Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1237993 times)

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
Re: [Interest Check] Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #950 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 09:59:05 »
What's the difference between "1. Full Kit" and "6. Full kit + Cases + PCBs"? Is it about assembling?

What kind of case we are voting for atm: aluminium, acryllic, smth else? Or is it still TBD?

They've made a separate poll for the case type. I don't believe this will be a winner-take-all thing, but rather just for them to gauge who wants what so they can shop the orders accordingly. I believe everyone is getting what they want in this case.

The case poll is now really skewed. I'd say it looks about tied between the two if you added all the Dox-Style cases together (maybe small advantage to litster style).

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline bisl

« Reply #951 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 10:27:25 »
I actually asked them to clean up the options on the case poll, since it's unclear whether litster votes are voting for the built-in wrist rest shape, or the acrylic plate design rather than 3d printed case (since litster cases were originally shaped like dox cases). Basically the options available are 3d printed (flat, slant, tent+slant) or acrylic (with/without wrist rest) but the poll doesn't reflect that yet.

Offline BugBuster

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #952 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 12:18:50 »
Does anyone know what could be the price difference between 3D-print vs acrylic case? At least some very rough numbers.
If the difference is actually not that big, then I would vote for 3D-printed with wrist support (which is currently missing in the poll)  - personally don't like transparent cases.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #953 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 12:28:03 »
Acrylic can be painted inside or out for interesting effects.  It's the gloss that kills it, personally.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #954 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 12:45:48 »
Does anyone know what could be the price difference between 3D-print vs acrylic case? At least some very rough numbers.
If the difference is actually not that big, then I would vote for 3D-printed with wrist support (which is currently missing in the poll)  - personally don't like transparent cases.

There are acrylics with absolutely solid colours.

Offline bisl

« Reply #955 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 15:50:02 »
3D-printed with wrist support (which is currently missing in the poll)

It's not a simple combination of features: the project started with case designs that had no wrist rests, and then Litster (while experimenting with acrylic plates) opted to create the wrist rest extension. There are no 3d printing designs that include wrist rests that I'm aware of.

Offline BugBuster

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #956 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 16:37:33 »
It's not a simple combination of features: the project started with case designs that had no wrist rests, and then Litster (while experimenting with acrylic plates) opted to create the wrist rest extension. There are no 3d printing designs that include wrist rests that I'm aware of.

I suspected that this is the case.
But it shouldn't be hard to change the designs for whose who have drawn it in the first place, is it? After all Litster was also cutting it with a machine, so he already has some 3D model. Or is it 2D for the laser cnc? Though together with the wrist rests it gets bigger and thus may not fit that easily into 3D printer.

Anyway I'm actually ok if the acrylic will be cheaper to make and hopefully it will be not transparent.

Offline bisl

« Reply #957 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 09:59:50 »
Hey all--I heard back from the Massdrop guys again today. Right now, it's looking like the Ergodox buy will be ready to go in January, and will probably run for about a month.

Also, because 3D printing doesn't scale well Massdrop will be offering only litster-style cases, although they will offer it with and without the wrist rest. Those that have their hearts set on the dox-style case can go PCB-only for the buy and order one up on their own since the total cost to the buyer would be the same either way.

Finally, I brought the criticism to them concerning their registration wall, and while they sympathized (after all, it's something people don't like), they need to keep it in place to continue doing business with their suppliers, who from what I can tell essentially demand it. However, since there's no brand to keep happy with Ergodox, they've offered to try to make the Ergodox buy public and freely browsable, as a gesture of goodwill.

Hopefully this type of public implementation could be extended to other group buys in the future, for products that aren't simple retail goods (e.g. caps)? Those are my thoughts though, not their suggestion.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #958 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 15:53:06 »
So I'm guessing no one is planning a group buy in the U.S.?
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline TheGrey

« Reply #959 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 16:24:47 »
voted!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #960 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 19:40:09 »
Man how the hell did i miss this, there was even a sticky in the ergonomics section and i still missed it.

I feel like such a noob reading this thread and section of geekhack! I would love to assemble something myself but i usually break something and i am horrible at soldering given my hand tremors.

I've only been able to get through some of the recent pages of this but it seems that getting a assembled version of this in the US would be a bit expensive and just may not be possible at all, correct me if i am wrong....I'm actually unsure how this works i am a complete noob when i comes to this part of geek-hack.

But damn i want one of these really bad, especially after seeing the photos, I kind of miss split design now; i had a Kinesis Freestyle for almost 3 years but i always thought the layout wasn't good and obviously cheap switches that didn't survive my jackhammer touch.

Offline bisl

« Reply #961 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 08:19:07 »

By all means, anyone is free to do so; but practically speaking it hasn't happened, no.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #962 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 09:14:59 »

MassDrop will ship to U.S. if it's used.........

cheers,

Offline ironman31

« Reply #963 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 09:25:36 »
I meant other than massdrop
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Susan1430

« Reply #964 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 09:57:26 »
Bf is interested. He'd probably prefer to give money to someone to handle the assembly than put it together himself.

Offline islisis

« Reply #965 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 11:46:29 »
This board should be _the_ ergonomic board for the masses... extended thumb keys, flat easy to manufacture pcb, even fittable on a notebook, trackpoint version in the works... ...PATENT FREE... I can only dream ;)
Keep up the great work guys, I do hope this is the future, however far it may be!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #966 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 23:54:13 »
Sort of bumping my slightly incoherent drunk post above with a more coherent post

If this interest check is still active/stands I am absolutely interested in either an assembled one directly or paying someone  in the USA to assemble a kit  for me with brown switches or at least partially assemble it and i attempt to complete the assembly with the correct parts.

Other interest (not requirement) is a built in or add on 10-20 degree lateral slope and accompanying wrist rest similar to kinesis freestyle http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/support/freestyle_vip_insert.pdf

I am hesitant to state how much i am willing to pay, i know its not cheap, but I WANT to own this.

Offline haskellelephant

• haskell is everywhere! What are we going to do?
« Reply #967 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 19:43:09 »
It would be really great if all the cables would be detachable (mini usb to the computer, and between the parts of the keyboard). I imagine only connecting the one handed part would be great for gaming.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #968 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 20:35:35 »
It would be really great if all the cables would be detachable (mini usb to the computer, and between the parts of the keyboard). I imagine only connecting the one handed part would be great for gaming.

Can't, the controller is in the right side
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline bisl

« Reply #969 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 20:57:38 »
Can't, the controller is in the right side

If you're a lefty, that's pretty perfect :)

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #970 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 22:46:29 »
It's not completely impossible to move the controller to the left hand side. The Teensy is simple enough to mount inverted. The USB connector is connected through wires which makes it easy to correct for mounting upside down. Bending all the legs of the expander IC over backwards makes it possible to mount it upside down, just like the Teensy. Depending on the case It may also be possible to just put the switches on the "wrong" side.

Offline haskellelephant

• haskell is everywhere! What are we going to do?
« Reply #971 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 15:06:44 »
It's not completely impossible to move the controller to the left hand side. The Teensy is simple enough to mount inverted. The USB connector is connected through wires which makes it easy to correct for mounting upside down. Bending all the legs of the expander IC over backwards makes it possible to mount it upside down, just like the Teensy. Depending on the case It may also be possible to just put the switches on the "wrong" side.

Sounds like a hastle. Since the connectors are in the front I guess it's enough to simply move the right one out of the way, but I wonder if there is ever any reason to just keep the right one connected unless you are a left hand mouse kind of person ( I am left handed but still use the mouse on the right hand).

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #972 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 16:22:32 »
It's not much of a hassle, you only need to bend the expander legs backwards, and perhaps think a bit to get everything hooked up correctly. Everything else fits just fine.

This of course also makes it possible to use the ErgoDox as either a left or right hand only keyboard.

Offline bisl

« Reply #973 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 01:45:55 »
Quote from: litster
there are 4 holes where you could screw in legs like the ones you get with KMACs.

