Author Topic: My modded Razer 'White'widow Tourney Edition  (Read 21314 times)

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
My modded Razer 'White'widow Tourney Edition
« on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 15:23:31 »
Heyya Geekhack!

So the moment I stumbled across these forums few weeks ago, I knew that there had to be change done to my keyboard!

Now the stock razer keyboard (picture below) I thought looked... Plain. So after a white paint job, brand new keycaps, changed green razer LED to blue added LED to escape button my creation is finally complete!

What it looked like before...

After

Matches my setup much better now!

Just showing off the keycaps (love them)

My 1950 Underwood Typewriter now has a friend  :p :p

So after a few stressful days, and several freak outs I can safely say that it's finally done... For now. Might fix up the paint job maybe in the future :)

Now to find myself one of those pesky CC's or brocap! :P

Thank you for looking, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask :)

Edit: Thank you so much for the kind words everyone, I love to hear your opinion!

-Rapid.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2013, 13:46:47 by Rapid »
Razer 'White'widow [Blue MX Switch]
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39342.0

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Re: My modded Razer 'White'widow Tourney Edition
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 15:25:28 »
Not only does it match your setup, it looks 10x better than stock :P

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 15:32:57 »
Not only does it match your setup, it looks 10x better than stock :P

Haha thanks mate :) I definitely agree! The stock keys were killing me, never seen such a bad font on keys before

Offline poxeclipse

• Hit me with music ... yes, me friend
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 15:43:27 »
It looks great, man. Are you coming to our Toronto meeting ?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38206.0

Offline Jupiter

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 15:47:12 »
Wow cool stuff! Doesn't even look like a Razer product anymore - Nick work! Hahaha
(Going to be) building Phantom - Red MDPC / White Heatshrink Pexon Cable - WoR/RoW Klaxon - Shiny Titanium Spacebar - Titanium Zerg key

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 15:48:42 »
Looks beast, real good job.

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 16:38:44 »
Wow cool stuff! Doesn't even look like a Razer product anymore - Nick work! Hahaha

Hah yeah I'm glad that it came out well :) Thank you for the kind words

It looks great, man. Are you coming to our Toronto meeting ?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38206.0

Yeah I'm definitely considering it! Sounds like it could be fun :)

Looks beast, real good job.

Thanks Dgsbllx I appreciate it  ^-^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 17:02:16 »
Looks good - I like the white and blue.  Especially with the white case.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 17:08:38 »
Perhaps the only Razer product where the value may be possibly greater than RRP.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 17:22:19 »
I hate Razer products....but man, your board looks amazing!  Nice work.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 17:25:24 »
Really like your setup!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 17:42:05 »
Sick color scheme but I'm REALLY digging the space bar. Love how that came out. Did you do that yourself?

Also, where did you get that geek hack cap?
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 January 2013, 17:45:31 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 17:50:58 »

Thanks Akimbo :) I'm glad I was able to salvage it hah!

I thought so too, I spent a bit of time customizing and have a "backup" set to make the keyboard look a bit more uniform (white escape key, white WASD keys, and regular white number keys). But I like the "gamer" setup I have now too

Perhaps the only Razer product where the value may be possibly greater than RRP.

Bahahhaha and it was no easy task. I love the branding, but I just wish they used higher quality and compatibility with getting new keysets in! I had to mod the spacebar so the stabilizers fit properly. You could tell that in this keyboard they definitely went the cheap way on the keycaps to reduce costs. However the Blue MX switches work perfectly!

I had a bad experience before with their headsets too. $150 bucks down the drain within 2-3 weeks; however these trittons im using now have yet to fail me after 2 years time now.

Really like your setup!

Thanks pirate!  ;D

Sick color scheme but I'm REALLY digging the space bar. Love how that came out. Did you do that yourself?

I got the spacebar customized on WASDkeyboards :) I just offset it to the right and chose size 18 font I think it was? Thanks a bunch for taking a peek!  ^-^

Edit: I got the 'Geek Hack' cap made on there too!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 18:09:07 »

Thanks Akimbo :) I'm glad I was able to salvage it hah!

I thought so too, I spent a bit of time customizing and have a "backup" set to make the keyboard look a bit more uniform (white escape key, white WASD keys, and regular white number keys). But I like the "gamer" setup I have now too

Bahahhaha and it was no easy task. I love the branding, but I just wish they used higher quality and compatibility with getting new keysets in! I had to mod the spacebar so the stabilizers fit properly. You could tell that in this keyboard they definitely went the cheap way on the keycaps to reduce costs. However the Blue MX switches work perfectly!

I had a bad experience before with their headsets too. $150 bucks down the drain within 2-3 weeks; however these trittons im using now have yet to fail me after 2 years time now.

Really like your setup!

