Author Topic: [GB] Zephyr 65% Custom RGB Keyboard Kit  (Read 73297 times)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
[GB] Zephyr 65% Custom RGB Keyboard Kit
« on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 01:31:27 »
Hey Clackers,

After many design tweaks and prototypes, we're proud to finally announce the launch of the Zephyr 65% kit. Inspired by clean designs and sleek looks, no compromises were made in the production of this keyboard. There will be four colors to choose from: Midnight Blue, Onyx Black, Scarlet Red, and Cool Gray. Each Zephyr will be carefully packed in a custom black & gold box, paired with a Zeal65 黑金 Special Edition RGB PCB. Quantities are limited, and the buy is subject to closure without notice upon reaching the target quantity OR GB end date.

Midnight Blue

Onyx Black

Scarlet Red

Cool Gray

Zeal65 黑金 Special Edition RGB PCB

With GMK Yuri

Proper high-profile case

GMK Red Alert

GB link: https://zealpc.net/products/zephyr

What's included?
Zephyr Black & Gold Box
Zephyr 65% Aluminum Keyboard
5mm CNC PVD Brass Plate
PVD Brass Nameplate
Zeal65 黑金 Special Edition RGB PCB
Bag of Screws (Gold, Silver, Black, all inclusive)
Custom Bumpons

Specs:
USB C
QMK
In Switch RGB LEDs
Black & Gold "黑金" PCB, Gold Traces
PCB Fully Factory Soldered
5mm Plate, CNC Cut to Support Switch Snap Fit
Polished PVD Brass Plate & Nameplate
ANSI WKL only (1.5/1.5/7/1.5/1.5/1/1/1)
Regular/Stepped Caps Lock Support
Split Backspace Support
Dovetail Inspired Interlocking Construction
Anti Stabilizer Wire Popping Out Technology

Price: Starting at $550 + S&H

Option to add Zealios/Zilents/Tealios + 1x 7u, 3x 2u stabilizer set to Zephyr shipment.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 February 2018, 07:28:20 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Re: [GB] Zephyr 65% Custom RGB Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 01:32:00 »
Reserved

Time Frame:

Feb 7 - Feb 28, collecting orders. Subject to early closure if target quantities met.

March 1: Submit order to the manufacturer

March 15: Receive Zeal65 黑金 Special Edition RGB PCBs (Delayed, Shipping out end of April)

June 15: Zephyrs partially received, Packing/Shipping.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 June 2018, 02:32:01 by Zeal »

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 03:52:14 »
Approval bump  :thumb:

As always, caveat emptor.

Offline Petch

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 04:00:55 »
I'm curious as to how well switches stay on the keyboard. With the plate being so thick they can't 'click' in and a solderless PCB, what's holding them in?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 04:15:40 »
I'm curious as to how well switches stay on the keyboard. With the plate being so thick they can't 'click' in and a solderless PCB, what's holding them in?

The plate is milled, where the switch is supposed to clip, in that point the plate is 1.5mm 

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 04:21:29 »

This isn't a solderless PCB.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 06:24:06 »

The plate is milled, where the switch is supposed to clip, in that point the plate is 1.5mm

I wonder how a 5mm plate sounds.

The Zephyr looks fantastic, but the Stabilizer cutouts are quite a concern since it doesn’t extend farther than the nearby switches. It may suffer from the same issue the KBD75 R1 plate had, not allowing the Stabilizer Wire to fully go up, and hitting the plate. Testing with a Aristotle switch may be a good way to test it. :(

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 06:57:00 »
The Zephyr looks fantastic, but the Stabilizer cutouts are quite a concern since it doesn’t extend farther than the nearby switches. It may suffer from the same issue the KBD75 R1 plate had, not allowing the Stabilizer Wire to fully go up, and hitting the plate. Testing with a Aristotle switch may be a good way to test it. :(

Clearance with the wire won't be a problem.

There's a cavity in the plate for the length of the wire. Zeal calls this "Anti Stabilizer Wire Popping Out Technology"  ;D

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 07:08:11 »

Show Image

There's a cavity in the plate for the length of the wire. Zeal calls this "Anti Stabilizer Wire Popping Out Technology"  ;D

That’s really good to hear. Thank you for the picture Wilba!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 08:40:12 »
Any full pictures of the top of the case?  Any info on layout compatibility without having to decipher from several partial pics of the plate?  And if one of the prototypes has been built, I'd be curious to see a typing video or a write up on how the plate sounds and feels compared to a thinner brass.  thanks
keyboards.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 09:12:55 »
That blue + gold combination looks great.
I'm wondering what keyset to pair it with?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 09:13:03 »
Any full pictures of the top of the case?  Any info on layout compatibility without having to decipher from several partial pics of the plate?  And if one of the prototypes has been built, I'd be curious to see a typing video or a write up on how the plate sounds and feels compared to a thinner brass.  thanks

Only have this image from the camera from the last shoot.

Don't have the USB C Zeal65 PCB yet, so can't do a build log yet until after CNY is over. I can outfit the Zephyr with some keycaps and do a photoshoot over the weekend.

That blue + gold combination looks great.
I'm wondering what keyset to pair it with?

Nautilus? I wish I had picked up a set now.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 February 2018, 09:17:53 by Zeal »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 09:47:40 »
With a 5 mm thick plate, wouldn't it touch the PCB?
I also don't see any soldermask on these PCB images.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 10:04:00 »
With a 5 mm thick plate, wouldn't it touch the PCB?
I also don't see any soldermask on these PCB images.

There is a very fine routing underneath the plate for a bit of clearance from the PCB.

Soldermask is clear on the Zeal65 黑金 PCBs. You can see the slight "halo" around traces/text in the sample images. I'll take a new photo once I get factory assembled versions of the new USB C Zeal65s.

Offline Peppermint216

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 10:30:16 »
Any pictures of the sides, how about some full view photos also please?

Offline energyd

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 11:22:34 »
Just want to make sure this will support hot swap sockets sold by Zeal. For a keyboard as expensive as this I don't want it to be locked in with one kind of switch (don't want to do de-solder work either)

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 11:48:20 »
Just want to make sure this will support hot swap sockets sold by Zeal. For a keyboard as expensive as this I don't want it to be locked in with one kind of switch (don't want to do de-solder work either)

I was thinking the same thing.  Got to protect that investment.

Offline energyd

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 12:12:42 »

Yea, the M60-A and the Tokyo60 are both solderless assembly right out the box. Seems like a tread now. Could the Zephyr65 adopt the same given the layout is already somewhat fixed to ANSI WKL already, shouldn't be too hard

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 12:37:52 »
What's the case slope angle? And how high is the front bezel? And I assume it's full hi pro, not fake like m65a?
keyboards.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 13:13:29 »
What's the case slope angle? And how high is the front bezel? And I assume it's full hi pro, not fake like m65a?

7.5 degrees, just a bit over 2cm high before bumpons (so expect under 2.5cm with feet), true high profile. You won't see any gaps when keycaps are mounted.

Quick phone pics for now, til I do photoshoot with full keycaps etc over weekend. Actual blue is a bit darker than pictured, but blue colour also shifts depending on day and ambient lighting.

*closest to the blue of the case when no direct light. If under dark ambient conditions, the blue does become very deep/navy.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 February 2018, 13:25:19 by Zeal »

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 13:34:13 »
Sexy board, I like how the PCB hold is right in the centre.
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 13:55:49 »
Reserved

Time Frame:

Feb 7 - Feb 28, collecting orders. Subject to early closure if target quantities met.

March 1: Submit order to the manufacturer

March 15: Receive Zeal65 黑金 Special Edition RGB PCBs

April X: Receive Zephyr bulk shipment, perform QC, etc.

Fulfill all orders within 1 week.

So what are targets? Just curious....I already ordered a Grey, just want to try it asap! lol

Offline Perfex

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 14:37:07 »
true high profile. You won't see any gaps when keycaps are mounted.

I'm very happy to hear this, it's settled I'm buying it.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 14:43:39 »
Thanks for answering all my questions and being prompt with pictures.
keyboards.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 15:59:06 »

Show Image

ASWPOT

really rolls off the tongue

GLWGB
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dc_in_sf

• Old Bastard
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 18:36:25 »
such a beautiful looking board! Would get it in a heartbeat if it wasn't WKL, sorely tempted anyway...

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 18:37:05 »

Yea, the M60-A and the Tokyo60 are both solderless assembly right out the box. Seems like a tread now. Could the Zephyr65 adopt the same given the layout is already somewhat fixed to ANSI WKL already, shouldn't be too hard

The Zeal65 PCB is mostly the same design as the Zeal60, and both are compatible with the hot swap sockets that Zeal stocks (aka. Holtite sockets).

Due to the ENIG (gold plated) pads, these sockets don't "stick" if inserted with a soldering iron (one method that's been demonstrated), like they do for HASL (solder tinned) pads. What I do is solder the pads first, then remove solder from the pad holes, before installing the sockets with a soldering iron. It's a little more work, but then you have a PCB that can have switches swapped without the sockets coming out.

Due to a few possible layout options, using Kailh switch sockets like I use on the M60-A isn't possible. While the bottom row is fixed to 1.5-1.5-7-1.5-1.5-1-1-1, there are split backspace and stepped caps lock options. Kailh switch sockets also aren't (very) compatible with putting a USB connector in between two switches, when the sockets are on the edge of the PCB (i.e. when switches are oriented with LEDs at the bottom).

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 19:09:36 »
What I do is solder the pads first, then remove solder from the pad holes, before installing the sockets with a soldering iron. It's a little more work, but then you have a PCB that can have switches swapped without the sockets coming out.

Any chance you have a picture? Would like to see how much solder you use etc.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 19:23:34 »
What I do is solder the pads first, then remove solder from the pad holes, before installing the sockets with a soldering iron. It's a little more work, but then you have a PCB that can have switches swapped without the sockets coming out.

A picture now won't really help, maybe one before you put in the socket would.

I just fill the inside of all the holes with solder, just like making a nice solder joint, so there's a slight dome on the whole pad. Then I put the PCB in a vice and heat up the "joint" with an iron while using a desoldering pump (solder sucker) to suck out the solder from the switch side of the PCB. Then clean up any excess solder from the pad with wick. Ideally you get a very thin amount of solder inside the hole. If it's got a little more (i.e. the hole isn't perfectly round), that's fine, it means the socket won't fit and while you push in the socket with the iron, it will heat up that solder and let it go in fully.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 21:50:02 »
Does the plate support costar stabs?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 22:31:15 »
Does the plate support costar stabs?

no, you can tell from the shape of the cutout
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 23:38:33 »

I just fill the inside of all the holes with solder, just like making a nice solder joint, so there's a slight dome on the whole pad. Then I put the PCB in a vice and heat up the "joint" with an iron while using a desoldering pump (solder sucker) to suck out the solder from the switch side of the PCB. Then clean up any excess solder from the pad with wick. Ideally you get a very thin amount of solder inside the hole. If it's got a little more (i.e. the hole isn't perfectly round), that's fine, it means the socket won't fit and while you push in the socket with the iron, it will heat up that solder and let it go in fully.

I do this too when I use holtites. One thing to be careful of is if you have too much solder, it will flow through the gaps in the holtites (at least the gold zeal ones) and block the center.

Offline energyd

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 09:43:14 »

I do this too when I use holtites. One thing to be careful of is if you have too much solder, it will flow through the gaps in the holtites (at least the gold zeal ones) and block the center.

thx guys. Sounds like a project especially for newbie like me (I'm too bad at using the solder sucker..). How much time do you expect it to take?

Offline JFKroflcopter

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 12:39:35 »

7.5 degrees, just a bit over 2cm high before bumpons (so expect under 2.5cm with feet), true high profile. You won't see any gaps when keycaps are mounted.

Quick phone pics for now, til I do photoshoot with full keycaps etc over weekend. Actual blue is a bit darker than pictured, but blue colour also shifts depending on day and ambient lighting.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

*closest to the blue of the case when no direct light. If under dark ambient conditions, the blue does become very deep/navy.
Show Image

Hi Zeal - did you get a chance to take any Zephyr pics with switches/keycaps this weekend? Really interested to see more!

