Author Topic: Scoops vs. Bars vs. Nipples Discussion Thread  (Read 40037 times)

Offline Giorgio

Re: Scoops vs. Bars vs. Nipples Discussion Thread
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 02:36:01 »
Talk about quoting. Who are you talking to?

The thing is when you allow multiple layout:
-standard ANSI 1.25
- WKL ANSI
- HHKB like
- 75%

you actually add customers because people can actually use the keycaps for their keyboard, and if they end up parting with it or putting it on another board with different layout.

I'm azerty only typist, do I ask for Azerty kits ? No because I know it's not doable. Inb4 only 2 keys.

ps: if you could quote like a regular person that would be more readable.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 02:37:49 »
This kid...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 02:40:23 »
Why do you even put quotes on the bottom
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 02:43:52 »

Because cellphone :-)

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 02:47:28 »
scoops. because cellphone :-]
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 02:47:36 »

But like, how? On tapatalk and just regular mobile browser it defaults to the top of the message

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 02:49:04 »

But like, how? On tapatalk and just regular mobile browser it defaults to the top of the message

I use Safari and have no issue typing at the bottom of a quote and never had....

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 02:51:04 »

I use Safari and have no issue typing at the bottom of a quote and never had....
I mean like the quote defaults to the top. I've never seen any circumstance where this isn't true

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 03:01:01 »

I mean like the quote defaults to the top. I've never seen any circumstance where this isn't true

idd, even on mobile when you quote someone, if you just tap in the reply box and start typing it automatically puts what ever you type under the quote. To put your message above what ever you quoted, you'd have to tap in the box and then make the cursor appear at the very start of the message box... which you can't really do very easily accidentally

Offline Polymer

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 03:06:31 »
Because, in the keyboard world, nearly nobody likes nipples. They are without doubt annoying. I don't think that because we add an option, we should add all the possible options

If we are including bars, then shouldn't we also include nipples to not discrimate?

Scoops>Gateron Scoop/Bar>bars>nipples>apples nipple keys on d and k

Why not?  Isn't your argument for bars that since a minority like bars and cannot get adjusted to scoops that bars should be added as an alternative option in sets as well?  Following that, we should include nibs as an option as well since some people like them.

In the end, it's up to whoever is running to buy to decide.  Personally, I dislike bars and prefer scoops, but bars instead of scoops will not keep me from the set.  The main thing that will keep me from a set is R5 modifiers on the bottom row.  That is intolerable.

I think the number of people used to bars far exceeds that of nipples...but if it was higher than I'd agree.  Personally I'd be fine with nipples rather than bars as well.  For me it is about the shape of the key (although I readily recognize that might not be the case for everyone).  Bars just seems like the most reasonable addition seeing as it is on a majority of other keysets so most people are used to them.

What I don't understand is when people say they dislike bars..what are you doing for all of your keysets that have bars?  So Topre for example, you don't have an option unless you use MX/Topre sliders (which is relatively new) or took blanks from another set and replaced those keys.  So are you using sets you dislike?  If I actually disliked something I wouldn't use it (I wouldn't buy it either). If I PREFERRED one over the other that is something different. 

I think there is a significant difference between the two...For example, Sifo said he doesn't get GMK because he dislikes scoops....whereas I prefer bars and will still get GMK....

I do agree that it is up to the GB organizer though...Ultimately they can decide whatever it is they want...but it seems like there are actually more users on GH that prefer bars than some people probably thought.  I doubt even half this board has GMK keys or has ever tried them, not the very active users but half of the normal members...so scoops isn't even an option for them to prefer. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 August 2015, 03:09:44 by Polymer »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 05:11:12 »
Bars.  Because China.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 05:27:43 »
Bars are easier to find when typing fast and they're less obtrusive than nipples (they're not in the high pressure area of the fingertip like central nipples are, but they are in the contact zone), so they don't break the flow.

So bars for functional reasons, but I love the "static" feel of scoops, especially spherical scoops.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 06:06:51 »
I'll give my opinion on the situation once I get my JT set or my cherry board.

So far, the bars on all the boards I've used has been fine with me. I'm sure scoops will be just fine in the long run, and maybe I'll prefer them.  :)

I haven't felt any nips on GH yet. Anyone want to volunteer some nips for scientific reasons? Cheese being included would be quite nice.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 August 2015, 06:08:45 by Air tree »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 06:10:37 »
I haven't felt any nips on GH yet.

maybe I can be of some assistance ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 07:07:15 »
Would you guys please stop derailing the thread with Giorgio's weird Tapatalk quoting habits?