Thanks pirate!  ;D

I got the spacebar customized on WASDkeyboards :) I just offset it to the right and chose size 18 font I think it was? Thanks a bunch for taking a peek!  ^-^

Edit: I got the 'Geek Hack' cap made on there too!

I didn't realize you could do one offs from WASDkeyboards. Thanks for the info man. Also since you're offering up quick responses, did you just swap the LED out to change the color?

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 18:28:50 »

I didn't realize you could do one offs from WASDkeyboards. Thanks for the info man. Also since you're offering up quick responses, did you just swap the LED out to change the color?

Yeah I just swapped out the green led for a blue one, and added a white one to the esc button!

And WASD is pretty cool like that hah :P

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 04:18:58 »
Looks good!!
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline Glissant

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 04:44:20 »
You've just earned a spot in my giveaway for this awesome mod, Rapid :).

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 05:06:47 »
Holy cow what a cool Razer board. Great job man!
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 09:01:13 »
You've just earned a spot in my giveaway for this awesome mod, Rapid :).

Ahhh awesome, thanks Glissant! :)

Holy cow what a cool Razer board. Great job man!

Your username made me realize how terrifying a Kangaroo Zombie invasion would be. Thanks for looking :P

Looks good!!

Thank you good sir!

Offline Kmynis

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 09:14:26 »
I was going to keep lurking but I felt the neccesity to say that this keyboard is SICK! You took it to another level, Rapid.
HHKB Type-S
Filco TKL MX Red

Offline xyril

• Youtube Channel (full of typing and gaming vods)
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 10:26:27 »
looks better on the new color theme. It would be nicer if the "glowy part" is grey :P . I love old retro looks :>

otherwise  nice paintjob

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 10:50:47 »
looks better on the new color theme. It would be nicer if the "glowy part" is grey :P . I love old retro looks :>

otherwise  nice paintjob

Did you have in mind the escape key? Or the WASD keys? Because either way, I agree haha!

I was going to keep lurking but I felt the neccesity to say that this keyboard is SICK! You took it to another level, Rapid.

I'm glad I was able to pull you from the shadows xD Thanks Kymynis.

Offline johnahh

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 13:36:14 »
was it hard to add the LED in? i want to do this to my black widow. did you have to add resistor? or just soldered in an LED?

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 13:43:30 »
was it hard to add the LED in? i want to do this to my black widow. did you have to add resistor? or just soldered in an LED?

It's iffy with the electrical work, when looking at the little board that connects to the USB you have to connect it to the first, and last wires (I forget the colours). However the power coming through will be insanely high (12 v if I'm not mistaken), so you have to get the proper resistor obviously (I think I remember someone saying it's something like 80-100 ohm resistor, but don't quote me on that! :P ). However what I ended up doing (the easy way out really) was removing the LED that was connected "game mode (f10)" and simply rewired it to the esc key. So pushing FN+f10 turns it off and on which is pretty convenient :)

So to answer your question, it's nothing too too difficult. But if you've never done anything like it before you're gonna have a hard time.

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 13:45:37 »
Nice PaintJob! I'm thinking 'bout trying this in the future.
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline johnahh

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 13:47:04 »
ah i was hoping to put blue or white 3mm LED's on my BW but i have no previous electrical experience, it was gunna be my starter project lol!

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 13:56:01 »
ah i was hoping to put blue or white 3mm LED's on my BW but i have no previous electrical experience, it was gunna be my starter project lol!

3mm's was what I used. One thing you HAVE to pay attention to however, is that not all the keys support LED's on the BW. What I ended up doing was since it was just the escape key I just led the wiring up and around the board (not through it like the other LED's are). The one thing I can recommend if you decide to do the soldering job anyways is to test everything out before soldering. And when you do decide to commit make sure you are super careful and that you are not causing any electrical disturbances (I did this and my comma key didn't work until I figured out what the issue was).

Also make sure you feed the LED prongs through the MX switch, otherwise you're gonna have to fiddle around with it (also make sure the key can come all the way down so that the LED isn't messing with it)

Good luck my friend!

Nice PaintJob! I'm thinking 'bout trying this in the future.

Yeah totally! It's so nice knowing that I'm using something that I semi created myself :) Feel a lot more "1337" hah :P

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 13:57:53 »
Yeah totally! It's so nice knowing that I'm using something that I semi created myself :) Feel a lot more "1337" hah :P
And did you just spray paint it? Or did you coat it too? How long did it take :O
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 14:01:03 »
And did you just spray paint it? Or did you coat it too? How long did it take :O

One thing that's ESSENTIAL is even if a certain spray paint *cough* says that "No primer or sanding required", it turns out that it actually is required. Overall since I screwed it up without sanding the first time around, the process took like 2-3 days (way longer than it should have). I put the primer coat on first, and finished with it too because I liked the feel it had (smooth)

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 14:07:32 »

One thing that's ESSENTIAL is even if a certain spray paint *cough* says that "No primer or sanding required", it turns out that it actually is required. Overall since I screwed it up without sanding the first time around, the process took like 2-3 days (way longer than it should have). I put the primer coat on first, and finished with it too because I liked the feel it had (smooth)
I see, I'll practice on a few other random things before I go onto my board then, just to make sure I don't mess up :|
But yours really does look great  :D
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 14:17:29 »

I see, I'll practice on a few other random things before I go onto my board then, just to make sure I don't mess up :|
But yours really does look great  :D

I'm sure you can get "variety packs" of sandpaper at your local hardware stores. Before you leave make sure it's a wet sand, meaning that the board/ sandpaper is somewhat damp. Look for something that goes from 60-250/300 (or anything higher) grit. You start off with the lowest numbers and work your way up, then you put on your first coat of primer wait about an hour or so, then put your white/ whatever colour coat, then continue to wait one hour + additional coats until you feel that there is no "exposed spots". I finished it with the primer at the very end.

Good luck, and thanks! :)

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 14:22:51 »

I'm sure you can get "variety packs" of sandpaper at your local hardware stores. Before you leave make sure it's a wet sand, meaning that the board/ sandpaper is somewhat damp. Look for something that goes from 60-250/300 (or anything higher) grit. You start off with the lowest numbers and work your way up, then you put on your first coat of primer wait about an hour or so, then put your white/ whatever colour coat, then continue to wait one hour + additional coats until you feel that there is no "exposed spots". I finished it with the primer at the very end.

Good luck, and thanks! :)

Thanks for all the tips ^_^
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline johnahh

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew

Offline johnahh

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 05:46:02 »
no worries thanks for your time man :D

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 13:02:02 »
no worries thanks for your time man :D

Thanks for dropping by! :)

Offline verbhal

• twitch.tv/verbhal
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 18:10:02 »
Great looking keyboard.  That is a vast improvement over the stock board.  Awesome job.

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 14:38:47 »
Great looking keyboard.  That is a vast improvement over the stock board.  Awesome job.

Oh sorry I missed your comment! Thank you for the compliment :)

Offline llovro

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 10:13:36 »
'white widow'
I see what you did there ;)
OT: Im not a big fan of razer products but this WHITE widow looks splendid!
Also is that a thermaltake level 10 mouse? How do you like it so far?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 10:21:57 »
Nice job. Should have just gone and painted right over the Razer logo, too!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 14:18:14 »
That's a nice looking board. I notice you had a NZXT Phantom case, how do you like it? I was thinking about getting one of those and getting rid of my HAF 922.

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 14:33:30 »
Nice job. Should have just gone and painted right over the Razer logo, too!

Haaaaaahaaaahahaahahahahaahahahahahahahaha oooh man, had a good laugh at that one (and true for most of their stuff  :)) )

That's a nice looking board. I notice you had a NZXT Phantom case, how do you like it? I was thinking about getting one of those and getting rid of my HAF 922.

Love love love it. It's super spacious inside and has enough room to handle a NASA space launch (ok maybe not that much :P ) Only downfall is the fans you get with the case kinda suck. Really bland (not that it's that expensive for aftermarket fans anyways).

'white widow'
I see what you did there ;)
OT: Im not a big fan of razer products but this WHITE widow looks splendid!
Also is that a thermaltake level 10 mouse? How do you like it so far?

Thanks a bunch llovro! :)

And the mouse  is a Cyborg r.a.t. 7 Contagion edition (It's absolutely fantastic, and it's ability to be customized in anyway you want is crazy too (whether you palm your mouse, or claw it. I like a mixture of both). Looks intimidating at first, but it's super easy to customize).

Offline flacman

• I have oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 06:17:40 »
After owning the Blackwidow Ultimate, I never I thought I'd say this - but that modded keyboard looks hot.

The  glossy finish on my RBW-U is absolutely filthy.
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | Realforce RGB | RAMA Kara

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 07:31:49 »
After owning the Blackwidow Ultimate, I never I thought I'd say this - but that modded keyboard looks hot.

The new one with green LED actually looks pretty good.. don't kill me. :(
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline flacman

• I have oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 09:40:08 »

I'll grant you that, the body is matte/rubberised plastic. I was kind of disappointed to know a Tournament edition existed sometime after I acquired the BWU. I never use macros on my keyboard, and probably never will.
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | Realforce RGB | RAMA Kara

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 19:04:21 »

I'll grant you that, the body is matte/rubberised plastic. I was kind of disappointed to know a Tournament edition existed sometime after I acquired the BWU. I never use macros on my keyboard, and probably never will.

Thanks for the compliment! :) However I totally agree about the macros on the keyboard. Always had keyboards that featured them, but never actually used them...

Offline LifeIsGooD2

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 13:24:03 »
thats actually so awesome !

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 03:24:20 »
Great job. Looks really good. ;)

Nice advise on painting the case.. I'm currently considering spray painting my keyboard to white like yours, although I probably won't and use that as an excuse to get something like a white Leopold... :rolleyes:

Offline Plater

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 06:46:52 »
Wow, looks wonderful!

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 11:58:07 »
Great job. Looks really good. ;)

Nice advise on painting the case.. I'm currently considering spray painting my keyboard to white like yours, although I probably won't and use that as an excuse to get something like a white Leopold... :rolleyes:

my pleasure, and thanks for looking! :)

Wow, looks wonderful!

Glad you like it! :) I'm still really liking it, although I think it's time to get a new esc key. Ahhh the endless spiral of keycap collecting xP

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #50 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 13:42:50 »
Looks great, only thing I don't like is the black Razer badge at the bottom.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 15:32:28 »
looks great. probably would buy one if i didnt know it was Razer

Offline Yzeets

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 16:04:46 »
now they are going to come out with a replica of your idea

Offline 420

• Leopold FC700R
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 22:03:28 »
damn that keyboard looks hella sick similar to mine....

Offline Henkers

• Youtube
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 00:33:02 »
do you coat it with something, or does it just have a weird texture...?

Offline drdoooom

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 12:33:19 »
nice color scheme!

Offline WitchHunterNL

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 08:06:32 »
Sorry for the necro, but that spacebar looks like a 6x, does WASD sell 6x spacebars? Or did you buy their 6.25x one and modded it to 6x?

Also, does WASD custom print singles?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:06:54 »
it appears 1.25 modifiers were used instead of 1.5 ones so that a 6.25x would fit in the 6x slot

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 10:00:02 »
Nice mod!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 10:08:53 »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 16:29:29 »
old but just sayin mine is pretty cool too....

The tourney is actually built really well, better quality PCB than CMStorm/Costar. But regardless of build quality it feels really cheap to type on

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 16:37:57 »

Show Image

The tourney is actually built really well, better quality PCB than CMStorm/Costar. But regardless of build quality it feels really cheap to type on

I like your setup, but that Razer is in the way of the ergo...

Is it the keycaps that make it feel cheap to type on or is there flex in the board?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 16:50:04 »

Show Image

I like your setup, but that Razer is in the way of the ergo...

Is it the keycaps that make it feel cheap to type on or is there flex in the board?

lol it was a quick side project, i got it for 40$, harvested the brown switches and then when i came into possession of some red switches so i was like what the hell i will make a red switch tourney

as for the cheapness, the plate is really thin so the board flexes if decent pressure is put on the board; i type like a jackhammer, so yeah, flex happens. Plus the case is really hollow throughout (unnecessary extra size of the keyboard), so that lack of absorption i think makes it feel like a toy compared to a QFR Rapid.

Offline WitchHunterNL

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:56:01 »

Show Image

What's up with that spacebar? Is it just smaller or facing the wrong direction?

It does look brown though, part 303107 from KeyCapsDirect?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 10:07:51 »
The spacebar is flipped, some people prefer it that way. I think the brownish color is just bad lighting/potato camera.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 03:31:33 »
The spacebar is flipped, some people prefer it that way. I think the brownish color is just bad lighting/potato camera.

Someone flipped all the keys on their keyboard - but I would take that with a grain of salt ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline stancato9

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 20:04:35 »
Heyya Geekhack!

So the moment I stumbled across these forums few weeks ago, I knew that there had to be change done to my keyboard!

Now the stock razer keyboard (picture below) I thought looked... Plain. So after a white paint job, brand new keycaps, changed green razer LED to blue added LED to escape button my creation is finally complete!

What it looked like before...
Show Image

After
Show Image

Matches my setup much better now!
Show Image

Just showing off the keycaps (love them)
Show Image

Show Image

My 1950 Underwood Typewriter now has a friend  :p :p
Show Image

So after a few stressful days, and several freak outs I can safely say that it's finally done... For now. Might fix up the paint job maybe in the future :)

Now to find myself one of those pesky CC's or brocap! :P

Thank you for looking, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask :)

Edit: Thank you so much for the kind words everyone, I love to hear your opinion!

-Rapid.

Very well done. I'm thinking about plastidipping my QFR to change it up.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 22:12:27 »
I dunno.. I don't have any flex in my Blackwidow TE and I type pretty hard, too, when the mood takes me. Only when I pick it up and flex it is when I get any type of flex, and I... never really do that.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien