Author Topic: Spacebar making some weird noise, need help!  (Read 8096 times)

Offline zorphon

Spacebar making some weird noise, need help!
« on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 23:48:41 »
Hey all, don't know if this is the correct forum for this thread but it seemed the most appropriate.

So basically, I just put on some new PBT keycaps, and being only a 37 set it didn't include the spacebar obviously, but I did get a new cheap ABS one so it'll be a bit before it gets as shiny as the old one. Anyway, the problem is that on the right side of the spacebar, it is making a very weird clicky clacky noise every time the key is pressed, on the right side.

If I press the spacebar on the left half of it, the only audible noise is the thud as the o-ring I installed on it hits the steel backplate. But on the right, there's like a high-pitched clicky noise before the 'thud'.

I really don't know how to describe the sound all that well, all I know is my old spacebar before I put this new one on didn't make this much noise. It's incredibly annoying.

I tried taking it back off and taking a look, but I couldn't see anything that could be the potential cause, so I'm mind blown on how to remedy this clicky noise on my spacebar.

One of the potential causes I concluded to be was that the plastic thing that goes into the spacebar and then loops onto the stabilizer bar doesn't seem to be extremely tight on the spacebar, but I don't know how to fix that without gluing it in. Which would make it so I could never replace it with a new spacebar.

I really am mind blown here, and since both sides are loose on that plastic thing that still doesn't explain why the right side specifically is making the clicky noise.

Last bit of info here: It makes the noise even when I barely press the spacebar, without even putting any pressure on if I just extremely carefully rest my finger on the right side and push down like .5mm/1mm, it makes the click noise.  I don't get it!

Thanks in advance. Sorry that I couldn't really be more descriptive, I don't know how to explain it any better. I'll try to nab a couple pictures if that would help, but I don't know if it would seeing as the problem isn't visually obvious.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Spacebar making some weird noise, need help!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 00:44:09 »
Put a piece of plastic sheet (e.g. sandwich bag) on the stem before you put the stabiliser thingy back in.  A purist might use a bit of teflon tape.

It just sounds like the stabiliser is not in properly on that side.  Do both sides while you have it off.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zorphon

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 00:21:43 »
Put a piece of plastic sheet (e.g. sandwich bag) on the stem before you put the stabiliser thingy back in.  A purist might use a bit of teflon tape.

It just sounds like the stabiliser is not in properly on that side.  Do both sides while you have it off.
I'm a bit confused by what you mean here? Like cut out a tiny piece of plastic on a sandwhich bag and just lay it over what?

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 00:33:25 »

I'm a bit confused by what you mean here? Like cut out a tiny piece of plastic on a sandwhich bag and just lay it over what?

The switch, he's trying to imply that the spacebar is loosely on the switch
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline mauri

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 02:14:05 »
Stem is the white little thing that goes into the + slot in both sides of a spacebar, you put a little piece of plastic bag or teflon tape in between the spacebar hole and the stem, it works as of a glue or seal. Or that's what I gathered.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 17:11:32 »
I cant tell if your stabilizer inserts are;

a. not tight enough (what the plastic bag 'shim' people are suggesting is for [between keycap and insert])

or

b. that it's standard Costar stabilizer 'play' between the stabilizer wire and insert (mech lube helps)

Does it do the same thing on your shift keys? or other stabilized keys?
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 September 2013, 17:14:04 by Lu_e »