Author Topic: SA shine?  (Read 2964 times)

Offline AwSmCreator

SA shine?
« on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 04:07:18 »
Hey there!

I finally got my first SA keycap set from another wonderful member here. I ended up getting a  JukeBox set on a  custom board and I am loving it. But I am wondering if these caps get a shine to them or anything else like that?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: SA shine?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 04:30:44 »
My sets (Nuclear Data Green and Hack'd by Geeks) both came pre-shined :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 09:29:51 »
Are you worried about the shine or excited about the shine? :)

Pre-shined? Straight from Ron? Mine have gained a shine over the last couple of years, but they definitely didn't come pre-shined!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 10:49:53 »
They're made of ABS plastic which means they will get shiny with use. They start out semigloss and will get glossier the more you type on them, especially the spacebar where your thumb(s) hit it. No getting around it with ABS.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 11:40:23 »
I look forward to that shine. My only gripe is that appears quite markedly on QWERDF and spacebar before any other of the keys T_T
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 12:05:29 »
They will get shiny over time, but this is something to embrace. Shine on SA keysets makes it look even nicer!

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 13:00:23 »
They will get shiny over time, but this is something to embrace. Shine on SA keysets makes it look even nicer!

Seconded. I wish my mods were shiny :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 05:14:15 »
Are you worried about the shine or excited about the shine? :)

Pre-shined? Straight from Ron? Mine have gained a shine over the last couple of years, but they definitely didn't come pre-shined!

My NDG set was very shiny, but I like it like that.

HbG was fairly shiny too, AFAICR.  Neither set had much, if any, texture to them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline AwSmCreator

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 07:56:22 »
So it sounds like the shine is not the worst thing in the world. I was just worried it would ruin the set and I'd be forever sad :(

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 09:34:43 »
So it sounds like the shine is not the worst thing in the world. I was just worried it would ruin the set and I'd be forever sad :(

With doubleshots you will be fine  :thumb: My Nuclear set looks good with it's shine :D

Offline zslane

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 11:40:38 »

Shine and discoloration is not ruin, it is vintage patina. It is natural, and unavoidable with ABS keycaps unless you put them away in a box and never use them. Some love the vintage patina while others hate it. Whether or not you can tolerate this natural phenomenon is an entirely personal question. How do you feel about it?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 18:48:11 »

With doubleshots you will be fine  :thumb: My Nuclear set looks good with it's shine :D

Exactly :D

I wonder if the original sets on the terminals back in the day were pre-shined, or whether they acquired their shine through over use?

Offline AwSmCreator

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 08:46:15 »
Well you guys have  certainly put the matter to rest for me ^_^ no longer worried about using the key set.