Author Topic: PrimeCaps ~ Keycap progress  (Read 21368 times)

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
PrimeCaps ~ Keycap progress
« on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 16:58:48 »
As you may have gathered I am on the artisan cap making journey. I've been lurking and processing all the amazing makers info and comments on this site. There is so much awesome support and appreciation it really makes you want to be a part of it. SO here I am I finally have a few things to share. Here are some pictures of my first attempts(we must fail before we can truly understand what success is... or something like that) and some designs which I am not sure I am going to move forwards with. If I was to say two of these was supposed to be specific characters. Can you guess who they are? The last pic is a teaser for some things that I really hope turns out because it looks awesome so far.  :cool:
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 February 2017, 17:04:48 by pinkizhip »
Check out our Artisan keys at Primecaps.ca

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: I made this, Keycap progress
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 03:37:36 »
Definite improvement in every way from the blue 3/4 blank to the faces :))

I have no idea who the characters are (not your fault, I'm just really bad at recognising/knowing anyone!) but that octopus arm looks a like a good start - as long as it doesn't hit the caps around it...

Keep at it :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 11:12:01 »

I have no idea who the characters are (not your fault, I'm just really bad at recognizing/knowing anyone!) but that octopus arm looks a like a good start - as long as it doesn't hit the caps around it...

The characters are both from the 80's if that helps. I don't really think they come across as what I envisioned them, hence not moving much forward with them. But if you like that tentacle you will enjoy one of my sneaky peak pieces.(I hope this turns out as well as the master looked or I'm just yappin for notta) Here is a better pic of my red dude.  Maybe he needs a hat to be more recognizable but that would be getting trickier to cast.
Thanks for your reply :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 11:34:19 »

I have no idea who the characters are (not your fault, I'm just really bad at recognizing/knowing anyone!) but that octopus arm looks a like a good start - as long as it doesn't hit the caps around it...

The characters are both from the 80's if that helps. I don't really think they come across as what I envisioned them, hence not moving much forward with them. But if you like that tentacle you will enjoy one of my sneaky peak pieces.(I hope this turns out as well as the master looked or I'm just yappin for notta) Here is a better pic of my red dude.  Maybe he needs a hat to be more recognizable but that would be getting trickier to cast.
Thanks for your reply :)

Ha ha, now I see Sloth.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 11:41:13 »
Nice!

Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Epic

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 00:25:31 »
The tv show (movie?) was ahead of my time, but I can see him!

Offline Mattc777

• Lost Keys
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 20:36:59 »
Peeping that Falcor design - Good stuff! Keep up the progress!  :thumb:

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 12:49:50 »
Peeping that Falcor design - Good stuff! Keep up the progress!  :thumb:

You guessed it! awe that makes me happy knowing my creations are somewhat recognizable. Sadly key Falcor was eaten by the nothing so he would need a full remake. Which I could do if anyone had interest but I feel like I dated myself with these character choices.  Though thinking on it my other designs are pretty old... prehistoric? as well sooo nevermind. Guess I'm just an old soul with a fresh face.

Thanks for the support.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 13:59:15 »
How do you feel about textures? I'm kind of into it. These keys are pretty rough but they could be colored some interesting ways.
150608-0
150610-1

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 14:35:37 »
How do you feel about textures? I'm kind of into it. These keys are pretty rough but they could be colored some interesting ways.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

I really like the leaves one. Not sure what the other is supposed to be.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 20:49:18 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

The other one was just playing around with texture/pattern. It reminded me of 90's clam shell pattern so its gone. Replaced with another plant, an attempt at a sword fern. I think it would look cool as two colors but it was suggest that its just too busy... any texture should be more uniformed.
150830-0
150832-1
Thoughts?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 21:13:12 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

The other one was just playing around with texture/pattern. It reminded me of 90's clam shell pattern so its gone. Replaced with another plant, an attempt at a sword fern. I think it would look cool as two colors but it was suggest that its just too busy... any texture should be more uniformed.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
Thoughts?

I like it, but from the mold it'd be hard to tell how it would look with different colors, as I'm not sure I'm getting all the details right in my head.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 21:21:56 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
Thoughts?

I like it, but from the mold it'd be hard to tell how it would look with different colors, as I'm not sure I'm getting all the details right in my head.

The sculpey color was a poor choice to see detail. Perhaps I should start using different colors for the parts that I envision as a different color.
Good idea Romevi  ;)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 21:46:01 »
 The mold seems great; just wondering if the details would be seen better once it's cast in different colors.  ;D

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:37:38 »
Hurray! its finally time to show you what I have been excited about. Its Rexy, because he's so sexy and Rockem' Sockem" Octy .He's ready for fisticuffs if you are. This just how I have been thinking of them. I'm open to names if you have any inspired ideas. I hope you like them as much as I do. Questions, comments and critiques are welcome <3 These are still in the development phase. Working on making sure the caps are filled and minimizing bubbles.

The whole family
151253-0

RS Octy
151247-1
151249-2

Rexy
151251-3

board shot
151255-4

Bonus storm trooper. Printed and painted by my cohort. The Alien, Ripley and Predator on my board are his prints that I painted.  Not bad for starting out I think. I'm excited to keep at it. I love making things.
151257-5

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:39:20 »
Oh, you're the one behind that Octopus!

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:41:35 »
Oh, you're the one behind that Octopus!

perhaps there is another octopus? this is the first i have posted this one.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 14:02:16 »
Since the color of my last casts turned out less than favorable I decided I'll give these caps a little boost. Here's Rexy with a color upgrade. I think it makes his details stand out much better even considering my slight sloppiness.
He was fun to take pictures of, it always seemed like he was smiling for the camera.

151344-0

151346-1

151348-2

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 13:41:28 »
FOR THE EMPIRE!
The Goblin Empire that is.(AKA my dragon boating team) I want a goblin keycap and I know another person on my team has a MKboard so thought this would be a fun next design to do.  I've come up with two designs so far and I enjoy aspects from both. The one on left(or the Goblin formerly known as wangface{{was admiring the design from different angles then what do I see. Yup his face is just a big'ol' dong. oops I kinda fixed him }}) is positioned to be diagonal across the key to allow for a longer face. Righty Gob reminds me more of an orc because of the squareness, but the placement seems better.
Both have a comical feel which is a refection of my teams demeanor. Though we fight tooth an nail on the water we are generally good nature, mischievous and at times down right goofy.

151707-0
151709-1
151711-2

Comments and creative criticism welcome <3

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 13:55:16 »
Horde fan here ;D

The Falkor is awesome, I recognized it instantly! Although, I had to look it up because it's been a few years since I watched the movie

Offline coozney

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 14:02:35 »
Hurray! its finally time to show you what I have been excited about. Its Rexy, because he's so sexy and Rockem' Sockem" Octy .He's ready for fisticuffs if you are. This just how I have been thinking of them. I'm open to names if you have any inspired ideas. I hope you like them as much as I do. Questions, comments and critiques are welcome <3 These are still in the development phase. Working on making sure the caps are filled and minimizing bubbles.

The whole family
(Attachment Link)

RS Octy
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Rexy
(Attachment Link)

board shot
(Attachment Link)

Bonus storm trooper. Printed and painted by my cohort. The Alien, Ripley and Predator on my board are his prints that I painted.  Not bad for starting out I think. I'm excited to keep at it. I love making things.
(Attachment Link)

I really like the octopus keycap. Rexy and Sloth look great too but their just too tall for my taste.

KBP V60 Mini          Corsair K70 RGB

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 14:17:18 »

I really like the octopus keycap. Rexy and Sloth look great too but their just too tall for my taste.

Thanks for the input: ) I think octy is my fave so far.

Horde fan here ;D

The Falkor is awesome, I recognized it instantly! Although, I had to look it up because it's been a few years since I watched the movie

Hehe I'm glad you could recognize Falcor. I may have a go at him again one day. Perhaps I will should create my own interpretation of a luck dragon hmmm, things that make you go hmm...

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 11:38:59 »
Gave a real go at some double shots yesterday. I quite enjoyed the process and results, thus went to sleep thinking of my next colors. I'd like to remake rexy to be a side profile so I can actually fill some of his details. The way the mold is now is pretty crazy impossible to be accurate. I can definitely see how you would plan a design to be able to easily fill different colors. I've also learned to straight up fill the stems before closing the mold. My success rate has gone up dramatically since doing this. If you are having trouble with your stem not filling properly, this is a good solution. I still have some bubbles here or there but the caps are coming out better and better.
Still have some finishing to do on these guys but you get the idea. How far we have come from my first derpy keys.

Painted RS Octy
151988-0

Double shotskies
151990-1

151992-2

151994-3

151996-4

Offline coozney

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 11:44:23 »
Gave a real go at some double shots yesterday. I quite enjoyed the process and results, thus went to sleep thinking of my next colors. I'd like to remake rexy to be a side profile so I can actually fill some of his details. The way the mold is now is pretty crazy impossible to be accurate. I can definitely see how you would plan a design to be able to easily fill different colors. I've also learned to straight up fill the stems before closing the mold. My success rate has gone up dramatically since doing this. If you are having trouble with your stem not filling properly, this is a good solution. I still have some bubbles here or there but the caps are coming out better and better.
Still have some finishing to do on these guys but you get the idea. How far we have come from my first derpy keys.

Painted RS Octy
(Attachment Link)

Double shotskies
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Those look really good! I especially like that blue Octy. The yellow and that blue go together really well.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 10:58:23 »
Tripple shooty pops

152057-0

152059-1

These are my favorite caps so far.  I was attempting to imitate octopus skin with the concentric circles. Currently still noobish with my techniques but something i'll definitely continue to explore and hopefully master. Colors are violet, teal and white. I'm slowly building an octopus army and I LOVE IT MUAHHAHAh my pretties....

I've been reconstructing Rexy to be flatter. Excited to mold him as this version will be much easier to do multiple colors. I'm also wondering if there is a way I could re position Octo so that his tentacles can be colored. Exciting things. As always comments and creative criticism welcome <3

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 11:13:45 »
Holy mole. The colors on the octopuses really make it stand out.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 12:00:52 »
Fly octopi :D

Offline coozney

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 12:54:31 »
Tripple shooty pops

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

These are my favorite caps so far.  I was attempting to imitate octopus skin with the concentric circles. Currently still noobish with my techniques but something i'll definitely continue to explore and hopefully master. Colors are violet, teal and white. I'm slowly building an octopus army and I LOVE IT MUAHHAHAh my pretties....

I've been reconstructing Rexy to be flatter. Excited to mold him as this version will be much easier to do multiple colors. I'm also wondering if there is a way I could re position Octo so that his tentacles can be colored. Exciting things. As always comments and creative criticism welcome <3
Those spots on the Octy look great!

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 18:36:19 »

Those spots on the Octy look great!

Fly octopi :D

Holy mole. The colors on the octopuses really make it stand out.

Thanks all for the kind words. Are there any name suggestions for RS Octy, its a bit of a mouthful at the moment. My cohort took an actual pretty picture of him, I dunno if it helps with  inspiration.

152191-0

Some names from reddit that I liked:  keylamari, captopus, clacktopus(clicktopus?), Ozy, Octo****m Barry.

In other news we poured some silicone today so I should have some new things to show soon. Perhaps including a much, much flatter version of everyone's(or at least my) favorite dinosaur.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 20:45:02 »
"Keylamari" is a fantastic name!

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 10:37:43 »
Where to begin. I/we have been working on lots of things. Some new molds to pour and a few new casts to get ready to make a mold of. Pressure equipment should make it in this week so we can finally get rid of some pesky bubbles which is very exciting. I hope you like the new things<3

Rexy V2. close to an inch shorter than the original, now with arm and claw
152813-0
152815-1

The klacken V2( formerly RS octy)
slightly different shape with different patterning. Tried to accentuate the tentacles so they can be filled easier
152817-2

A new idea. One thing lead to another and I made this at someone's request.

black dragon kalameet
152819-3

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 10:56:37 »
I like how you made the T-rex a side profile instead to take advantage of the shorter profile. However, I can't really discern the details in the shot; maybe take a pic of it directly from the top?
Always liked the octopus a lot. Supremely crafted for a hand-sculpted cap.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 11:26:30 »
I like how you made the T-rex a side profile instead to take advantage of the shorter profile. However, I can't really discern the details in the shot; maybe take a pic of it directly from the top?
haha I guess this is part of why I'm not in charge of photos. I always appreciate your comments<3 Its nice to know that at least someone is interested in my adventure and its always helpful to have another opinion. It gets easy to miss things when you have been staring at something for too long.

152827-0
hopefully this pic of the mold master can give you some better detail

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 13:02:55 »
Kalameet! Dude, the cyclops dragon looks good :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 14:13:40 »
haha I guess this is part of why I'm not in charge of photos. I always appreciate your comments<3 Its nice to know that at least someone is interested in my adventure and its always helpful to have another opinion. It gets easy to miss things when you have been staring at something for too long.

(Attachment Link)
hopefully this pic of the mold master can give you some better detail

Ah, that helps! The snout hovers over the cap; does it get in the way of any of the other caps?

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 14:52:42 »

Ah, that helps! The snout hovers over the cap; does it get in the way of any of the other caps?

He has no clearance issues when he is next to regular keys but looks like he might have trouble with other wide artisans and def couldn't be friends with himself.
Adding cap clearance to things I need to remember to double check when creating designs! Part of the learning process. The artist in me is trying to maximize the creation space.
Klacken has some similar issues when hanging out with friends. No issues for either key if used as escape at least.
perhaps a balance between moving the design up a bit as well as slimming it down.
 V3 coming soon, now with 20% less fat

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 14:49:56 »
Farewell bubbles... Muahahahaha Now its time to play.

153609-0
153611-1
153613-2

Now that we can make some damn sexy fine looking keys I'm hoping to give some away or maybe make some trades. Suppose I'll be doing a check soon if anyone is interested. Feel free to msg me if you are interested, I'll make sure you won't get left out.  :D
<3

Offline Kominyetska

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 15:03:41 »
Must...have...octopus keys...

Those look AWESOME.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 23:06:05 »
How'd you get rid of the bubs? Pressure pot?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 23:33:58 »
Holy moly that green looks incredible :eek:

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 25 November 2016, 13:23:32 »

Those look AWESOME.

Thanks kindly. I'll make sure you get one. Did you have a color preference?

How'd you get rid of the bubs? Pressure pot?

Yup pressure pot

Holy moly that green looks incredible :eek:

It turns a crazy aquamarine on my blue back lit board. Glad you like it.

Just a couple fun things...
1st go at klacken v2. probs try some double colors today
153744-0

And an updated version of some people's favorite dragon: Kalameet. I've been informed that it's a good likeness so he'll be moving a long my production process. I've never played dark souls but I'm a big fan of dragons and I'm pretty happy with how he turned out.
153746-1

Offline Kominyetska

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 26 November 2016, 11:42:11 »

Those look AWESOME.

Thanks kindly. I'll make sure you get one. Did you have a color preference?

I think Blues/Purples work really well for this one, but honestly, I'd jump on almost any color combo.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 12:34:37 »
Some picture updates. Playing with a bit of paint, working on my photographic skills, blanks!, and failing at my photographic skill. Next up, exploring the best way to take a pic of a back lit key.

154724-0
154726-1
154728-2
154730-3

How do people feel about B stock caps? I'm beginning to amass a collection of some eclectic usable caps that I wouldn't want to charge money for but it seems like a waste just to put them in a box somewhere.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 23:35:23 »
Kalameet...Keylameet?  ;) First cast
Eyes should be red but you get the idea.
155132-0

3rd and slenderest/neighbor friendly Klacken is now good to go. I'm starting to play around colors and such and looking forward to glowing my army.

