Author Topic: EXENT 65% Custom Keyboard (most exciting community project of 2017)  (Read 118030 times)

Offline Vigrith

Re: EXENT 65% Custom Keyboard (most exciting community project of 2017)
« Reply #350 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:02:43 »
My first couple boards were reds and browns but they always seemed way too light for me.  Tried out gat blacks which were a bit better but just way too inconsistent for me.  Got some vint blacks and some 78g springs and fell in love.

Ye gat blacks/yellows I'll do as well, I actually rather those over reds nowadays to be honest but they're a bit harder to come by seeing as I can't solder and only buy my boards assembled. A lot easier to just ask for browns or reds rather than those 2, sadly.

Offline Traveler

« Reply #351 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:07:33 »
Damn missed that last picture! Any chance that this board still release this week or has it been pushed into next week?

According to someone on Discord who's friends with a few of these guys the release is planned for "next week or next next week". Take that with a large grain of salt since that news didn't come from any of the creators, but that's the latest I've heard.

Offline imprevade

« Reply #352 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:09:50 »
show it with caps damn it :'(

Offline losskutleboys

« Reply #353 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:15:35 »
My first couple boards were reds and browns but they always seemed way too light for me.  Tried out gat blacks which were a bit better but just way too inconsistent for me.  Got some vint blacks and some 78g springs and fell in love.

Ye gat blacks/yellows I'll do as well, I actually rather those over reds nowadays to be honest but they're a bit harder to come by seeing as I can't solder and only buy my boards assembled. A lot easier to just ask for browns or reds rather than those 2, sadly.

Actually i have both gateron blacks and mx blacks and im surprised by how much i prefer the gaterons over cherry. I've always been skeptical about knock-off brands but damn gateron did a great job. I actually have mx blacks lying around and planning to make them as close as possible to gateron blacks but i don't know which spring weight to get. I'm thinking 68g or 72g maybe ? Oh that's weird i thought gateron keyboards are more widely available nowadays compared to cherry.
My comfort food is instant ramen

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #354 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:15:56 »
Amazing work everyone involved. Very excited to see the outcome of your work.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #355 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:24:20 »
Actually i have both gateron blacks and mx blacks and im surprised by how much i prefer the gaterons over cherry. I've always been skeptical about knock-off brands but damn gateron did a great job. I actually have mx blacks lying around and planning to make them as close as possible to gateron blacks but i don't know which spring weight to get. I'm thinking 68g or 72g maybe ? Oh that's weird i thought gateron keyboards are more widely available nowadays compared to cherry.

The only switch Cherry makes nowadays that I like more than I like the gateron alternatives is green. Gat reds, browns, blacks, even blues I actually rather over Cherry. They just feel smoother, no "gritty" feeling as you get on cherries without lube/spring modding.

Offline el_mechacontext

• You can find my body in the mechacontext.
« Reply #356 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:27:19 »

I feel exactly the same way- after comparing Gateron Blues to Cherry, and then again with Blacks, I'm just totally over Cherry switches unless they're Vintage Bs. I still haven't tried Zeals tho :(
Pok3r MX Clears | CM Storm Stealth MX Blues | Dell AT101W Alps Blacks | Happy Hacking Keyboard Uni 45g | Ortholinear Planck Gateron Blacks

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #357 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:30:11 »
Tactile grays.. :eek:

And what a strange coincidence, I was just looking around for a keyboard with those to finally try them out.
Should I go all in?
I mean, it's like a sign or something.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #358 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:36:07 »
Tactile grays.. :eek:

And what a strange coincidence, I was just looking around for a keyboard with those to finally try them out.
Should I go all in?
I mean, it's like a sign or something.

Go for it.  I'm between those or maybe silent blacks if I can find some by the time this is ready.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #359 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:47:37 »
Go for it.  I'm between those or maybe silent blacks if I can find some by the time this is ready.