I brought the idea of adding KMAC legs to Massdrop, and they're interested in adding them to the buy; in fact given the scarcity/difficulty of obtaining korean boards, they're planning on a sourcing trip to Korea. I personally don't know where to direct him, but if anyone's got a name or a number I'll certainly pass it along; otherwise I guess I just point him to kbdmania. In any case, the bottom line is that if we can put Massdrop in contact with a supplier, they'll try.

Quote from: litster
What i want to know is how they do quality control with a project like this.

The plan is still that they'll be sending the parts either to individual buyers, or at the buyer's discretion, a designated assembler from the volunteer list collected ages ago. Therefore, in terms of QA, they can't really do anything more than visually inspect the parts on the way through (specifically the cases). I'm sure the guys doing the assembly will give them love they deserve though.

Massdrop emphasized however that they don't want to sound like they'd leave anyone out in the cold--they urge anyone somehow ending up with a bad product to contact them either via email or live chat on their site.

Offline wasabah

« Reply #974 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 21:33:08 »
Hey guys,
I'm totally new to the scene and here on geekhack.org, but I'm really interested in this keyboard.
I was always looking for a keyboard like this to relieve my RSI - and also because it looks cool! :D
If this means that I have to assemble it myself - nice new hobby, right? :)

Unfortunately, I somehow cannot access deskthority.net. (No idea if it's due to the fact that I'm in Japan or maybe some misconfiguration on my employers side. I will try later at home.)
So I'm very thankful for the few but informative updates here!

Anyway, I voted on the massdrop.com poll. As far as I understand, they will start the group buy in January and ship to every country, right?

ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline bisl

« Reply #975 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 09:48:37 »
Anyway, I voted on the massdrop.com poll. As far as I understand, they will start the group buy in January and ship to every country, right?

I believe that's correct!

Offline bisl

« Reply #976 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 11:45:12 »
Massdrop has posted up a blog entry about the Ergodox. Some highlights:

• Start date for the buy
  • Case material options
  • Shipping rates & details
  • Price details

They've also blogged about their terms of service, and improvements they are making to it. Worth a look!
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 January 2013, 18:22:01 by bisl »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #977 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 12:21:25 »
oh man oh man oh man

with this, the phantom, and the GH60; My mind and wallet just exploded.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #978 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 12:23:35 »
They better not run the keyset in ABS and QWERTY!

I vote for custom blank PBT set from IMSTO!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #979 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:25:56 »
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/ergodox-keycap

Vote for blank PBTs in the poll!

Offline seferphier

« Reply #980 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:34:56 »
damn. i want an assembled one!!!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #981 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:36:14 »
There are tons of people who offer assembly services

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #982 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:46:53 »
if i am reading this correctly the key caps will be a separate group buy?

$$$$

Offline bisl

« Reply #983 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:53:08 »

I established with them very early on that you'd be able to ship to an alternate location, so if you have a assembler who will build for you, you should be able to have your equipment sent to him/her instead. However, I believe that's up to us to organize.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #984 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:54:12 »

$$$$

That is correct, go vote in the poll!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #985 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:02:25 »

$$$$

That is correct, go vote in the poll!

I already voted for qwerty when it popped up  :-[ sorry....

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #986 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:03:23 »
oh snap you can change votes

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #987 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:40:25 »

That is true, but no place to look them up directly. Might be a good idea to get an IC going, the number of people who may want assembled could overwhelm a single individual.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #988 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:02:09 »

That is true, but no place to look them up directly. Might be a good idea to get an IC going, the number of people who may want assembled could overwhelm a single individual.

Indeed, you also have to factor in that the Phantom and GH60 assembly services are being planned as well right now with the Phantom services starting sign ups any day now. There will be a queue for assembly services AND parts.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #989 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:30:26 »
There are yet more people that do assembly that aren't working on Phantom/GH60.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #990 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:38:57 »
There are yet more people that do assembly that aren't working on Phantom/GH60.

i know, i'm just saying its something to consider, Prof was originally offering services for the ErgoDox.

Offline wasabah

« Reply #991 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 19:48:25 »
Omg, it's here!!  ;D

I have some questions though about the group buy text:
With the screw based case construction you can experiment with different slants to find what position works best for you. In addition to slant customization, you can also fully customize the keyboard layout and reprogram the teensy board (uses Arduino software) to make the keys trigger whatever functions you desire.

