Author Topic: Quick review of Ducky 9008G2 Pro with MX Gray!  (Read 6424 times)

Offline Tempest790

Quick review of Ducky 9008G2 Pro with MX Gray!
« on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 17:48:15 »
Yay!

My Cherry MX Gray keyboard came today, and I finally got to give it a test spin.

Well, no surprise here, but these keys are heavy!  I know technically Cherry MX Greens are supposed to be the same 80g weight, but these feel much heavier.  They have a heavy spring that increases resistance as you type down on them.  Great thing though, is that I don't bottom out much anymore.  Plus, the switches actuate about at least the half-way point or slightly higher making touch typing a lot easier.  I've only used this thing a little while now, but my typos have gone way down already.  I have a tendency to miss my key press slightly and partially hit the adjacent key actuating it.  No more with this bad boy.

I wish very much they had a backlit version, but this is for work anyway so no issues there.  I will probably purchase a Ducky Shine III backlit with Black switches for home use.

The keycaps feel nice and sturdy with little wobble and a slightly gritty feeling that grips the fingertip while your pressing down.  Great quality.  No alternate color Escape key is provided, but they do include red WASD keycaps but they are like the ones that come with the Ducky Shine.

Do I recommend it?  It's probably not for most people.  My wife actually learned to type years ago on an old manual typewriter, and she says it feels similar.  Her typing accuracy was much better with this keyboard, so it's definitely good for her.

It's also great not to bottom out the spacebar too.  I think a hybrid black/gray keyboard would be perfect with the outlying keys such as the spacebar being the heavier Gray switch.

I'll give more thoughts after I've used it a few days.

Let me know if you have questions.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Re: Quick review of Ducky 9008G2 Pro with MX Gray!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 18:05:25 »
Sounds pretty awesome! Are you really, really sure that they're heavier than greens? I love my MX Greens, but would love to give greys a shot. This might be my Christmas gift from my wife this year.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 18:16:03 »
I know it may be subjective, but I haven't typed on a full Green MX board.  I do have the Ducky 78 keyboard, and on that keyboard the Grays seem noticeably heavier.  However, that may be how the switch actually works.

Grays ramp up the resistance as you press down until you bottom out which is pretty stiff to me.  The Greens feel heavier near the top to middle and then lose resistance after the click and half-way point.  So, it's possible that they are both technically the same weight while providing a completely different feel each.

If you have Greens, I'd probably say Grays are not beyond you by any means.  Anyone who dies for Reds, Blues, or Browns probably should steer clear.

P.S.  I'm using my Ducky Shine III MX Red to type this and my typos went way up again.  Never thought lighter keys affected my accuracy so much.
P.S.S.  I just ordered my Ducky Shine III with MX Blacks.  My wife just asked me how many keyboards I have now.  "Homina, Homina, Homina."  :-)

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 18:26:09 »
I would love to see how someone types on Cherry Reds after using Cherry Grays for a year.  I'd imagine damaged switches might occur.

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 18:38:22 »
Are these cherry mx grays or dark grays? Also, could you possibly post some pictures or even a typing test?

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 22:08:42 »
Whoa, heavier than Green, this I gotta try.....I love heavier switch types, current fave is Green, Black and Clear. Pity Ducky doesn't make Clears, Whites and Grays on the Shine series. If they do, it'd be a no brainer for me....

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 11:32:43 »
It does sound awesome, I too love heavier switch types.
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 13:45:37 »
I've done a lot of typing on it last night and this morning, but this is even stiffer than I anticipated.  While my typos are down, and I don't bottom out, it just feels ... well, stiff!  Not sure if it'd break in over time although I'm assuming it would.  It's a great touch typing experience, but it feels like the key isn't registering (even though it did).  I know I need to train myself to be a touch typist.

That said, I may just go with Blacks.  If anyone is interested, this keyboard may be going up for sale in the Classifieds soon.  I'll make a decision next week on it after my Ducky Shine with Blacks comes in.

Be prepared though, these switches are stiff.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 18:36:59 »
I've done a lot of typing on it last night and this morning, but this is even stiffer than I anticipated.  While my typos are down, and I don't bottom out, it just feels ... well, stiff!  Not sure if it'd break in over time although I'm assuming it would.  It's a great touch typing experience, but it feels like the key isn't registering (even though it did).  I know I need to train myself to be a touch typist.

That said, I may just go with Blacks.  If anyone is interested, this keyboard may be going up for sale in the Classifieds soon.  I'll make a decision next week on it after my Ducky Shine with Blacks comes in.

Be prepared though, these switches are stiff.

Interesting to see your review of this board, I had an almost identical response.  Bought it for work as well, and it is very... durable.  But it's on the borderline for me, as the switches are almost too heavy.  I'm typing right now on a MX Green board (CM Trigger), and it feels so light in comparison it's not even funny. 

I may end up selling the Grey Pro keyboard as well, but I was thinking that I might swap the switches for MX Whites, as that's one switch I tried and like a lot, but can't find on a production keyboard.   

Thanks for the review!

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 23:43:46 »
I think MX White is probably as close to the perfect switch from Cherry as you're going to get for the most part.  It doesn't have the high pitch click sound that the Blues and Greens have, and the tactile feel seems a bit better than the Clears.  Looking back at my original Ducky 78 review, I've definitely changed some of my opinions on the switches.  There really isn't any comparison to typing on a full board as opposed to a sample set, no matter how hard you try to feel it.

I will say that tactile vs non-tactile isn't as much for me now that I've tried both ways.  I think for touch typists it's probably more important.

I'll probably be on the lookout for a backlit full size Cherry MX White if one ever comes down the pipeline.

Offline Ki Bored

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 19:44:30 »
What kind of grays are these? What keyboard is it?

Also, are they tactile?

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 20:08:07 »
MX Greys, AKA linear Grey switches.  These are stock on the Ducky 9008G2 Pro listed in the thread title.

What kind of grays are these? What keyboard is it?

Also, are they tactile?

Offline mauri

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 10:29:55 »
I think MX White is probably as close to the perfect switch from Cherry as you're going to get for the most part.  It doesn't have the high pitch click sound that the Blues and Greens have, and the tactile feel seems a bit better than the Clears.  Looking back at my original Ducky 78 review, I've definitely changed some of my opinions on the switches.  There really isn't any comparison to typing on a full board as opposed to a sample set, no matter how hard you try to feel it.

I will say that tactile vs non-tactile isn't as much for me now that I've tried both ways.  I think for touch typists it's probably more important.

I'll probably be on the lookout for a backlit full size Cherry MX White if one ever comes down the pipeline.

There should be mx white g2pro model, I think thats the closest you'll get to a full-size board with whites, apart from modding it yourself.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 10:37:04 »
There should be mx white g2pro model, I think thats the closest you'll get to a full-size board with whites, apart from modding it yourself.

I'd be interested in one of these Ducky Pro boards with MX Whites, have you seen them for sale somewhere?

Offline mauri

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 10:40:13 »

I'd be interested in one of these Ducky Pro boards with MX Whites, have you seen them for sale somewhere?

Yeah, but it's iso layout
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS