geekhack Marketplace > Matias

Quiet Pro - Le plus calme au monde

(1/3) > >>

BucklingSpring:
Hey Matias,

As I posted in the other thread. This is related to the French translation on the Mini QP box. 

"Calme" in French is more about sedation/tranquility/relaxation  than noise. Did you do that on purpose?

It sounds like - world's most Zen keyboard

Which is not bad at all... Just different than the English counterpart. 

Matias:

--- Quote from: BucklingSpring on Fri, 09 August 2013, 18:35:25 ---Hey Matias,

As I posted in the other thread. This is related to the French translation on the Mini QP box. 

"Calme" in French is more about sedation/tranquility/relaxation  than noise. Did you do that on purpose?

It sounds like - world's most Zen keyboard

Which is not bad at all... Just different than the English counterpart. 

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I'll pass your comments along to our translator.  Perhaps she was feeling tranquil when she wrote it...  :-)

BucklingSpring:
Ok for the record I just brought my Mini QP at the office and dropped by the translation department with the box.

They did have a good laugh. In a bad kind of way. I turned red and tried to defend my beloved brand. It was a hopeless fight. I ran away crying when they started to stack woods while yelling - Burn the witch!

--- Quote from: Matias on Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:57:21 ---Thanks, I'll pass your comments along to our translator.  Perhaps she was feeling tranquil when she wrote it...  :-)

--- End quote ---

Matias:
Perhaps I won't pass that along...  :-)

BTW, where are your translators from?  Quebec?  France?  Some other place?

Edgar

--- Quote from: BucklingSpring on Wed, 28 August 2013, 19:02:32 ---Ok for the record I just brought my Mini QP at the office and dropped by the translation department with the box.

They did have a good laugh. In a bad kind of way. I turned red and tried to defend my beloved brand. It was a hopeless fight. I ran away crying when they started to stack woods while yelling - Burn the witch!

--- Quote from: Matias on Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:57:21 ---Thanks, I'll pass your comments along to our translator.  Perhaps she was feeling tranquil when she wrote it...  :-)

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

BucklingSpring:
The translator team is a mix bag of French Canadian and French from France.

But it doesn't really matter in this case. Just have a peek at http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/calme

I would bet hard money that your translator is native English.
If you want a good French to English translation - You hire an English person who speaks French.
If you want a good English to French translation - You hire a French person who speaks English.

Otherwise you end up with basic errors that are hard to catch.
Even in English, quiet and calm can be interchangeable when it refers to tranquility but not when quiet means silence.

This exhaust is quiet - Sounds nice. (pun intended)
This exhaust is calm. Sounds as silly as saying this is the most calm keyboard in the world. :-)

Calme in French is exactly the same thing as calm in English.

--- Quote from: Matias on Wed, 28 August 2013, 20:48:40 ---Perhaps I won't pass that along...  :-)

BTW, where are your translators from?  Quebec?  France?  Some other place?

Edgar

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version