 »
Got it in the mail two days ago.  Give me about a week and I'll send it along.  Who is after me?
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #174 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 15:11:32 »
Got it in the mail two days ago.  Give me about a week and I'll send it along.  Who is after me?

Yay, it showed up!  Yours is mooswa.  You should still have the PM with the shipping info in your PMs.  I don't think I have it anymore since I have too many PMs.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 07:41:35 »
Hooray! It resurfaced!

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #176 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 00:40:14 »
I need to change my address of where to send the switch tester to. Could nubbinator or whoever is supposed to send it to me pm me before it is my turn and I will tell them the correct address.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #177 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 13:30:53 »
I need to change my address of where to send the switch tester to. Could nubbinator or whoever is supposed to send it to me pm me before it is my turn and I will tell them the correct address.

PM your address to mooswa.

Offline njfn

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 08:45:19 »
Well, it seems that I am the one with a ridiculous low posts member.

I'm new to the forum and just registered today.  I am from Melbourne, Australia.

I am a CPU collector and I have been collecting vintage chips for over 10 years. I have a good friend in US (Klamath Falls, OR) who can receive and re-ship it to me.

Can I still sign up for this tester?
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 June 2014, 10:47:41 by njfn »
Alienware 14 i7-4900MQ/16GB/256SSD+750HDD/1920*1080
MacBook Pro 15' i7-2.3G/16GB/512GB/NV GT750M/Retina
Logitech G700s / Razer Ouroborous / Logitech MX Revolution
Deck Hassium Pro 108 / KBTalking Pro

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 02:04:29 »

PM your address to mooswa.

I did

Offline scaz

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 09:40:13 »
I would like to try it too.  Let me know how I can pass it along? Does anyone sell them? 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 09:47:31 »
It closed  a while ago.  I'll likely be doing things differently in R2 and will only have it open to more active members.

Offline scaz

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 10:16:50 »
Ok, thank you.  Where can I get testers?  The cooler master one is out. 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 10:28:33 »
Ok, thank you.  Where can I get testers?  The cooler master one is out.
Qwerkeys or make your own  like I did.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 23:54:08 »
Any update gameaholic and mooswa?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 08:48:21 »
Where is this at?

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 09:10:46 »
Sending it out to Jalberstone tmrw.  Sry for the delay. 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 23:41:17 »
Cool! I will post when I get it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 22:48:50 »
Did this ever arrive?

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 00:25:18 »
No I have not received it.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:22:12 »
Sorry for the delay.  I sent it out the other day and pm'd nubb the tracking number.  My favorite switches were the 55g and 62g blacks and clears.  I definitely like a lighter switch.  I don't mind clicky but if I was going to go back to clicky I would pull my SSK back out.   

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 20:11:29 »
I got it today!

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 02:33:39 »
Thank you nubbs for sending this out, and here is my review of the switch tester:

Linears: Reds are too light. Stock blacks are nice but vintage blacks are amazing! Linear grey is too heavy. 62g and 65g blacks are also nice. I also like ghost black/red, but I do not think it would bee too good for typing.

Tactiles: I do not like any browns because the bump is just not big enough and I find that I usually do not notice it. Stock clears, 62g, 65g, and 67g clears are my favorites. I would love to type on a full board of tactile greys, for I feel that it would be very hard to bottom them out.

Clickies: I love blues as they were my first mechanical switch I ever tried. I also like 67g blue because the bump feels more pronounced and very crisp. I also like 80g blue and greens. However, 80g blue also has a very crisp bump, but I think the bump on the green is slightly less than stock blues even. I've noticed this in multiple cases where I feel that the bump in greens are slightly less pronounced than blues. Does anyone else feel this way also? I like stock whites, 65g whites, and 67g whites also. The jailhouse blue felt like 67g blue but with a less noticeable bump, so I did not think it was anything special.

Once again thank you so much nubbs for sending this out, and I will ship it back to you on Monday.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 August 2014, 03:18:02 by Jalberstone »

Offline Scoox

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 09:09:16 »
I just did a test of the following switches (all stock models):

Linear: Black, Red
Clickies: White, Green, Blue
Tactiles: Grey, Clear, Brown

Reds, as pointed out before, were way to light. Blacks were too stiff IMO, and without any tactile feedback I always end up using more force than is required.

I didn't like the hysteresis of the clicky switches so much, because the finger needs to back off further when releasing the key. Also, it's not great for an audio production facility (my case) were quiet is desirable. But for me the deal breaker here was the fact that this switched is designed in such a way that fingers have to travel longer distances. Still, the blue was my second favourite.

When I tested the tactile switches, I favoured those with a more pronounce bump, so the brown switch got evicted immediately. The grey and the clear seem to have a similar bump, but the grey was too stiff, so I concluded the clear switch was the best for me. Then I did an experiment: I installed the spring from the brown switch in the clear switch. I really like the way this feels. It has the light touch of the brown with a nice big initial bump to prevent accidental key presses and provide definite tactile feedback.

Summary: For me the winner is the Cherry MX Clear with a lighter spring.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 March 2015, 09:14:13 by Scoox »