Author Topic: Captain BadAss' Keycon Midwest 2015 Thread  (Read 128720 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Captain BadAss' Keycon Midwest 2015 Thread
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 21:07:10 »
Man, so sad I missed this. I will not, will not miss the next one!

This was my reaction to the OG Keycon two years ago, which I missed. Very happy that I made the trip out this time around. :D
Same. I watched the live stream, and decided that I would not miss another Keycon.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline unoab

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 13:42:25 »
a continuation of the talk over pizza after keycon, comes a public service announcement:

Show Image

help prevent the spread of typing related conditions (finger chafing, keyboard contamination, finger dirtying when typing on a previously used keyboard, etc.)  Remember, safety first.

what kb is this? looks like a phantom PCB in a QFR case.

You are right.  unoab showed up late so not that many pictures were taken of this keyboard but if you could see the other side of it you would see a big "CMSTORM" logo.  From what I can recall I believe he said shears and a dremel were involved in modifying the QFR case.
Thanks, that's a great KB. He'd also have to mod the plate. The case mod looked so clean it looks stock. I've wanted to see what that mod looks like for a while, and now that I see it, I don't have to do it myself :p

I just need to decide if I will nod my skeldon top case or not.

Catching up on messages here, thanks geniekid for covering what I did in my absence.  For a rough cut I used a hacksaw to take out the area above the arrowpad, and then a dremel to clean it up and make it even with the rest of the case.  Still need to get rid of the soft touch exterior and the logos so I plan on sanding and painting it some time this summer.  Now just to find a nice off white/eggshell textured spraypaint to give it a nice IBM vintage color/feel.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 13:43:57 »
Then you send it my way, unoab, for *ahem* special testing. Right?

I like that board

Offline unoab

« Reply #203 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 14:19:19 »
Then you send it my way, unoab, for *ahem* special testing. Right?

I like that board

I'll consider it as long as you promise to "glove up"   :))

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 14:30:16 »
I was serious when I said if I can get gloves from apathy3cs or otherwise, I'd review them while typing. Word is bond.

Does anyone who went to Keycon want to get interviewed for a Tactile?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 14:37:56 »
I was serious when I said if I can get gloves from apathy3cs or otherwise, I'd review them while typing. Word is bond.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CUN4SQC

:D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 14:38:34 »
Does anyone who went to Keycon want to get interviewed for a Tactile?

I'm always down, but it would probably be more fun for you to get someone newer.   :thumb:

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 14:44:44 »

Those are cheap enough to be one-time use. Even better. ;D

Only a peasant would allow a sullied glove to touch their keyboard.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 14:47:42 »

Those are cheap enough to be one-time use. Even better. ;D

Only a peasant would allow a sullied glove to touch their keyboard.

For the especially ambitious, I recommend hand-crafting your own gloves for maximum feels and durability.

glove.org has excellent resources available, so you no longer have to be dissuaded by the secret art protected by European guilds.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 14:51:49 »
Custom gloves with personalized monograms, logos, and whaleskin fingertips will appear, I have no doubt.

I wouldn't recommend visiting glove.org though. Clearly a front for the Pan-European Glovers Guild to entrap unwary glove enthusiasts.

Offline unoab

« Reply #210 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 15:29:09 »
custom gloves would be nice, then you could have features like perforated palms so that when you are working up a sweat, typing like a madman, your palms can have some ventilation.  Or you could have inverted hobo gloves, so just the tips of the fingers, something like these

Offline abswyfe

• I <3 Geekhack
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 15:33:32 »
Show Image

Early morning Starbucks sesh with JD. I can't selfie

No you can't. But that's ok. Wish we could have been there.
Thank you all Destiny supporters and all you fun people in off topic! I think I will try to stick around for a while!

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #212 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 09:22:46 »
Well, I finally made it back to Mississippi after my keycon/travel extravaganza! I had sooo much fun and it was so great to meet everyone that came out. I learned Geekhackers are real people! And they are super cool. I can't recall many other times that I've ever been around so many fun and interesting people at once!

I'm bummed out that it's over but super happy I went. THANK YOOOOOUUUUU GUYYYSSSSS for being awesome!  :thumb:

Booper for surprising me with that intense hug at our goodbye in Galloping Ghosts. And for playing with me Metal Slug and Raystorm there. The veggie pizza was the best pizza and I can’t wait to have more vegetarian meals with you! And thank you for not freaking out on the L. All things considered, you handled it pretty well!

I LIKE HUGS! and also, if by "handled it pretty well" you mean resolved to avoid public transportation for the rest of my life, then YES! I handled it pretty well!

#togetherrrrrrr  :-*
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 09:25:14 »
also, if by "handled it pretty well" you mean resolved to avoid public transportation for the rest of my life, then YES! I handled it pretty well!

Er...that's probably not the response I was looking for but I can't knock you lol.

Offline Coconut

• otaku4lyfe
« Reply #214 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 09:36:30 »

Well, I finally made it back to Mississippi after my keycon/travel extravaganza! I had sooo much fun and it was so great to meet everyone that came out. I learned Geekhackers are real people! And they are super cool. I can't recall many other times that I've ever been around so many fun and interesting people at once!

I'm bummed out that it's over but super happy I went. THANK YOOOOOUUUUU GUYYYSSSSS for being awesome!

Welcome homeeee \o/ <3!!!
LOL #togetherrrrrrr
you were strong and escaped swiftly XD

"a whole coconut is a strong coconut" -paicrai

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #215 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 09:43:59 »
also, if by "handled it pretty well" you mean resolved to avoid public transportation for the rest of my life, then YES! I handled it pretty well!

Er...that's probably not the response I was looking for but I can't knock you lol.

haha, I'll ride one again if I HAVE to, but only if I'm sandwiched between bodyguards. :p

I'm bummed out that it's over but super happy I went. THANK YOOOOOUUUUU GUYYYSSSSS for being awesome!

Welcome homeeee \o/ <3!!!
LOL #togetherrrrrrr
you were strong and escaped swiftly XD

YAY! thank you! So glad I got to hang out with you and Lastpilot! Southern geekhackers represent!
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #216 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 09:57:31 »
#Together indeed LOL.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #217 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 10:58:48 »

I LIKE HUGS! and also, if by "handled it pretty well" you mean resolved to avoid public transportation for the rest of my life, then YES! I handled it pretty well!

Wait, what happened on the L....you guys weren't on the Red line were you?...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #218 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:02:23 »

We were on the Purple headed toward the loop during rush times. Why did it have to make all those stops?

#togetherrrrrr

in memoriam

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 16:47:44 »

We were on the Purple headed toward the loop during rush times. Why did it have to make all those stops?

#togetherrrrrr

#crazyguynexttobooper
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline RavenII

« Reply #220 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 17:44:42 »

#togetherrrrrr

Haha, shouldn't've made too many stops, unless you guys boarded in Evanston...that's a different story.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 17:48:04 »

#togetherrrrrr

Haha, shouldn't've made too many stops, unless you guys boarded in Evanston...that's a different story.

We got in at the last stop.  ;D  (which I think is Evanston)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 17:49:58 »
maybe we'll actually get to talk sometime :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline RavenII

« Reply #223 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 17:52:09 »

#togetherrrrrr

Yep, that'll do it. Haha, well, at least you guys experienced it. Though, just be happy it wasn't the Red line...that one has a special breed of people, funk, and stench on it. It's like a circus show at times.

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:00:22 »
Glad to hear you made it back safely from the long drive Booper.

and yeah.... I avoid the mass transit as much as I can (half because motion sickness half because people), which makes it tough to go downtown.

Offline unoab

« Reply #225 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 23:25:45 »
Though, just be happy it wasn't the Red line...that one has a special breed of people, funk, and stench on it. It's like a circus show at times.

QFT, I'm happy I take the brown line to work and only rarely have to take the red line anywhere, just like the blue line, all the 24/7 lines have a distinctive odor to them and the stories of other questionable things that people have seen on them don't make touching anything in the car any better..

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:06:11 »

and yeah.... I avoid the mass transit as much as I can (half because motion sickness half because people), which makes it tough to go downtown.

Though, just be happy it wasn't the Red line...that one has a special breed of people, funk, and stench on it. It's like a circus show at times.

QFT, I'm happy I take the brown line to work and only rarely have to take the red line anywhere, just like the blue line, all the 24/7 lines have a distinctive odor to them and the stories of other questionable things that people have seen on them don't make touching anything in the car any better..

We shall appreciate all the flavors that each of us contribute to the melting pot of the human race.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline RavenII

« Reply #227 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:26:18 »

We shall appreciate all the flavors that each of us contribute to the melting pot of the human race.

Life wouldn't be life otherwise.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #228 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:35:38 »

#togetherrrrrr

We boarded at Linden and went all the way to Randolph/Wabash downtown. I don't remember at which stop Booper's "friend" boarded, but I think it was Main or Howard.

in memoriam

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #229 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 11:37:54 »
I'd just like everyone to know that my Amazon home page is full of gloves now.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #230 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 11:41:03 »

Mine too. And my facebook.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #231 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 11:58:38 »

Any good suggestions?

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #232 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 11:58:40 »
Confirmed rumor: Keycon 2016 Florida

Wait... WAIT. WUT?! What did I miss?!?!?

Now on to florida ;)

I'm so confused. What is going on?!

This some kind of cruel joke?! HUE.

I wish I was able to have gone to Keycon... :'(

[WTB] Housing in FL 2016

Vesper is selling his apt LOL

HUEHUEHUE.

ooh yea lovely gainesville

Nothing like the home of the Gators, baby.

Go Gators!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 12:01:49 »
Friendly reminder to Keycon drivers to pay your tolls within 7 days. Cost me $7.90.  :'(

http://www.illinoistollway.com/tolls-and-i-pass/unpaid-tolls/unpaid-toll-opening-page

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #234 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 12:03:16 »

Now on to florida ;)

Well Universal Studios is opening up Nintendo World so I was hyped. And they've already got Harry Potter world. I also heard Orlando is a convention town so a meeting space might work. So...the half joke half serious thing is that we're doing Keycon 2016 in Orlando. Ollivander's here I come.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #235 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 12:05:10 »
Well Universal Studios is opening up Nintendo World so I was hyped. And they've already got Harry Potter world. I also heard Orlando is a convention town so a meeting space might work. So...the half joke half serious thing is that we're doing Keycon 2016 in Orlando. Ollivander's here I come.

OH MANNNNNNNNN. Why couldn't have that been this year?!?!?!?! Hahahaha... I really hope I'm around if that happens... Otherwise it might have to be Keycon 2016 Korea... :)) But that's a maybe too...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 12:05:53 »
Ok **** Florida. Dreams have finally come true. Keycon Int'l Edition: Seoul 2016

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #237 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 12:06:45 »
Ok **** Florida. Dreams have finally come true. Keycon Int'l Edition: Seoul 2016

:)) :)) :))

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #238 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 12:10:11 »

I can get behind this.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #239 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 12:12:00 »
Mile High Club Hoff?

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 12:25:46 »
Mile High Club Hoff?

BUT I WON'T BE ON THE PLANE!!!  :'( >:D :confused: :mad:

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #241 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 17:05:08 »
Friendly reminder to Keycon drivers to pay your tolls within 7 days. Cost me $7.90.  :'(

http://www.illinoistollway.com/tolls-and-i-pass/unpaid-tolls/unpaid-toll-opening-page
Yep our tolls suck.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #242 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 17:10:30 »
In this case, 7.90 > 7x20...

More importantly...it's only been 6 damn days?!...I gotta write my reflections already...

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #243 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 06:13:38 »
In this case, 7.90 > 7x20...

More importantly...it's only been 6 damn days?!...I gotta write my reflections already...

"All my dreams came true. I am now ready to die.  Thank you, Geeks, thank you."

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #244 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 09:03:54 »

Now on to florida ;)

Went to ollivanders last December and got a couple wands!!! :-) butter beer is too die for!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #245 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 13:54:57 »
A few other things before I lock this thread:

An imgur photo dump of everything I snapped a picture of while I was in Chicago

My presentation this year titled: Alps Keyswitches 101

I thought this might be especially useful for people who are confused about Alps and Alps mount switches (Please remember this is just my opinion):

My presentation from last year titled: Metals and Metal Processing 101 - Keyboards. I said I'd share it and never did so here it is.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #246 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 14:19:31 »
Mile High Club Hoff?

Geekhack:  You'll come for the keyboards.  You'll stay for the yaoi.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #247 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 15:46:11 »
Mile High Club Hoff?

Geekhack:  You'll come for the keyboards.  You'll stay for the yaoi.

IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #248 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 09:49:36 »
A few other things before I lock this thread:

An imgur photo dump of everything I snapped a picture of while I was in Chicago

My presentation this year titled: Alps Keyswitches 101

I thought this might be especially useful for people who are confused about Alps and Alps mount switches (Please remember this is just my opinion):

Show Image

My presentation from last year titled: Metals and Metal Processing 101 - Keyboards. I said I'd share it and never did so here it is.

After viewing that photo dump, I am hungry.