Make your own thread about it pls, ty.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 07:07:55 »
sorry forum mod

Would you guys please stop derailing the thread with Giorgio's weird Tapatalk quoting habits?

Make your own thread about it pls, ty.

Offline osi

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 07:39:56 »
BARS

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 08:09:56 »
I like the Cherry style scoops, but SP's scooped DSA isn't very good. The scoop isn't pronounced enough for me.

I do like bars as well (more or less equal to scoops for me, but I'd take bars over SP scoops for sure), and I've really been enjoying the Gateron caps with both scoop and bar. Best of both worlds!  ;D

My issue with Cherry/GMK scoops is that they're too subtle for my liking. I've gotten used to them because I like Cherry/GMK caps but I prefer the SA deep dish scoop feeling. Super deep and apparent.

I've always thought that scoop + bar or scoop + dot would be a good compromise. I'm very interested in trying Gateron caps now that I've learned that they've got scoop + bar.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 08:47:35 »
You kids and your peasant MX homing indicators.

My Model F doesn't have homing keys. I don't need them.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 18:09:59 »
I want an entire DSA keyset to be nothing but scoops. They're so lovely. I imagine the feeling would be similar for SA (don't have SA scoops). It would probably feel like my Selectric I, which is so brilliantly amazing to type on.

So, prefer scoops, or just bars. No mixing. Or just go without anything. No nips plz and thx

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 21:07:50 »
I've yet to try anything other than bars or nipples, however out of the two I prefer bars as they're less obstructive in my opinion.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 06:42:23 »
Scoops > Bars > Nips.
Jerue and Vesper have good ideas.
Lurch and Calus are on the money.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 10:01:38 »
I am more of an ass man than a nip man

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 10:41:49 »
Scoops + nipples obviously best option /thread

Show Image

That seems to be a very good combo. I'm used to bars and that's what I prefer, but I dig the option of having scoops if there are nips in them. I have a keyset with scoops only and I have a slightly harder time finding home row than I do with just bars.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 11:50:18 »
For Cherry profile my order of preference is...
deep dish, center dots (like on the numpad 5 on F and J too which is found on Desko and a couple other model), nothing (just like all the other keys in that row which seems to be very common on most of the Cherry typewriters and some older mid 80's keyboards), deep dish and dots (like on most BSP sets), big bars (like on more recent Cherry PBT, or GMK new), deep dish and bars (Gateron sets), tiny bars (Vortex/KBC).
For every other profile I don't give a **** because I won't use it.

As far as GMK, since they have bars now those probably can be included both as long as there are not loads of other additional keys... as every keys do add up to the final cost and it seems once the sets go over $120 it's much harder for people to get behind it. GMK won't do center dots on F J anymore though... I kept trying to get them and they refuse due to something about the way the mold for that key are set up makes too much extra work.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 August 2015, 11:56:54 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 12:27:29 »

...and there it is.

I'm impressed, GeekHack, we made it to post #72 before the first nipple joke!

EDIT: I just re-read page 1. We actually only made it to #2.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 13:11:03 »

...and there it is.

I'm impressed, GeekHack, we made it to post #72 before the first nipple joke!

EDIT: I just re-read page 1. We actually only made it to #2.

Yeah...I was going to say we breached that a long time ago.

Offline Data

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 13:20:01 »
If I had to order them:
1. Bars
2. Nipples
3. Scoops

But I like scoops almost as much as I like bars, so take that as you may.

Offline sdothum

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 22:59:28 »
Till recently, bars -- because that's all recent memory allows. Have a vague recollection of nipples.

But after getting my sets of Gateron Cherry blanks in a recent GB, I discovered I prefer no physically differentiated home keys at all. Instead, I use (in my two tone layout) the modifier key color for the home keys for a quick visual cue for that initial hand placement.

