Author Topic: Steampunk Apple Extended Keyboard II?  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Bromie

Steampunk Apple Extended Keyboard II?
« on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 10:58:34 »
I have just got one of these keyboards to turn into a typewriter-style steampunk 'board, but was wondering something:

What does the thin black sheet underneath the keyboard do? I mean the one that's black on one side and silver on the other.

If i assembled the keyboard without this would the keyboard still work properly? Also, there's a little metal pad on the sheet that connects with some wide wire traces on the keyboard. I'm not really sure what this does so was hoping someone would be able to help me here.

Thanks,

Dan.

Offline kps

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 11:31:41 »
RF shielding. It'll almost certainly be fine without it.

Offline Bromie

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 12:02:08 »
Ah, thank you. Didn't know whether the contact between the two affected to working of the kb.

Thanks again!

Offline Bromie

Apple Extended Keyboard II ADB ports - swapping sides?
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 20:45:49 »
Just wondering now, is it possible to switch the ADB ports? I mean can i place a right facing port on the left hand side (to make it easier to fit when put into it's new frame), and vice-versa?

I've looked at both sides in detail, but can't work out whether the connections are soldered symmetrically or identically. Also, i've semi-disassembled the connection on the pcb, but can't work out how to remove the ribbon cable out of it's connector block (as far as i can tell the wires are 'grabbed' when inserted). The only disassembly method i've seen on the internet concerns desoldering and swapping the metal body of the port itself, leaving the connections attached to the main body of the keyboard.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this?

Thanks again for your help kps.

Dan.

Offline 3one5

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 22:02:50 »
Quote from: Bromie;315046
Just wondering now, is it possible to switch the ADB ports? I mean can i place a right facing port on the left hand side (to make it easier to fit when put into it's new frame), and vice-versa?

I've looked at both sides in detail, but can't work out whether the connections are soldered symmetrically or identically. Also, i've semi-disassembled the connection on the pcb, but can't work out how to remove the ribbon cable out of it's connector block (as far as i can tell the wires are 'grabbed' when inserted). The only disassembly method i've seen on the internet concerns desoldering and swapping the metal body of the port itself, leaving the connections attached to the main body of the keyboard.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this?

Thanks again for your help kps.

Dan.

Odd, I guess I'm not super familiar with the board you are working with but usually ribbon cables are held in by a deal that gets pushed down after the cable is inserted.  You just pull up on both sides of the connector and the cable is released.

Offline Bromie

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 22:07:47 »
Yeah, there's a little piece that clips off the top of the connector, but i can't work out how to remove the wires from the block after that. I don't want to pull too hard in case i rip something off, but the wires seem pretty well attached.

Offline 3one5

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 22:17:06 »
Quote from: Bromie;315072
Yeah, there's a little piece that clips off the top of the connector, but i can't work out how to remove the wires from the block after that. I don't want to pull too hard in case i rip something off, but the wires seem pretty well attached.

Sometimes that clip feels like it's all the way up but it comes up more.  You may want to rock the cable back and forth (end to end) and see if it moves.