Author Topic: Input Club K Type Thread  (Read 49712 times)

Offline lekashman

Input Club K Type Thread
« on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 12:30:59 »
Howdy everyone!

We've been working on the K Type Keyboard for quite a while and we are starting to get really close to actually finalizing the design. Here is a link to the basic information about the keyboard - http://ktype.link/info

The short version is that the K Type is a stock ANSI layout tenkeyless keyboard with RGB backlighting, full programming options, open source design and a flawless aluminum case.

We recently started an Idea Hunt campaign here http://ktype.link/ideahunt to figure out what priorities people had as feedback toward the design.

It was suggested that we start a thread here to get serious enthusiast feedback from the wonderful folks at geekhack by the fine and respected keyboard designer, jdcarpe, so here we are!

So, what should we do with the K Type to make it better suited to your desires?

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
Re: Input Club K Type Thread
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 09:32:55 »
Nice damage control thread.

For those who missed it, until jdcarpe pointed it out, the official channel for contacting the team with ideas was neither of the communities(r/mk, DT or GH) or even MD, but a page on ideahunt.io . I guess the mechanical keyboard community doesn't give enough profit anymore, so you tried to quietly move to bigger potential cash pools.

This is literally the best proof MD themselves for the words in my signature.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline lekashman

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 12:11:23 »
I’d like to give you the background and context on our partnership with Idea Hunt and hopefully answer a few questions. Elia, the founder of Idea Hunt thought we would be a great fit for his new platform and helped put together the entire campaign. He didn’t ask us to pay anything, and we thought it would be a fantastic opportunity for people to vote and suggest specific features for our upcoming project. Idea Hunt is definitely great for tracking votes on micro-improvements in a way we hadn’t seen implemented before.

After launching that campaign, we read a post by jdcarpe asking why there wasn’t a thread for the KType on Geekhack, so we decided to put together a series of threads addressing the topic. Prior to this, we mostly just connected directly with our friends on GH/DT/Reddit via IRC, Skype, or through the large meetups hosted by Jacob Alexander (HaaTa). We initially didn’t post the threads on the keyboard communities because we operate our own forum at https://input.club/forums and we thought that people who wanted to suggest things to us would either do so personally or use our dedicated space.

If you’re interested in learning more about our work and partnerships with the different keyboard community members, to see how closely involved we are I’d invite you to check out the AMA we did with r/mechanicalkeyboards here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3pd0dc/ama_with_jacob_alexander_founder_of_input_club/

Or check out the meetup we organized on GH/DT/Reddit that had over 100 people in attendance last month:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79201.msg2032816#msg2032816

If you have suggestions for other ways we can work more closely with keyboard enthusiasts, we are all ears, and this thread is the place to do it!

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 12:23:17 »
the K Type is a stock ANSI layout tenkeyless keyboard

I would like to see international layouts available. Atleast stock ISO.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 12:47:53 »
Nice damage control thread.

For those who missed it, until jdcarpe pointed it out, the official channel for contacting the team with ideas was neither of the communities(r/mk, DT or GH) or even MD, but a page on ideahunt.io . I guess the mechanical keyboard community doesn't give enough profit anymore, so you tried to quietly move to bigger potential cash pools.

This is literally the best proof MD themselves for the words in my signature.

I don't really care to address your beef with Massdrop, but your ire toward Input Club is insanely misplaced.

All their designs and software are Open Sourced for the community to be able to build on. HaaTa has been a contributing member of the community for a long time, and if you think he's suddenly worried about cashing in I think you haven't really been paying attention and are just looking to grind your axe a little more.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 13:16:38 »
Open source doesn't automatically make something good. Case in point: systemd
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline thelectronicnub

• drowning in keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 13:34:32 »

then what is so bad about the input club? it sounds like you're extending your beef w/massdrop to the input club, which just collaborates with massdrop. should they be punished for trying to make mechanical keyboards more accessible to everyone?

and imo systemd isn't that bad, it just werks
KUL ES-87 w/MX Greens

B/S/T Thread

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 13:52:02 »

Thank you very much for your extremely nuanced, well reasoned and on topic opinion. Truly with such critical insight I'm sure you'll contribute extensively to the community you are working so hard to protect from the evil of I:C...  :rolleyes:

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 14:12:20 »
Thanks for coming to our community for feedback, lets try to keep the thread somewhat relevant guys.

