Author Topic: Dell U3415W - Anyone have any feelings to share, thinking of getting one  (Read 4513 times)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
Hi all, so I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a Dell U3415W, I decided that 3440x1440 is the res for me, don't like dual screen bezels but I would like the productivity benefits, not to mention gaming and movies should be pretty awesome. Anyone got one or have anything to share before I lay down the cash? :)

The dell is the only remotely reasonable Ultrawide option available to me here in South Africa.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Dell U3415W - Anyone have any feelings to share, thinking of getting one
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 04:59:45 »
This one also caught my eyes, but the lack of sRGB is somehow disturbing
Also I've heard a lot about backlight bleed or uninformity of the color around the corner

However I think it's still a good monitor, do you have LG as an option?

A friend of mine is currently using the Dell, he's pretty satisfied (Raymogi)
But I just love LG more

no love for 4k?
I've just pulled the trigger for LG 27MU67-B
4k, IPS, 99% sRGB, Freesync, less than $1k, 27"
perfect for me
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 05:16:30 »
I've heard the colour on the dell is actually quite phenomenal and still recommended as a pro monitor but it did worry me as well. Apparently the bit of backlight bleed that some people have is a non issue as it's almost never noticeable when in actual use. The LG was my other option but it's quite a bit more here and seems to be pretty much on par with the Dell, Dell also offers a better warranty.

I was all about 4k for the longest while but eventually decided against it mainly for these reasons - I wanted more resolution and apparently 27inch 4k you pretty much have to scale up so you don't really get that benefit (maybe you can comment?) and also in terms of pure number of pixels, I don't have the GPU grunt to drive games at 4k at the quality I would like. I just got a R390 and apparently it will do a great job on an Ultrawide 1440. Finally I really like the idea of having more horizontal room to work, basically almost having a dual screen setup without the bezel. 27inch 4k is ironically much cheaper here, I can get one at almost half the price which does suck a little :) As a matter of interest my current monitor is a Samsung 26inch 16:10, colour is horrific on it these days.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 05:43:29 »
Yes I can tell you that you do have to upscale with 27" 4k and won't get the full benefit of it
But one concern which people have to really think about is the space you have between your eyes and monitor. I already have a pretty ****ed up eyes, and from my experience with the space I have a 27" really is the sweetest spot. I was also planning to get a 34", but again with that amount of space I'm pretty sure my eyes will get tired easily to move from corner to corner of a 34"

This is mainly the reason why I go with 4k 27", I personally believe that 4k is the future. But I won't deny that 34" will really improve you productivity I will surely use it in my office one day
But at home I mainly browsing, youtubing and games
upscaling while browsing won't be a problem, some youtube content is already 4k and surely 4k gaming isn't bad either\
besides I don't like the idea of having black bars while watching youtube or some aspect ration movie on a 3440x1440

again, it's personal taste regarding size and resolutions
but you get to choose good product, value for money and good warranty for each option

at first I wanna get Acer x34, but that price is just non-sense since I've other better priorities to shop

with that said, you won't go wrong with that U3415w :)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 05:49:15 »
Ah I see makes sense, as you say it's definitely a personal choice. I'm hoping my eyes won't take strain but it is an interesting problem, I plan on getting an arm and my desk is quite large so hoping that will take care of any issues. Spoke to Raymogi and he gave it a pretty stellar review so I think I am gonna start budgeting for it :)

Thanks for the help.

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:10:20 »
I have the Dell U2715 and it is AMAZING. Love the resolution, great size, beautiful screen and very accurate colors.

Razer | HHKB | Pok3r | GON

Offline shibataken

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 07:23:00 »
Are you a light gamer because to push that many pixels requires quite the beefy rig.  Also no freesync/gsync technology.  For movies IPS+curved is a dream though :D

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 07:45:36 »
Are you a light gamer because to push that many pixels requires quite the beefy rig.  Also no freesync/gsync technology.  For movies IPS+curved is a dream though :D

I do some gaming but don't have the kind of time I used to. Just bought a new GPU with the assumption I would be pushing no more then 1440p (if I wanted to run things on high). I am not convinced that freesync/gsync is at all necessary, just never really had that many issues and if I do I just turn vsync on.... I've read the write ups etc. but yeah I feel it's more marketing then anything else. Never played on a monitor with more then a 60Hz refresh rate so that could be part of it as well.

I do quite a bit of graphics work and general productivity stuff though so I'm thinking the ultrawide +great colours will be really nice for that.  And of course the occasional movie should be pretty awesome.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 08:14:34 »
I moved from a Dell 24" to a Dell 21" and I have not regretted it one bit. 24" is just too big for anything and I don't understand why people find it use-able at 27" and now this! 34" ?!

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 08:44:53 »
I moved from a Dell 24" to a Dell 21" and I have not regretted it one bit. 24" is just too big for anything and I don't understand why people find it use-able at 27" and now this! 34" ?!

I can't tell if you are joking... seriously 24inch too large?!? Also the 34inch size is very misleading, because it's ultrawide and measurements are made diagonally it's really not that big. (Useful website for making comparisons: http://displaywars.com/27-inch-16x10-vs-34-inch-21x9)

I find once you start to hit 30+inch 16:9 and bigger it starts to get a little difficult since you have to move your head from side to side (depending on how far away from you it is of course) but don't see how 24inch could be too big?

Offline shibataken

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 09:11:44 »

I do some gaming but don't have the kind of time I used to. Just bought a new GPU with the assumption I would be pushing no more then 1440p (if I wanted to run things on high). I am not convinced that freesync/gsync is at all necessary, just never really had that many issues and if I do I just turn vsync on.... I've read the write ups etc. but yeah I feel it's more marketing then anything else. Never played on a monitor with more then a 60Hz refresh rate so that could be part of it as well.