I much prefer the full fat Cherry keycap feel across the keyboard for all my fingers. It just feels better, probably even more so for index fingers :-)
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 15:00:52 by sdothum »
Planck - Cherry Black Silent 62g - Signature SA (Primary driver)
Planck - Gateron Brown - Gateron Cherry PBT
Planck - Zealios Tactile 62g - Gateron Cherry PBT
Planck - Matias Quiet Linear - 3D Printed Steno Keycaps
Out of circulation (Ortho all the way!): Poker 2 (MX Red), Filco Majestouch (MX Blue)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 00:09:18 »
#scooplife

Offline Den441

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 01:05:47 »
I like scoops because of their history. For example, they were used on the original Triumph-Adler and Olivette G80/81s which are my personal favorites.
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 07:08:23 »
In end effect I don't really care, I don't even use homing keys in my style of typing. I like scoops better because they give a clean look to the board. But if I like the profile of the caps, the quality and colorway I wouldn't care less if they are bars/scoops/nipples.
As nubs said, what I really hate are Cherry R5 bottom row. I hate high profile caps, that's why I can't type on SA, I know it's the big hype now but I just can't use them.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 07:24:18 »
I think bars are more intuitive. Never used nipples that I can recall. I like the feel of scoops best over all.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Polymer

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:54:06 »
As far as GMK, since they have bars now those probably can be included both as long as there are not loads of other additional keys... as every keys do add up to the final cost and it seems once the sets go over $120 it's much harder for people to get behind it. GMK won't do center dots on F J anymore though... I kept trying to get them and they refuse due to something about the way the mold for that key are set up makes too much extra work.

At least it is a common option...and looks like some people prefer bars...more than some might've thought...but ultimately whatever the GB leader decides is what it is going to be.

I think the main point is, it is as valid an option as many of the others out there if not more so.  More so than an extra esc key in a different color, for example....but not more than say, ISO or WKL support...

Offline Liar

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 23:55:44 »
Ever since I got the nips on my Galaxy Class, I can't think of going back.  I tried using the scooped key that came on the keypad (I also ordered an additional one), but the scoops were just not pronounced enough.  So I use the scoop keys for my homerow pinkies (A for Jump for the win)

I am interested in trying scoops on a taller profile though, I'm pretty much down for anything

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 10:15:25 »
flat
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 10:17:51 »
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline KHAANNN

Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 12:10:50 »
scoops or death.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 00:11:07 »
scoops or death.

Is that what you got on your realforce?

Offline Bomble

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 00:13:03 »
scoops or death.

Is that what you got on your realforce?

God damn do you know how to let something go?

Offline Polymer

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 00:51:26 »
What is there to let go of?

I'm just curious how people make extreme statements yet their own usage is counter to that.

I'm sure some people have swapped sliders but given that is a recent thing. 

I actually don't mind scoops..I just prefer bars..but the attitude by some is no one likes bars...and that's been proven false...

Offline Bomble

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 01:02:25 »

I'm just curious how people make extreme statements yet their own usage is counter to that.

I actually don't mind scoops..I just prefer bars..but the attitude by some is no one likes bars...and that's been proven false...

I'm not going to bother arguing but all I've seen you post is pointed statements towards Topre/realforce keyboards. Chill man.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 01:25:20 »

I'm not going to bother arguing but all I've seen you post is pointed statements towards Topre/realforce keyboards. Chill man.

What do you mean?  I love Topre boards...and have said so numerous times.  My main boards are Topre and use Cherry for gaming..

The reason I reference Topre boards is all of the keycaps for Topre boards have bars....So when Topre users say Scoops or nothing, it just seems out of place. 

Offline Bomble

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 01:36:53 »

What do you mean?  I love Topre boards...and have said so numerous times.  My main boards are Topre and use Cherry for gaming..

The reason I reference Topre boards is all of the keycaps for Topre boards have bars....So when Topre users say Scoops or nothing, it just seems out of place.

Hm, I guess I thought you were someone else then. Not sure why, sorry man  :-X

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 02:03:23 »

I was getting confused by your posts too. I didn't think any of Polymer's posts were offensive!

Offline Bomble

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 02:19:20 »

I was getting confused by your posts too. I didn't think any of Polymer's posts were offensive!
I swear his name rung a bell though... Was there another thread that he was in where someone else was being irrational in relation to topre/reakforce?

Offline Polymer

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 06:00:18 »
Yeah that was Cheebs...but I'm the one that likes Topre :)

Offline Bomble

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 00:01:28 »
Yeah that was Cheebs...but I'm the one that likes Topre :).

Ahh right, I remember now. Again, really sorry about the mix up man!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 15:12:50 »
I tried scoop, too subtle for me to nice.  Haven't get to try nipple yet.

So bar for me.  And I'm pretty sure 99% of the keyboards use bar for a reason.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden