Author Topic: Share your weird KLE layouts!  (Read 7049 times)

Offline Cedific

Share your weird KLE layouts!
« on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 05:59:03 »
Am I the only one that constantly messes in Keyboard Layout Editor to find the perfect layout? If not, share yours!

Here is the one I'm currently tinkering with: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/f02837dc04c7bc4c9b555a489e53db63. (Front legends are the Fn combos)

Offline Gampela

Re: Share your weird KLE layouts!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 14:16:22 »
I definitely play with Keyboard Layout Editor from time to time. This is what I came up with that I think would be the most ideal for me: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/80d54effffcde7d0585b4a884825aa28

I'm right handed so left handed numpad only makes sense. Nav cluster is redundant since we already have numpad. Pretty much standard keycaps. Fn would work as a press-and-hold numlock so you can jump quickly between number and navigation keys with you left thumb.

Variation with an additional top row key. Might get a bit too cramped, dunno. Don't mind my Ansi Nordic legends: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/2f3c6fe5b8c3638b414f6a8dcba0a59e

Offline Cedific

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 12:52:54 »
I definitely play with Keyboard Layout Editor from time to time. This is what I came up with that I think would be the most ideal for me: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/80d54effffcde7d0585b4a884825aa28

I'm right handed so left handed numpad only makes sense. Nav cluster is redundant since we already have numpad. Pretty much standard keycaps. Fn would work as a press-and-hold numlock so you can jump quickly between number and navigation keys with you left thumb.

Variation with an additional top row key. Might get a bit too cramped, dunno. Don't mind my Ansi Nordic legends: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/2f3c6fe5b8c3638b414f6a8dcba0a59e

Looks great, numpad on left seems to be a trend lately but for me it would take a lot of unlearning. Nav cluster is indeed theoretically redundant, but arrow key placement in a t-shape rather than cross feels more efficient, less finger movement. And I see you also removed the caps lock - honestly why is that still even a thing in mainstream keyboards? I feel like its only purpose is to make you type passwords incorrectly on accident.

Offline Gampela

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 14:38:13 »
Looks great, numpad on left seems to be a trend lately but for me it would take a lot of unlearning. Nav cluster is indeed theoretically redundant, but arrow key placement in a t-shape rather than cross feels more efficient, less finger movement.

Yeaah, if I ever get myself to actually put this layout into action numpad5 would probably end up working as a down arrow alongside numpad2, too used to that t-shape movement.

And I see you also removed the caps lock - honestly why is that still even a thing in mainstream keyboards? I feel like its only purpose is to make you type passwords incorrectly on accident.

Preach it. I hate that thing and it's like in the most reachable position to accidentally press.

Offline theNestruo

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 11:38:25 »
Looks great, numpad on left seems to be a trend lately but for me it would take a lot of unlearning. Nav cluster is indeed theoretically redundant, but arrow key placement in a t-shape rather than cross feels more efficient, less finger movement.
Yeaah, if I ever get myself to actually put this layout into action numpad5 would probably end up working as a down arrow alongside numpad2, too used to that t-shape movement.
I have never understood the redundant (and weirdly distributed) navigation cluster when NumLk is off... when a standard navigation cluster is possible by simply splitting the 0/Ins key: A better numpad

Anyway... I was expecting much more weird layouts actually :D So here is mine!
An EM7/BMEK/Alice/Arisu-based TKL

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 13:18:39 »
I have never understood the redundant (and weirdly distributed) navigation cluster when NumLk is off... when a standard navigation cluster is possible by simply splitting the 0/Ins key: A better numpad

Anyway... I was expecting much more weird layouts actually :D So here is mine!
An EM7/BMEK/Alice/Arisu-based TKL

Coolermaster did this with their Masterkeys Pro M KB.

I haven't seen it on any custom boards yet though, definitely a smart way to save some space while keeping as many keys as possible.

Offline theNestruo

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 15:36:43 »
Coolermaster did this with their Masterkeys Pro M KB.
I haven't seen it on any custom boards yet though, definitely a smart way to save some space while keeping as many keys as possible.
Definitely a great improvement, but not perfect: navigation cluster is displaced one row down. My aim was to keep all the keys of the cluster in their "standard" places, so both heavy navigation cluster users and numpad users can transition to this kind of keyboard. Particularly, it would be a lifechanger in big (15.6"/17") laptops (they would be actually usable!) :D

Offline blindneo

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 October 2021, 06:16:39 »
All the links in above posts are invalid now, could anyone share it again?