What do they mean by that? As far as I understand the cases available are flat and not slanted, right?

They also say there will be the choice between full hand and classic case.
Full hand case means the one with hand rest?
Which do you think is the more ergonomic choice?

Another question I couldn't find the answer for:
How high (in cm) is the case? On the pictures it looks quite high which might be not really ergonomical.

And last, but not least:
I'm a total switch noob. I only know that I dislike switches that need a lot of force to push.
So I guess maybe the blue switches would be the right choice?

I appreciate your help!
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 January 2013, 19:57:37 by wasabah »
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #992 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 20:36:24 »
Omg, it's here!!  ;D

I have some questions though about the group buy text:
With the screw based case construction you can experiment with different slants to find what position works best for you. In addition to slant customization, you can also fully customize the keyboard layout and reprogram the teensy board (uses Arduino software) to make the keys trigger whatever functions you desire.

What do they mean by that? As far as I understand the cases available are flat and not slanted, right?

They also say there will be the choice between full hand and classic case.
Full hand case means the one with hand rest?
Which do you think is the more ergonomic choice?

Another question I couldn't find the answer for:
How high (in cm) is the case? On the pictures it looks quite high which might be not really ergonomical.

And last, but not least:
I'm a total switch noob. I only know that I dislike switches that need a lot of force to push.
So I guess maybe the blue switches would be the right choice?

I appreciate your help!

1. I do not think they will offer a slant bottom in the group buy but the design could allow for a different bottom with a slant to be made. at least thats how i see it

2. Full hand would be a wrist rest, Is it ergonomic? although i have had plenty people tell me having a wrist rest is not ergonomic but if you look at the other split ergo boards like the kinesis and truly ergonomic they have a rest, i think its a matter of what you are comfortable with; you also have to decide if you think it looks good with that rest  :)), which i don't; ill use my own.

3. That is a good question, they didn't go with the design on ergodox.org, it looks like its the Litster design, so i don't think this information has been made available, maybe the DT thread has something about it

4. i'm a little bit surprised they are not offering browns as part of the group buy, blues are clicky, if you are OK with clicky that is the lighter switch. I'm going to get clears and swap out the springs with a lighter red or brown spring to make "ergo clears". If you are having someone assemble this for you most likely they will offer services for modifying the switches or ordering new switches altogether like browns, greens, and reds.

-----

Man we got to get the word out about this, there seemed to be a lot of interest in this and then it faded it looks like, maybe add something to the subject and OP. I would love to get this cheaper. I know there is some people that don't like massdrop though; ill rolling the dice.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #993 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 20:58:47 »
Browns are not on offer due to availability, no more than that.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #994 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 21:00:31 »
Browns are not on offer due to availability, no more than that.

ah ok

Offline wasabah

« Reply #995 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 21:06:02 »
Thanks for your input.
I also hope we can get some more people to commit. 199$ would be nice! 

After having read your comment about the switches, I read a bit more and it seems that browns might be good for me.
Damn it, why don't they offer them! :)

I confirmed with Massdrop via live chat:
The case is 2.54cm high!
For me, that creates a too steep angle for my wrist joint, so I definitely need a hand rest / the hand rest case.

The live chat guy (Will) said he was writing on the keyboard while chatting with me and had the one with hand rest. Apparently he's still getting used to it and blamed his typos on that. ;)
But he says it feels very natural and is really ergonomical. (With hand rest.)

Also, they are checking about compatibility/availability with the MX browns, and if possible they will update the buy. Apparently it is possible to change your order any time until the countdown is over!

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #996 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 21:18:23 »
1" high is about as tight as you can make it with a layer-cake acrylic case design.  Only way to get it shorter is swapping a layer w/ metal such as aluminum and that'll only get you a little over 1/8"
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline wasabah

« Reply #997 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 21:22:56 »
Ah okay, I see. I didn't know that! :)

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #998 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 21:31:44 »
Yeah if we can get this down to $199, I'll probably get two, one blues and one clears.

Cheers,

Offline bisl

« Reply #999 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 21:36:31 »