Author Topic: Realforce Uniform 30g ANSI  (Read 5989 times)

Offline Bongoojingie

Realforce Uniform 30g ANSI
« on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 19:53:39 »
Don't have anything in terms of actual content, but I have 2 Realforce Uniform 30g coming in from Japan ($117 shipping from Rakuten :(  Ouch!) and a Realforce 87U variable and by the end of this project will have a Realforce 87U in uniform 30g.

Update 1:
 So the 30g Topre boards have arrived from Japan.  Quicker than I expected them too.  But I guess for the shipping cost, it had better be quick!  Now to wait for my 87U to arrive, and then time to cut rubber!  The Topre 30g boards I got a 108 key.  They were the cheapest 30g boards I could find, and the extra keys are only useful in this case.  I had almost forgotten how large full sized boards are compared to the tenkeyless I've been using so much recently.  It's probably 3 times the surface area of my HHKB.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 33760[/ATTACH]

Update 2:
My first 87U Variable arrived today so I jumped right into the work.  I started with opening up the 108 board first.  Figured this was my first time cracking open a Realforce, I should do it on the donor board first.  

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 34075[/ATTACH]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 34076[/ATTACH]

Was happy to find the cable detaches very easily.  Just a plug and a single screw and the PCB+Plate combo are loose.  

Then come all the screws.  There are soooo many screws.  This is the pile from just the 108.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 34077[/ATTACH]

Luckily the wholes are marked for which whole is a dark screw or a silver screw.  The dark screws have an area of no thread towards the head of the screw while the silver ones are threaded the entire way.  

I used a couple of cubes as a makeshift stand to keep the plate floating in the air upside down so all the switch casings were out.  

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 34082[/ATTACH]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 34079[/ATTACH]

I used a cutting board and an X-acto knife to cut my cup rubber.  The 108 didn't have LEDs in the switches for caps lock, etc., so I had to cut new wholes for those.  

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 34083[/ATTACH]

And then I laid the springs in the rubber domes.  

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 34084[/ATTACH]

Ooh shiny.  And that's all for tonight!  Tomorrow I put the PCB on face down, put all the screws back in and hope for the best.  This one was pretty easy, as I just stole the sheet from the 108 board.  However, I verified the 30/35g keys on a Topre Variable match my Uniform 30g (via Ripometer) which is what I was hoping for.  Since there are 17 30g keys on a variable, I need to replace 70 switches.  The two 108 boards total 216, which means I can do 3 boards, for only 2 donors.  The last one is going to be the worst, since I won't have a sheet to use, and will be using individual rubber domes for pretty much the entire board.  I should have 2 87U anniversary edition coming shortly, to complete the mod.  Now the only question is, which one do I keep, the black or an anniversary?!

Update 3:

So from the picture above, I layed the PCB down on top.  I double checked all the springs to make sure I didn't have 2 in any rubber dome because the springs stick together quite easily.  I put in all the silver screws first, since there were less of them, and flipped the board over.  Everything looked straight and smug so I put it all back together and I'm typing on it now!  It feels greats and I'm finally not spamming typos because of the weird Japanese layout!  I realize I didn't take any pictures in my excitement to put it all back together, but good news for anybody reading this is that I have 2 more of these to do and so I can get pictures then!
Realforce 87U Black Uniform 30g | Filco TKL Black Ergo Clear | Filco TKL White Ergo Clear | Filco TKL Linear R Limited | Custom Dell AT102W w/ White ALPS | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | TypeNow Solid Blues | SteelSeries 7G

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 23:57:10 »
This going to be crazy light, forget about resting your hand on the home row :p
Keyboardless

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 21:21:52 »
Unique mod idea...looking forward to seeing how it turns out...

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 00:21:18 »
Sounds promising.
I'm in the same boat, but my plan is HHKB 30g. I got a Realforce 106s the other day and waiting for modding now.
I'm happy on my HHKB with variable weighted now, but 30g still is a fun thing :)

Offline Bongoojingie

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 21:28:35 »
I quite like the feel of the uniform 30g on the 108 board.  It's less tactile than the 45g, but feels so smooth for my sissy hands.
Realforce 87U Black Uniform 30g | Filco TKL Black Ergo Clear | Filco TKL White Ergo Clear | Filco TKL Linear R Limited | Custom Dell AT102W w/ White ALPS | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | TypeNow Solid Blues | SteelSeries 7G