Author Topic: Keyboard storage boxes  (Read 6532 times)

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Keyboard storage boxes
« on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 18:50:37 »
So I've been looking into keyboard storage boxes for quite some time now for those custom boards and finally had some time to take some measurements, a tenkeyless is around 14.5"~ for custom ones and a SSK is 16"~

Ideally you want some extra room for example the SSK box i use right now also holds the cable on the side and its 19"

I was aiming for a 18-19" ones and I found one that fits full size keyboards 19 1/8" x 9 1/8" x 2 3/16" but thought it was too big, but now that I did the measurements it's just fine (My KMAC is actually in a box in that size and it's perfect)

http://www.shippingsupply.com/p-1157-19-18-x-9-18-x-2-316-deluxe-literature-mailers.aspx

That is the cheapest I found which is $37.20 for 50 boxes + shipping, for me it comes to $57.96 which is cheaper then uline.com

I know most people wouldn't need 50 boxes so if you have other Geekhackers locally to you this would be a good time to split some boxes with each other :)

Worst comes to worst just get 50 and use the rest to ship stuff :P
Keyboardless

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Re: Keyboard storage boxes
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 18:51:38 »
First!

Maybe I will ask the Seattle meet up folks to do a mini group buy on this to save shipping.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 18:53:39 »
Yeah a normal GB would not be good since the price tiers isn't that great and reshipping this stuff will eat up all the money saved and more
Keyboardless

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 19:06:05 »
hmm might need to do a bay area group buy :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 19:25:00 »
These are very nice. I have been using the free flat rate Priority Mail game board boxes but they are way big - about 2'x1'x3" which is perfect for about 2 Model Ms face-to-face with plenty of space on the sides for padding. If I remember correctly you can even get (2) 122-key terminal boards in without straining.

I would love to get about 10 of these for about $15 if anybody else is in the North Metro Atlanta area, but I don't want to sponsor the buy.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 20:49:18 »
Free is good buy those game board boxes are huge i think i can fit like 4 tenkeyless inside :P
Keyboardless

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 21:16:23 »
Keep in mind using priority mail boxes for anything but mailing stuff is questionably legal.

That said, I have about 1o left over that I will use to mail keyboards, etc. The pile of full ones in my closet is huge.

They are neatly labelled at least.
---
Maybe I'll cut the boxes down a little, or use the cardboard to make a phantom case (or keycap set case, like topre does)
---
I noticed these boxes when I was browsing the uline catalog at work. This seems to be a pretty good deal for them, but most of us don't need 50.

I wonder how cheaply we could ship like 25 or 10 or 5 of them? I'd gladly do a GB, but no-one lives nearby, so I'd have to reship some to people. (Wow, do I really have 17 keyboards?)

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 21:16:24 »
Someone in the Chi buy this and give me 1.  I just need 1!!!

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 02:01:17 »
I'm trying to think of a way that shipping packages of these boxes doesn't diminish the value of buying them.

Like seriously, I'll buy a box of 50, keep a couple and give the rest away if you guys cover shipping.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 03:02:23 »
Would you guys be interested in Tenkeyless storage boxes?  I am not sure if you guys wanted a carrying case one or just a regular storage box.  I am working with someone to supply these.  Also, we're working on key cap storage boxes.  Everything is being sampled as of now.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 03:04:51 »
Tbh Sherry I came here hoping it would be some sort of case, but after noting the plight I figured I'd make an offer on distributing them. Shipping boxes in boxes always makes me laugh a bit inside though.

I could definitely use either of those though, so I'm excited to see what you've got in the works!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 11:20:16 »
Great, now prices will be doubled for rent.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline litster

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 11:29:42 »
you still renting?  you should have down payment for a house by now.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 12:48:40 »
Last time I checked, doubling the price of me giving them away for free is still free. Don't worry though, for you guys its $50 each box.

Offline litster

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 19:00:11 »
You are so cute. 

I bet next thing you are going to say is you are a business manager and is well versed in econ 101.  Charging people $50 each box would be the only logical thing for you to do.