Author Topic: [IC] Vortex Filco Case Universal/Phantom Plate Adapters (should fit QFR too)  (Read 8163 times)

Online Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
These would allow you to run flat/universal plates in the Vortex Filco case.
If you already have a QFR in a Vortex case, this should work with it as well.

Currently I'm testing and revising, I made small samples to get the right measurements and they seem to fit good. I'll be desoldering the switches on mine this weekend to change the plate and make sure everything fits how I want. Unfortunately, you will still have to desolder all your switches to swap the plate, there's nothing I can do about that.

I have no idea what they are worth to people, but I think I can get the adapters made and shipped (to the US and EU) for about $15 or less. This won't be a group buy as I can simply make them on an as needed basis, I'm just trying to see if there's any interest before I get too crazy into making them easy to use, and how precision they are.

Update: They work.
Looks stock from the outside. (Note: Case is being stripped for paint)

Please note that these are not just flat strips, they have a (.5mm) lip on them and are designed to hold themselves in place (yes, they need to be that precise).
They are made in multiple parts for several reasons, but trust me, it makes sense from a design and shipping standpoint. You need 9 parts, but I would include 10 to cover bad parts, breakage, etc..
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 July 2013, 19:37:58 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline BliTzKiN

Re: [IC] Vortex Filco Case Universal plate adapters (should fit QFR too)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 11:12:41 »
Let me get this straight. So you're making a backplate for Filco, Vortex and maybe QFR cases? If so I might be interested.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 11:15:12 »
Let me get this straight. So you're making a backplate for Filco, Vortex and maybe QFR cases? If so I might be interested.

She is gathering interest for plate support / plate adapters for Vortex-made aluminum cases, which are made to fit Filcos and QFRs and similar.  Not for backplates for proprietary cases.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Online Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 16:04:49 »
Photoelectric is correct.

Universal plate group buys are common, the problem is that they cannot be used with the Vortex case.

Here is WhiteFireDragon's picture showing the problem...
The bottom plate is the stock Filco, you can clearly see the bent edges, the Vortex case uses those edges to clamp the plate in place.
The top plate shown is a flat universal plate, which lacks the bent edges, and therefore unusable in the Vortex case without some sort of adapter. It's for the adapter that I'm trying to gauge interest.

Photo by WhiteFireDragon, from here.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 July 2013, 16:08:10 by Leslieann »
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline pasph

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 16:29:44 »
Great idea to adapt also the Phantom to Vortex case
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Online Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 19:36:06 »
Updated first post.
They work, and pics included.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
So you got your 3d printer working now. I'll grab a set of these when you make them available.

I don't see a huge interest on these though. It eliminates everyone that doesn't have a Vortex case AND custom plate.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Interested.

Online Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
So you got your 3d printer working now. I'll grab a set of these when you make them available.

I don't see a huge interest on these though. It eliminates everyone that doesn't have a Vortex case AND custom plate.

I didn't expect a lot, which is why I went with an interest check first, however, this may spur some fresh interest in the case and plates.

The plastic shrank a bit when making these, I didn't compensate on purpose, as such, they fit a tad loose but worked great regardless. I want to run a second set with compensation for shrinkage before I call them done. I should have some ready to ship early or later this week.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
Looks very interesting
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
I wish I had a blue or red Vortex case to fit these into =/
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline t2russo

In for two sets if you do it.

Offline ___q

I thought the stock QFR plate already had the right angles on the edges like the Filco does?

Online Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
I thought the stock QFR plate already had the right angles on the edges like the Filco does?
I think it does, but this is about NOT using the stock plate. So a QFR owner could use these and a universal plate to mount a QFR into the Vortex case.

Theoretically, this opens up a bunch of boards to be used.
Since it no longer relies on the plate for mounting, any other TKL board with the right measurements could now be used. For example, if a Ducky TKL PCB was similar in size to the Filco PCB, a universal plate and adapters would allow for a Ducky to fit the Vortex. This could get interesting.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 July 2013, 15:46:00 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline ___q

I think it does, but this is about NOT using the stock plate. So a QFR owner could use these and a universal plate to mount a QFR into the Vortex case.

Theoretically, this opens up a bunch of boards to be used.
Since it no longer relies on the plate for mounting, any other TKL board with the right measurements could now be used. For example, if a Ducky TKL PCB was similar in size to the Filco PCB, a universal plate and adapters would allow for a Ducky to fit the Vortex. This could get interesting.

Ahh, ok.  I misread the original comment as "this will work if you use a filco with a custom plate, as well as if you use a (stock) QFR", hence the confusion.

Thanks for the clarification!
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 July 2013, 16:04:22 by ___q »

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
Will this keep out humidity from reaching the pcb? (airtight)?
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Online Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
You can't make it airtight as your keys would create pressure when you pressed them, also, there's no way to realistically make it airtight even if you wanted to. The sides of the case would bow under any sort of serious sealing, then there is the fact that the cord exits out the back is through a gaping hole, and of course you have the keys themselves which have to move.

Is there a reason you want it sealed?

Mmmmm fresh paint... (Evo potato cam)
Oh, and while the block off plate (awesomely) snaps into place and looks okay from this angle, it's not quite ready for prime time.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 July 2013, 04:49:36 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Online Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Closed
Moving to production soon.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Online Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More