Author Topic: Best VPN Service to improve latency from US to EU?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Best VPN Service to improve latency from US to EU?
« on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 10:33:31 »
Anyone here have personal experience with a VPN Service that specifically reduces latency from the US to EU? Which one do you recommend? I did a quick search and there are so many, not sure where to start. Paid or Free, either is fine. Thanks.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 10:52:00 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2015, 10:55:48 by esoomenona »

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
Re: Best VPN Service to improve latency from US to EU?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 10:54:45 »
Does that even make sense as being possible? It just sounds like it introduces at least one more connection in between you and the end user, thus increasing latency overall.

It could fix bad routing paths, but that's about it.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 10:59:20 »
Does that even make sense as being possible? It just sounds like it introduces at least one more connection in between you and the end user, thus increasing latency overall.

The traffic in the VPN tunnel would be encrypted so yes, there would be less bandwidth due to that. But the bandwidth really isn't the issue, its more about the actual time it takes for my packets to reach the destination and there isn't a need for high bandwidth. If the VPN routes through a different path then lets say "Comcast Internet" to the same server, it might be possible that the number of hops could be reduced depending on where the VPN Servers are hosted and which ISP they connect to. I'm guessing this is how these "gaming" vpn services work, like WTFast, etc.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 11:29:29 »

The traffic in the VPN tunnel would be encrypted so yes, there would be less bandwidth due to that. But the bandwidth really isn't the issue, its more about the actual time it takes for my packets to reach the destination and there isn't a need for high bandwidth. If the VPN routes through a different path then lets say "Comcast Internet" to the same server, it might be possible that the number of hops could be reduced depending on where the VPN Servers are hosted and which ISP they connect to. I'm guessing this is how these "gaming" vpn services work, like WTFast, etc.

yup..  it's possible  but NOT AT ALL LOCATIONS..

so if you're shopping for one..  make sure they have a money back guarantee,  or a free trial..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 11:34:24 »

yup..  it's possible  but NOT AT ALL LOCATIONS..

so if you're shopping for one..  make sure they have a money back guarantee,  or a free trial..

Thanks, yea, I'm looking at Pingzapper right now, they have a 30 minute trial or something..