Author Topic: Scavenging keycaps advice  (Read 1429 times)

Offline loki993

Scavenging keycaps advice
« on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 08:25:53 »
I apologize if there is a thread on this but I was wondering is there anything in particular to look for when scavenging keycaps and/or keyboards? Ie what keyboards to look for, what keycaps fit what dont. Do they have to me from another mechanical keyboard. I supposes that would be the obvious compatibility.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Scavenging keycaps advice
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:57:37 »
Oh... there is a whole lot you could learn about scavenging keycaps. I suggest that you read a lot of old threads on the forum and articles on the Deskthority wiki. You may also need to learn how to identify existing keyboards to find out what keycaps they have. It can be good to know Cherry article numbers for instance.

Cherry's own keycaps from the G80 series are regarded as the best of the vintage ones, and there are several varieties of materials and printing methods used throughout the years. Other keyboards with Cherry MX-switches can have keycaps of much varying quality. There are also different profiles and looks, so keycaps can't always be mixed.
Not all of the keycaps from Cherry's G80-series will fit most modern factory-made Cherry MX-keyboards. That is why there are aftermarket adapter sets such as "Tsangan" kits or "Moogle" kits. DIY keyboards are often made so that all original Cherry keys can fit.

There are several vintage keyboards that do have rubber dome switches or other mechanical switches than Cherry MX that are more or less compatible. On Cherry G81-series keyboards most keys are the same as on G80 keyboards but not all, and it varies between keycap type and model.
Often, such as with keyboards from BTC, the stabilised keys can be different. There are also cross-shaped stems that look like Cherry MX but are incompatible.

For Alps, there are more types of switches and rubber dome switch keyboards that have Alps-compatible keycaps. The stabilisers can be different, even for the same-sized keys on two all-Alps boards. For Alps, though, almost all keycaps are OEM-profile except for some of Apple's mechanical keyboards with Alps that can have two different profiles.

Heh. This post turned out longer than I intended... There is a lot to know. ;)

BTW, if you do scavenge a board with mechanical switches for its keycaps, please do sell the other parts on the forum if they are any good.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 July 2014, 12:02:19 by Findecanor »

Offline loki993

Re: Scavenging keycaps advice
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 10:40:41 »
For sure on selling the rest if its working, I need to find places around here that may have some though. I wish I could find a decent electronics recycling place as I imagine that would be a gold mine. There was a place when I lived in Colorado that was like that ans it was awesome. I haven't been able to find one here in Michigan.

Lots of good stuff there though. Still though I wonder if I find some random rubber done that seems interesting would the cabs fit. Seems like maybe and maybe not. I suppose if its cheap enough it may be worth a shot.