Author Topic: Ever had a hard time adjusting to new keycaps?  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
Ever had a hard time adjusting to new keycaps?
« on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 10:21:57 »
Just put new keycaps on my keyboard at work, and they are a slightly lower profile and have quite a different feel to them then the ones that were on there (unusually high profile ABS to thick PBT).

Now, normally, I can type on anything, and subtle changes do not matter much. But the keyboard I have at work has been used intensively for a long time and has not changed since I purchased it. I feel like my muscle memory is sort of thrown out of whack. I bottom out more and have more accidental keypresses compared to the way it was. Is it all just in my head? It is odd in a sense, because the new keycaps seem more similar to the ones I haev at home. Either way I expect to get used to it within this week.

Anyone experienced something similar?
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 March 2013, 10:34:30 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ever had a hard time adjusting to new keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 10:39:43 »
Yep, the longer you spend on a setup without changing, the harder it is to adjust.  On the other hand, for the past year I've been routinely rotating between different keyboards and profiles and now I feel like my fingers know what's up.  And strangely, I don't think I type any slower than when I used to stick with the same setup. :)

Regardless, it's amazing what a little time will do.  You can get used to typing on skittles if you had to.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 11:03:48 »
I once tried to cushion my keycaps with dead earwigs and duckling bones after getting a set of caps made from compressed long-grain rice grain mixed with ape feces. I will tell you, it certainly takes some getting used to.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 11:47:22 »
Am I the only one who is practically in tears when I have to do any significant amount of work on my laptop?

Besides feeling terrible, I have trouble finding quite a few of the keys.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 13:16:02 »
Am I the only one who is practically in tears when I have to do any significant amount of work on my laptop?

I am in that same boat. Maybe I should get another keyboard.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 13:18:25 »
Not really, if I like a new set, it says. If I don't, they come off and I sell them
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 13:44:33 »

Oh same here. My girlfriend has this 11 inch laptop with an awkward cramped keyboard layout and a horrible keyboard with weird keys without travel. If I had to use it for anything more than 30 minutes, I would probably just hook up a keyboard.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0