I do quite a bit of graphics work and general productivity stuff though so I'm thinking the ultrawide +great colours will be really nice for that.  And of course the occasional movie should be pretty awesome.

Yea you kinda have to see the monitors with g-sync/freesync in person to get a good idea how it will affect you.  When I was researching, I would buy one and just returned it to see how it performed on my rig.  I moved to 1440p/144hz and it was like night and day but even gaming at 60 hz on a widescreen will be a joy.  Imagine Witcher 3 on an ultra wide IPS :D I play mainly single player games these days anyways XD  Productivity-wise my ultra wide coupled with windows 10 snapping feature is so helpful when needing multiple programs open.  Oh and in premiere pro it is a god send for the timeline.  Best of luck in your purchase!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 09:49:02 »
Nope, not joking. I had the 24” when the biggest LCD was a 24”. While I enjoyed it initially, after 5 years I can’t stand it primarily because the fonts are too small. I pushed it quite far away from me because of the size and I had to make fonts adjustment all the time. When I moved the monitor near me, 24” is just gigantic. Hated it and was glad when it decided to die. The 21” is god sent.

Anyway, in a world of 27” and 30” and what not, I can understand your disbelieve but I think there are many people who still prefers 21”  Why do you think Apple is still selling 21” iMac?

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 09:59:58 »
Nope, not joking. I had the 24” when the biggest LCD was a 24”. While I enjoyed it initially, after 5 years I can’t stand it primarily because the fonts are too small. I pushed it quite far away from me because of the size and I had to make fonts adjustment all the time. When I moved the monitor near me, 24” is just gigantic. Hated it and was glad when it decided to die. The 21” is god sent.

Anyway, in a world of 27” and 30” and what not, I can understand your disbelieve but I think there are many people who still prefers 21”  Why do you think Apple is still selling 21” iMac?

Oh I see that is the reason I decided against a 27inch 4k, I want to make use of the extra resolution and at 4k you have to scale it so you can actually read things which kinda puts you back at square one in terms of resolution and actual usable area. What was the resolution on your old 24inch?

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 17:26:59 »
Show Image

CPTBadAss <3 <3 <3 <3

Lemme see those shoes on feet!

Oh I see that is the reason I decided against a 27inch 4k, I want to make use of the extra resolution and at 4k you have to scale it so you can actually read things which kinda puts you back at square one in terms of resolution and actual usable area. What was the resolution on your old 24inch?

I'm watching 4k youtube on my 27" 4k
It blew my pants off...
:D :D :D

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 02:02:56 »
I'm watching 4k youtube on my 27" 4k
It blew my pants off...
:D :D :D

Haha no doubt, quality is a whole other story! I'm thinking 4k TV in the future ;)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 02:12:42 »
As far as I know the nicest current Dell displays by far are P2415Q and UP2715K. ~200 pixels/inch blows all the 100–120 ppi displays out of the water. Once you’ve tried either of those, assuming you have decent vision, the U3415 is going to look pretty blurry/pixely.

24" 4K is IMO nicer than 27"+ 4K. ~22" 4K would be even nicer, but I don’t think Dell sells any such. 27" 5K is amazing for anyone who can afford it.

On US Amazon, the P2415Q is down to $420 shipped. That’s a steal IMO. http://amzn.com/B00OKSFXZU/
UP2715K is still $1,640: http://amzn.com/B00OKSFXZU/

It really depends what you want to do with it, though. I edit photos, work with dense data graphics, and like putting lots of sharp text on the screen so I can have as much context as possible when writing code, so I care about small pixels and color accuracy, but don’t really care much about refresh rate. You might care more about latency, refresh rate, or absolute screen size, if you e.g. want to watch movies from 20 feet away, or play some fast-twitch shooter game.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 November 2015, 02:34:43 by jacobolus »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 02:26:30 »
Why do you think Apple is still selling 21” iMac?
Because it’s a cheaper entry-level model, and offering more price points helps them segment the market and capture more profit.

The screens on both retina iMacs are amazing though.

Offline GuilleAcoustic

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 03:27:52 »
been thinking about an ultrawide screen but couldn't afford the 3440x1440 34". 2560x1080 29" are affordable but not much vertical space. 2560x1080 34" are affordable but pixel density ... meh.

I finally bought an Asus PB258QB. At 460 euros it is a very nice monitor, 25 inches / 100% sRGB / IPS / 2560x1440 / vertical + swivel + rotation adjustment. It's only drawback IMHO is that it has no USB ports.

Review: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/ASUS-PB258Q-Frameless-25-inch-WQHD-IPS-Monitor-Review

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 03:51:34 »
been thinking about an ultrawide screen but couldn't afford the 3440x1440 34". 2560x1080 29" are affordable but not much vertical space. 2560x1080 34" are affordable but pixel density ... meh.

I finally bought an Asus PB258QB. At 460 euros it is a very nice monitor, 25 inches / 100% sRGB / IPS / 2560x1440 / vertical + swivel + rotation adjustment. It's only drawback IMHO is that it has no USB ports.

Review: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/ASUS-PB258Q-Frameless-25-inch-WQHD-IPS-Monitor-Review

Think you made the right choice, I have heard very bad things about smaller ultrawides that are less then 1440p.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 05:44:38 »
jokrik kept luring me to buying a 4K screen and I was so close to buying it. But the thought of ultrawide screen is just too good to let go. I'm sticking with my Dell for now and will wait for 4K ultrawide in the near future.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 00:18:07 »
Ordered :) Will post a some thoughts when it arrives.