Personally, I like to see more switch options, and perhaps an option to save a few bucks by being able to buy one without the stock keyset, as that would likely be something I would replace. Additionally, more case colours would be cool - personally I am not a huge fan of the silver.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 16:29:02 »
Alps/Matias compatibility, but I'm sure that already has been evaluated as an option, considering the past offerings from Input Club.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 16:55:36 »
Alps/Matias compatibility, but I'm sure that already has been evaluated as an option, considering the past offerings from Input Club.

I keep working on Over^Kill in IRC. I figure by 2020 I'll wear his resolve down ;)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 19:29:19 »

I keep working on Over^Kill in IRC. I figure by 2020 I'll wear his resolve down ;)

I never go on IRC, but I understand a lot goes on there.  Just get Haata in your back pocket, the man knows his switches.

Anyways, I think the whole Matias/Alps compatibility is still kinda niche, I don't think it is much of a selling point except for the true believers.  The small amount of keycap set compatibility also is dissuasive of wider demand and adoption.

Offline OverKill

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 00:34:22 »

Indeed the K Type will not be alps compatible this go around, sorry!

We are only offering it in standard ANSI to keep things simple. We know how difficult and hectic things can get during the manufacturing phase so we want to commit all of our resources to make the best one thing rather then spread it out. In addition, we are providing customers with an aluminum case that is billet and CNC machined and getting different layouts made is not as easy as if it were plate mount.

Offline ika

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 01:00:39 »
I forgot the K-Type looks to be using Costar style stabs. What's the consideration around that? It's an instant boner killer for me tbh.

Offline OverKill

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 01:06:26 »
I forgot the K-Type looks to be using Costar style stabs. What's the consideration around that? It's an instant boner killer for me tbh.

We are going to be switching to Cherry style or similar stabilizers.

Offline ika

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 01:23:32 »

:thumb:  relieving news.

Offline saxophone

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 09:07:39 »
Make the corners less rounded and reduce keyboard base/chassis footprint further
Reconsider the legend on the number row Looks like it's running SMD leds that will light up the !@#$%^&*( and not the actual numbers.
Switch type is not mentioned (please let it not be cherry), preferably make use of the easy re-attach switch thing that those team wolf CIY keyboards have
Open source software? will people be able to change stuff like the debounce delay or order?
What's the chip that's going to be used for this?

Dumb toho poster.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 17:49:18 »

We are only offering it in standard ANSI to keep things simple. We know how difficult and hectic things can get during the manufacturing phase so we want to commit all of our resources to make the best one thing rather then spread it out. In addition, we are providing customers with an aluminum case that is billet and CNC machined and getting different layouts made is not as easy as if it were plate mount.
]

Wait, so there will not be a plate?  Just a one-piece case?

Offline lekashman

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:10:29 »
There will be a removable bottom plate so the PCB isn't exposed, but the switches will be mounted directly into the top of the case. It's a bit more like how the Infinity Keyboard with a bent metal case is structured, except far cooler.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:47:28 »
Ugh. This makes it much less useful to put Alps switches on, because it’s impossible to make that compatible with most Alps keycaps.

Would much rather see Alps-style stabilizer clip holes; Matias supposedly has stab wires and inserts for those which work with MX keycaps.

K Type will not be alps compatible this go around, sorry!
... Guess that’s not really a problem though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:49:57 by jacobolus »

Offline OverKill

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:47:20 »

]

Wait, so there will not be a plate?  Just a one-piece case?

Yep.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 23:26:22 »
The case sounds very interesting, and the mock ups look gorgeous.  Well done.

I'm with jacobolus on the whole Alps/Matias issue, but can't make everybody happy.  I guess if you really want it, try to make it yourself.

Offline bsbllclown

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 23:19:45 »
Any chance it will have a USB pass through or HUB? I haven't been able to find a single metal framed KB that has one outside of the K70. Really interested in the K-Type regardless though.

Offline lekashman

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 07:42:27 »
It will have two USB Type C ports, one on the left and another on the right side of the keyboard. The KLL firmware supports daisy-chaining of keyboards, so it will have the same level of functionality as an ErgoDox does for split keyboards.

This doesn't stop at just powering and sending data through however, we've designed it such that LED animations will actually be able to propagate between linked keyboards. This means that when we design a matching numpad for the K Type, they will be as one.

So, this isn't a hub in the strictest sense, and there is pass through, but probably not in the way you were expecting?

Does this answer your question?

Offline bsbllclown

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 07:55:33 »
Yeah, specifically was hoping for a USB to use for headphones, mouse, or flash drive. Something of that nature. Mostly the headphones though, i keep a really clean work area and usually have my headphones wrapped up on their stand till i use them. so its nice to pull them off the stand and plug them into my KB.

Offline djeex

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 02:23:18 »
Any interesting updates on the K Type at this point? =D

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 03:26:07 »
Thanks for coming to our community for feedback, lets try to keep the thread somewhat relevant guys.

Personally, I like to see more switch options, and perhaps an option to save a few bucks by being able to buy one without the stock keyset, as that would likely be something I would replace. Additionally, more case colours would be cool - personally I am not a huge fan of the silver.

EXACTLY we lot here tend to kick anyone's head in, simply because it amuses us immensely  ;D .

Byker has mentioned the vitals here by supplying more switch types as well as supplying a simple kit without switches, so as to give a real cheap alternative for those wanting to build a keyboard themselves with their own switches.
Provide MORE options that doesn't cost a lot then you'll get more interest from this place here.

Offline robotmaxtron

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 10:09:31 »
I'm very excited for the k-type, even more so with the news of an eventual numpad that can be daisychained easily to the left.

The open source aspect is very appealing as my current primary keyboard (The Pok3r), I can't even update the firmware as I don't have a Windows box available.

Big +1 to different case options, the silver isn't very appealing at first glance however I don't think everybody is as flexible when it comes to aesthetics.  Cherry style stabilizers are a must for me as well, glad to hear that's going to be used.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 06:39:08 »
It will have two USB Type C ports, one on the left and another on the right side of the keyboard. The KLL firmware supports daisy-chaining of keyboards, so it will have the same level of functionality as an ErgoDox does for split keyboards.

This doesn't stop at just powering and sending data through however, we've designed it such that LED animations will actually be able to propagate between linked keyboards. This means that when we design a matching numpad for the K Type, they will be as one.

I've been following the K-type on input club's own forum but only seen the info about future eventual numpad here. It got me even more excited than I was before! My questions are:

1. Will this be available as assembled, DIY kit or both?
2. What will be the stock keycaps for this keyboard? I don't like the font of the Vortex PBT and I'm intrigued by this image from Ducky:

Offline Data

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 07:08:01 »
shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

Offline lekashman

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 09:14:20 »
@thelaughingman
We are planning on the main product offering to be fully assembled but are also considering a DIY option.

The keycaps aren't settled yet, we want to finalize the main keyboard, determine our options regarding LED placement and then make the call on keycaps.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 10:15:42 »
Andrew Lekashman
23 Mar 2016

We cannot do ISO support right now because it simply adds a lot of complexity to the drop. ISO keyboards are actually entirely different products from ANSI keyboards as they have different circuit boards, cases, switch counts, and keycap sets. We may do ISO at some point in the far, far future, but there is currently no roadmap for it.

I've seen PCB and plates designed by the community, perfectly compatible with both layouts.
GH60, whitefox etc

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 10:19:08 »
"USB Type C is the protocol of the future, and at its launch, the K-Type will be the first available RGB Type C Keyboard".

:):):):):):):):):))
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 10:22:11 by Giorgio »

Offline Rally Man

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 10:55:38 »
Why TKL?!  Are you guys going to offer a full size 104 key layout?
INPUT GEAR
Work: Logitech MX Revolution |
Filco "Hulk" Majestouch-2 Tactile Action NKR
Home: Razer Imperator | Filco "Doraemon" Majestouch-2 Tactile Action NKR
Want:  3DConnexion SpaceMouse Enterprise | Logitech MX Master

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 11:12:09 »
@lekashman

thanks for responding! I have never soldered a thing so fully assembled is for me but I know a lot of people appreciate the DIY kit just as much.

another question is whether switch options are finalised yet? and will the switch variants be special order by I:C just for the K-type?

Offline lekashman

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 12:58:47 »
@Giorgio You may have seen plates designed by Input Club that support ISO in keyboards such as the WhiteFox, but the K-Type has a completely different architecture. There is no separate plate from the case.

Also, the Type C claim was a bit ambitious but was absolutely truthful when we made it. Now it appears to be a bit of a race to see who can release their Type C RGB keyboards first.

@Rally Man TKL keyboards are the most popular enthusiast size. The K-Type is a very high-end keyboard and increasing the cost to add duplicate keys on the numpad does not make sense. We are working on a separate numpad project however!

@thelaughingman We are still in development on the switch types. Most RGB switch offerings available today are not very good, so changes definitely do need to be made. You can be sure that we will use the top performing RGB switch available, however.

Offline Rally Man

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 13:01:45 »
@Rally Man TKL keyboards are the most popular enthusiast size. The K-Type is a very high-end keyboard and increasing the cost to add duplicate keys on the numpad does not make sense. We are working on a separate numpad project however!

Guess I'm going to have to bust out the crazy glue.

INPUT GEAR
Work: Logitech MX Revolution |
Filco "Hulk" Majestouch-2 Tactile Action NKR
Home: Razer Imperator | Filco "Doraemon" Majestouch-2 Tactile Action NKR
Want:  3DConnexion SpaceMouse Enterprise | Logitech MX Master

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 13:22:57 »
About the usb-c... quite the opposite. The fact is that I see absolutely no reason to use that connector. That means new cables and more money wasted for nothing. And no. I'm not gonna buy an adapter.

This thing seems still too much undefined. This is a pre-pre-pre interst check.

@Giorgio You may have seen plates designed by Input Club that support ISO in keyboards such as the WhiteFox, but the K-Type has a completely different architecture. There is no separate plate from the case.

Also, the Type C claim was a bit ambitious but was absolutely truthful when we made it. Now it appears to be a bit of a race to see who can release their Type C RGB keyboards first.

@thelaughingman We are still in development on the switch types. Most RGB switch offerings available today are not very good, so changes definitely do need to be made. You can be sure that we will use the top performing RGB switch available, however.

Offline lekashman

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 13:33:03 »
@Giorgio Well, we will be shipping a cable with it, so there isn't a need to buy a new one? Also, we've made 5 of these and are in the process of vetting manufacturers to make a large scale production run, so I would hardly describe this as an early interest check.

This thread is more to provide a space on Geekhack for people to ask questions and discuss our newest keyboard project.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 13:36:12 »
About the usb-c... quite the opposite. The fact is that I see absolutely no reason to use that connector. That means new cables and more money wasted for nothing.

USB 3.1 and Type-C allows for higher voltages and current over the wire which is actually a really big deal when you have a metric ****ton of LEDs you're trying to drive at high levels of brightness.

Additionally the Type-C connector itself is much better as it is reversible and the plugs are rated for more uses.

Offline Data

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 14:03:28 »
About the usb-c... quite the opposite. The fact is that I see absolutely no reason to use that connector. That means new cables and more money wasted for nothing. And no. I'm not gonna buy an adapter.

Sweet troll bro.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 14:39:06 »

Sweet troll bro.

Sweet troll bro.

Offline robotmaxtron

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 17:55:04 »
As more and more RGB keyboards come out and are announced, my excitement for the K-Type is dying. Hope there's something tangible soon or this won't be nearly as revolutionary as it could've been.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:10:26 »
As more and more RGB keyboards come out and are announced, my excitement for the K-Type is dying. Hope there's something tangible soon or this won't be nearly as revolutionary as it could've been.

+1000

Offline Data

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 08:25:08 »

Sweet troll bro.

Sweet troll bro.

You're really ****ing bad at this.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 08:44:54 »

Sweet troll bro.

Sweet troll bro.

Offline Data

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 08:51:58 »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 08:56:59 »

Offline OverKill

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 10:38:16 »
Hi Guys,

Please lets keep the thread relevant. We are very aware that as time passes so will our chance to release a sweet keyboard. We are receiving the final protoypes in about a week and a half and HaaTa has been working hard on the software. Currently we have reached 90fps with our animations but we need to do some advanced testing to ensure longevity.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 11:29:24 »
@lekashman

with regards to the 02 USB-type C ports, will it work with 02 devices at the same time? I'm thinking along the line of 01 port is connected to my PC, the other port is connected to a laptop/tablet