Author Topic: Quick Layout Question  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
Quick Layout Question
« on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 09:42:00 »
I'm having a real hard time trying to get a GMK set to work with a JD40 layout. If someone could help I'd greatly appreciate the help. Profiling is a priority however.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Quick Layout Question
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 10:03:12 »
My work internet is acting up so I can't find the link for you but hoffmanmyster has a picture with GMK caps on his. I also have GMK caps planned out for my JD40. It's hard to find 1x caps if you didn't get in on CMYK or CMYW.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:17:04 »
Alright thanks, I will try to look for it.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:20:53 »
The 1.25 C row 'caps lock' position key is the most difficult. 1.75 Enter with legend would also be very hard to acquire. They do both exist from Cherry, but only on some very early 1980's made models. Using a 1.75 blank caps lock for enter from an imsto set or something would be easiest. Everything else should be easy to get. It's pretty obvious they didn't take consideration to Cherry/GMK/etc key when they designed that boards key sizes.
If I had one, I would probably grab an ISO 1800/7000 model to get the most correct key sizes at once, then add some 1.25 mods from something else and the blank 1.75 return to make life easier.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:22:30 »
The 1.25 C row 'caps lock' position key is the most difficult. 1.75 Enter with legend would also be very hard to acquire. They do both exist from Cherry, but only on some very early 1980's made models. Using a 1.75 blank caps lock for enter from an imsto set or something would be easiest. Everything else should be easy to get. It's pretty obvious they didn't take consideration to Cherry/GMK/etc key when they designed that boards key sizes.
If I had one, I would probably grab an ISO 1800/7000 model to get the most correct key sizes at once, then add some 1.25 mods from something else and the blank 1.75 return to make life easier.

This reason is why I am using DSA blanks
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:35:40 »
Oh another thing you could do if you have time and a lot of patience is mod a stepped caps lock. I did that to make one fit on a Deck TG3 BL82 which has similar layout issues for using Cherry keycap.

Just go real slow and take your time to cut/file off the stepped part neatly and it looks pretty good.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:39:42 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:53:27 »
There's a speculated group buy and I was thinking of getting it. Unfortunately its cherry profile instead of a uniform one but I want it too much.