Author Topic: Questions about GMK keycaps vs others (PBT materials)  (Read 5818 times)

Offline Blehhh

Questions about GMK keycaps vs others (PBT materials)
« on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 04:38:39 »
Hi guys, i just started learning about custom made keyboards, and i want try to build my very first custom keyboard but im still confused about some Keycaps questions.
From what ive read GMK keycaps are the absolute best keycaps currently in the market.
1. What are the absolute best PBT material keycaps that can go against gmk keycaps?
2. PBT keycaps from Enjoypbt and infinitikey from what ive read they are one of the best in PBT keycaps similiar to gmk but GMK are Abs keycaps, are they still not as good as gmk?
3. Does everyone prefer gmk only? what about PBT materials keycaps from the absolute best company out there ( Sorry i dont know which are the best PBT keycaps makers, and would love if you could fill me in)
Thanks in advance and stay safe :)

Offline zslane

Re: Questions about GMK keycaps vs others (PBT materials)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 11:56:13 »
GMK keycaps are definitely top of the line when it comes to cylindrical keycaps. But I hate cylindrical keycaps. So to me, just about any spherical keycap set, whether it is in ABS or PBT, is vastly superior to GMK (or any cylindrical set, for that matter).

If you are open to sphericals, then MT3 (from MassDrop) and SA-P (from Signature Plastics) are probably the top two contenders.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 12:02:25 »
Hi guys, i just started learning about custom made keyboards, and i want try to build my very first custom keyboard but im still confused about some Keycaps questions.
From what ive read GMK keycaps are the absolute best keycaps currently in the market.
1. What are the absolute best PBT material keycaps that can go against gmk keycaps?
2. PBT keycaps from Enjoypbt and infinitikey from what ive read they are one of the best in PBT keycaps similiar to gmk but GMK are Abs keycaps, are they still not as good as gmk?
3. Does everyone prefer gmk only? what about PBT materials keycaps from the absolute best company out there ( Sorry i dont know which are the best PBT keycaps makers, and would love if you could fill me in)
Thanks in advance and stay safe :)

GMKs are not the best keycaps on the market.  They are just ONE of the best.

Good PBT keycaps are right there with GMK...Only somewhat recently have really good Doubleshot PBTs come out...prior to that it was PBT/DyeSub vs Doubleshot ABS.

Of course, the only thing that matters is what YOU like the best...

Offline Blehhh

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 13:00:27 »
Havent tried any of those keycaps to compare what i like best, What are the top brands for pbt double shot keycaps?

Offline DrJackman

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 23:53:31 »
GMK is to ABS as enjoyPBT is to PBT

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 00:01:14 »
GMK is to ABS as enjoyPBT is to PBT

in terms of wide availability yes but epbt is not the best pbt keycaps available

CRP/BSP are probably better
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 00:01:45 »
Havent tried any of those keycaps to compare what i like best, What are the top brands for pbt double shot keycaps?

if you find out let me know

leopold and vortex are the only ones who make em
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Blehhh

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 02:58:11 »
CRP/BSP doesnt have a simple white on black keycaps?
yeah alright if i found out i will let u know, but even though leopold and vortex have really good double pbt keycaps, those keycaps cant be bought seperately right? :(

Offline Riverman

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 11:01:38 »
Vortex keycaps show up from time to time on mechanicalkeyboards.com, but Leopold doesn't seem to sell theirs separately anymore.  They used to, though. 

Tai Hao also makes doubleshot PBT keycaps, and has been for far longer than either Leopold or Vortex, but they seem to get a bad rap around here.  They're fairly thin, on occasion their space bars are a little warped, and they insisted on using a horrible antibiotic coating on their keycaps for way too long, but if you like their color combinations, they're good for the price.  I do wish they'd make a simple white on black set.  They make a white on black doubleshot ABS set that's dirt cheap, but not a PBT version.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 15:28:44 »
The leopold DS PBT keycaps are one of the best stock keycaps out there..the quality is really good....

I prefer GMK from a font standpoint but from a keycap feel/material standpoint, I actually think the Leopolds are better...incredibly solid...great feel.  They also lack different layout support and obviously they only have a select number of colorways..

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 19:14:37 »
It's very subjective. I actually prefer GMK feel over Leopold for most uses, but like Leopold lettering more.

Offline Blehhh

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 04:40:21 »
How does the feel/material of leopold pbt vs gmk keycaps?
How does feeling of leopold pbt vs gmk keycaps? havent tried both so im trying to get a rough idea :S
im currently using Leopold fc660c and Poker II. not sure if those keycaps are any similiar

Offline Rico

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 04:54:18 »
There is also the KAT profile by Keyreative and its flat variant KAM, all in PBT and with a spherical profile.
KAT profile is a shorter version of the SA profile.
They recently provide reverse dyesub keyset witch is great.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 13:39:43 »
How does the feel/material of leopold pbt vs gmk keycaps?
How does feeling of leopold pbt vs gmk keycaps? havent tried both so im trying to get a rough idea :S
im currently using Leopold fc660c and Poker II. not sure if those keycaps are any similiar

GMK are smoother..like finer grit sandpaper compared to Leopold DS PBT which is slightly rougher.  The GMKs look thicker although I haven't measured them side by side..sound wise side by side, GMKs are a bit higher pitched when bottoming out.

I personally like the Leopolds a little better although both are great...but I  prefer the slightly rougher texture and deader sound...