Offline odd

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 13:02:21 »
Quote from: MajorKoos links=topic=93966.msg2558899#msg2558899 date=1518112100

Is it possible to change the color of my order? That blue looks fantastic

Offline Data

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 15:04:14 »
Beautiful case & PCB.  That plate looks THICCCC.  When you work your way up to a 75% my wallet is ready.   ;)

Offline energyd

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 18:20:27 »
Beautiful case & PCB.  That plate looks THICCCC.  When you work your way up to a 75% my wallet is ready.   ;)

Still battling b/w this vs. M60-A. The blue looks amazing

Offline Wongstongs

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 19:42:53 »
Dropped by Zeal's office today to pick up some Zilents...and take some spy shots of the Zephyr. Gotta say it's one of the best keyboard's I've had my grubby hands on! The red is so much better in person than in pictures, with the gold plate and weight it looks like Ironman's suit.

Offline trikoi00

• GMK bias
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 01:46:52 »
Beautiful.. is there any shot of the grey case ? Very interested in an clear shot of it.

Offline wongie

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 03:19:59 »
Seeing more shots of the monochrome black and silver make me regret cancelling it and reordering gray instead. I'm definitely interested in seeing more shots of the gray case; would be nice to know what caps will match it in preparation. Also curious whether it's unmistakably a gray shade or whether it's gray in name only meaning if you didn't know it was called gray whether you could just as well think it was dark silver instead as the initial teaser shot suggests.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 07:34:36 »
Seeing more shots of the monochrome black and silver make me regret cancelling it and reordering gray instead.

I originally planned on going with red but the black with silver pvd just looked too damn good.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline JFKroflcopter

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 08:00:28 »
Seeing more shots of the monochrome black and silver make me regret cancelling it and reordering gray instead. I'm definitely interested in seeing more shots of the gray case; would be nice to know what caps will match it in preparation. Also curious whether it's unmistakably a gray shade or whether it's gray in name only meaning if you didn't know it was called gray whether you could just as well think it was dark silver instead as the initial teaser shot suggests.

This was Zeal's response when I asked for a little more detail about the Cool Gray color:

"It's hard to evaluate picture colours online, but Cool Gray is a bit darker than regular brushed stainless steel http://s3.amazonaws.com/finewoodworking.s3.tauntoncloud.com/app/uploads/2016/09/05215318/Stainless_Steel-main.jpg "

Offline trikoi00

• GMK bias
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 08:41:32 »
would be cool if the grey is like Engima Grey from Norbauer Case or Grey with no blue tint.

Offline Wongstongs

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 10:51:00 »
would be cool if the grey is like Engima Grey from Norbauer Case or Grey with no blue tint.

The grey is nice and leans towards the silver side of the spectrum rather than the blueish grey side. The description above from Zeal is quite accurate.

Offline Marutks

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 22:00:53 »
I ordered blue one.    ;D
What are In Switch RGB LEDs? GMK keycaps are not very translucent.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 06:56:47 »

LEDs in the switches. You don't need translucent caps because the light will shine around them.
keyboards.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 07:55:42 »

The LEDs are underneath each switch, requiring either transparent/translucent switches (ideally), or switches with a cutout in the bottom housing and a transparent top housing.

Some animated lighting effects are available, but the main intention with Zeal65 PCB (and Zeal60 PCB) is just to give a glow between the keycaps in a choice of color or color blends to match keycaps, rather than being locked into one color by using single-color LEDs.

Offline seantimm

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 08:27:08 »

I’m interested in the blue one as well but can’t decide between silver and gold plates.  It seems like silver would be less impactful to any lighting scheme on the exposed silver parts.  I wish there were some pics with keycaps and lighting to help me decide.  :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Quantastrophus

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 10:14:09 »
Really nice board and I'm considering getting a Black/Silver kit. Would be even more compelling if it had blockers available  ;).
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 February 2018, 10:30:25 by Quantastrophus »

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:17:37 »

I’m interested in the blue one as well but can’t decide between silver and gold plates.  It seems like silver would be less impactful to any lighting scheme on the exposed silver parts.  I wish there were some pics with keycaps and lighting to help me decide.  :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with Blue and Gold.