I REALLY wanna try silents but I doubt they'll be readily available for the assembled kits oco will be offering - especially with some big case goodness I bet they'll feel and sound heavenly.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #360 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:49:54 »

I REALLY wanna try silents but I doubt they'll be readily available for the assembled kits oco will be offering - especially with some big case goodness I bet they'll feel and sound heavenly.

Man, just get the kit and the switches.  I'll assemble it and send it to you.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #361 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 13:28:53 »
THEY DID IT!  THEY FOUND A WAY TO REMOVE THE HOME BUTTON!  Damn, even the lightning port is gone now!

158093-0

Is it okay if I go ahead and leak a pic of the GMK set even though its on the older prototype case with the home button?:

158099-1

Apologies to juahenza and RAMA.... it's Friday and I need booze.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 14:33:36 by reececonrad »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #362 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 14:30:57 »
THEY DID IT!  THEY FOUND A WAY TO REMOVE THE HOME BUTTON!  Damn, even the lightning port is gone now!

(Attachment Link)

Is it okay if I go ahead and leak a pic of the GMK set even though this its on the older prototype case with the home button:

(Attachment Link)

Bwa-ha ha! Spot on.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #363 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 14:39:21 »
So good! The Apple design comparison makes me want one even more!
Such a clean, minimalist look and absolutely in line with Apple's design standards, I love it!

Offline Traveler

« Reply #364 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 14:48:17 »
The Apple-esque design is what draws me to this keyboard. It's so clean and minimal with a head-turning design.

That draws me, and the price haha.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #365 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 15:22:04 »

(Attachment Link)

Is it okay if I go ahead and leak a pic of the GMK set even though its on the older prototype case with the home button?:

(Attachment Link)

if that is the set, the powder pink case option is what it's made for, eh? And the blue. Man. I need to sell stuff I guess.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #366 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:10:45 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

if that is the set, the powder pink case option is what it's made for, eh? And the blue. Man. I need to sell stuff I guess.

The set is black on black..

:))

Offline robbles

« Reply #367 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:50:36 »
I really wanted to branch out and try a different color than black for this board, but after seeing the photos and knowing the set will be black on black, it will be hard not to go fully murdered out.

Do we know if this will be a raffle or a true group buy?
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #368 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:57:04 »
Group buy, at least last we heard it'd been confirmed.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #369 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 19:56:27 »
(Attachment Link)

Damn, I thought the 6+ was huge. That thing will never fit in my back pocket.

« Reply #370 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 20:52:23 »
So I know it's to each their own... I loved the mock-ups, but I have to say seeing the most recent image that the side bezels are a bit too extreme. I love the apple aesthetic but the width makes the board look slightly comical, and I feel as thought you could achieve the same look with an oversized bezel but slightly less so then the current version .

Either way I'll probably end up buying one so what does it really matter!  :rolleyes:

Offline imprevade

« Reply #371 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 00:31:43 »
Trying to figure out what color I'm going to get.
158166-0
158168-1
Bonus round; please offer champagne as well—
158170-2

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
« Reply #372 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 04:52:51 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Can you do one with the mbp speaker grill?
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #373 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 07:58:31 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

The new Penumbra profile is 1-2-3-3-4-4 not 1-2-3-3-4-3.

Oddly enough, your pictures convinced me away from buying an Exent. I think I'd want a thicker case to complement SA caps, and the bezels really bring out how thin the case is.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 January 2017, 08:00:39 by clappingcactus »

Offline LogicLoop

« Reply #374 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 09:27:56 »
Forgive my ignorance of 65% boards but if I wanted the long right shift on this board, I assume the two switches in that position would fill the left and right stems where the stabilisers would normally go? I feel like the answer has to be yes, but i thought I'd make sure.

Offline Traveler

« Reply #375 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 09:37:06 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Thanks for this mock-up! I tried making some of my own and failed miserably. I wanted to so what Nantucket Selectric would look like with different EXENT colors. Since it also has blue modifiers and white-ish keys your mock-ups give me a good idea.

If that shade of space-gray is accurate I think it looks fantastic. That champagne/gold looks really good too. Equally good really. If they surprise us with a champagne option I'll have to give it some serious thought.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #376 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 09:45:14 »
Forgive my ignorance of 65% boards but if I wanted the long right shift on this board, I assume the two switches in that position would fill the left and right stems where the stabilisers would normally go? I feel like the answer has to be yes, but i thought I'd make sure.

Negative.  PCB supports standard 2.75u shift key.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #377 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 10:24:38 »

It does support long right shift, just instead 1 switch would be soldered and a stabilizer installed.

Offline imprevade

« Reply #378 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 12:08:14 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

The new Penumbra profile is 1-2-3-3-4-4 not 1-2-3-3-4-3.

Oddly enough, your pictures convinced me away from buying an Exent. I think I'd want a thicker case to complement SA caps, and the bezels really bring out how thin the case is.

You have a keen eye sir. I've been making these models to design my own keysets, and I'll be sticking with a more universal 1-2-3-3-4-3 profile. These mock-ups are more about looking at the colors of the case. I'm in on Amazing Choclatier, Dancer, and Penumbra—but I didn't have enough foresight to get the Whitefox kits, so unless I can buy what I need from someone else, I'll have to put Penumbra on the Extent, or something else down the line.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #379 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 12:25:43 »
This last 6 months has been excellent for 65% keyboards!
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Traveler

« Reply #380 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 16:46:09 »

Keep an eye on this just in case. A photo complete with keycaps was posted for about 15 minutes yesterday, and despite how good these renders are the real thing is so much better. The keys are inset just a little more and the spacing for everything is really good.

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #381 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 00:42:52 »
If this keyboard go to GB, it will be raffle style or open for everyone?

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #382 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 03:09:01 »

456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #383 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 06:44:07 »
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline raymogi

« Reply #384 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 06:45:23 »
wao pls jua
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Perfex

« Reply #385 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 08:39:36 »
Will you have any additional prototypes to show off before the buy begins?, am really interested to see what silver variant with matching base will look like.

Offline sems

« Reply #386 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 08:52:43 »
Would it be possible to have an ortholinear layout with this case?

Offline el_mechacontext

• You can find my body in the mechacontext.
« Reply #387 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 09:22:48 »
Is there any word yet on when the GB will start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pok3r MX Clears | CM Storm Stealth MX Blues | Dell AT101W Alps Blacks | Happy Hacking Keyboard Uni 45g | Ortholinear Planck Gateron Blacks

Offline ironpup

• Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #388 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 09:35:35 »
Is there any word yet on when the GB will start?

Please let there be word :confused:

Offline LogicLoop

« Reply #389 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 10:43:01 »

It does support long right shift, just instead 1 switch would be soldered and a stabilizer installed.

Okay, thanks.

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #390 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 11:27:16 »
Well ****. I'm in.

Sent from my microwave oven using alternating current

Offline robbles

« Reply #391 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 11:58:38 »
Thnx Jua. So stoked.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #392 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 12:00:37 »
Check this out

So retro

Sent from my microwave oven using alternating current

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #393 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 12:11:15 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

What keycap set is this?  Looks sharp!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker

Offline codedisorg

« Reply #395 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 12:22:20 »
Oh damn really? I thought someone had finally got GMK Nightmare off the ground.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #396 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 18:46:24 »
The more I look at it, the more I dislike the cutout for the acrylic in the front.
Still gonna buy it

Offline ntw

« Reply #397 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 19:31:47 »
The more I look at it, the more I dislike the cutout for the acrylic in the front.
Still gonna buy it

OMG now that you pointed it out!!!

Still gonna buy it too... rip wallet  :-[
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline robbles

« Reply #398 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 21:41:11 »
Curious to know how the plate is mounted into the two pieces of the case, and how the PCB sits in all of it. Slightly worried the metal on metal case/plate will cause pinging on keystrokes.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #399 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 22:07:04 »
Still gonna buy it

I don't think you are required to have that on your board. If you get the solid bottom rather than the underglow one then it should just all be uniform.