155134-1

Giveaway coming soon!
cheers.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 11:36:43 »
Papa Klacken was too big. Mama Klacken was slimmer but still too big. And Baby Klacken... he fit just right.
Still working on my steadiness of hand but at least now I can make a full row of Klackens
The Klacken(V3)
155280-0

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
Prime Caps Give away - Win 1 of 3 Klacken artisan keys
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 10:58:26 »
Hello I don't quite have an artisan thread yet so I thought I better post it here. I'm doing a giveaway of 3 klacken keys. The entry form will be open from 9am PST dec14th and run 24 hours , closing at 9am pst Dec 15.
Follow the link to come play!
https://goo.gl/forms/fCyTTixR9Ug36LKv2

Offline JiggleKoala

Re: Prime Caps Give away - Win 1 of 3 Klacken artisan keys
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 14 December 2016, 13:17:35 »
Hello I don't quite have an artisan thread yet so I thought I better post it here. I'm doing a giveaway of 3 klacken keys. The entry form will be open from 9am PST dec14th and run 24 hours , closing at 9am pst Dec 15.
Follow the link to come play!
https://goo.gl/forms/fCyTTixR9Ug36LKv2

So excited!

Offline Pdub

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 13:05:33 »
Love these, what resin are you using?

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 11:55:35 »
Video of my color change for keepsies cap. Its too kewl to let go. Don't worry I'll make more.
http://imgur.com/uThxUZZ

Color changes at 72F
Once the holiday season is over I hope to have more time to play with color changing fun

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 16:03:00 »
It's so nice to see how someone starts from blanks and then fast forward to present, amazing sculpts. Really cool seeing wips like this. Right now I'm stuck at blanks but I definitely feel inspired to do better in the future! thank you!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 16:26:55 »

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 23:31:52 »
Safety Upgrade!
157975-0

I used this for the first time today and it was so much nicer than my other respirator and goggles combo. I almost forgot I was wearing it. Anyone starting making caps should made sure to read the MSDS of the products you are working with and get the proper protective gear. Use proper ventilation and all that. Safety first!

We've been working with inserts a lot lately. It was our first inspiration before I even created to Klacken so I am happy that so many people are into them. The Chaos caps are a great universal key and there are so many things I still want to do with them.

I've also tried pouring my blanks again. This batch came out almost perfect. I made myself some black to pink modifier keys and I am quite enjoying them. Sorry I don't have a picture. I really need to find some better base keys to cast for my blanks. The ones I have now are very thin and I'm not sure what profile they are, cheapo ones from banggood. One day we'll get there.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 18:39:50 »
I've been busy making caps and getting them out to people which is exciting! It thrills me to be able to make things for people. Somewhere along the way I found time to sculpt my next version of Rexy. I've done this on the $ynth to try and make it as low as possible while still being awesomely sculpted. I think I have succeeded. At the moment I am pretty happy with how this turned out. I really feel like he is looking over his shoulder. I hope that the hold caps feels like the trex not just having a trex on a cap.
159145-0
159147-1

Next step will be to get him into silicone. I've been daydreaming about what colors I will make him.
In other news we are working on an improved version of our chaos cap and a few people have send me some different blanks. So you may see some more profiles or stem types coming out from me soon. I've already made a few blanks molds and they are very fun to play( I have pink to black color change keys tehe) with but i'm excited to have some hopefully nicer keys to take molds of.

Offline Kominyetska

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 18:46:34 »
What material do you sculpt with? Is it a polyclay?

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 18:48:19 »
What material do you sculpt with? Is it a polyclay?

Yes. Sculpey, Polymer clay.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 19:10:33 »
Seems like it's surprised about something ^-^

Offline Meika

• Is this easy mode?
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 15:22:15 »
Nice details on this. How long did you make it?

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 19:58:42 »
Nice details on this. How long did you make it?

Many thanks. I'm going to estimate this version probably took an hour or so to do. I've tried the t-rex a few time before so I knew what I wanted to do with it already.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 15:50:18 »
Here he is Rexy v3 . Created on the $ynth so he is much leaner than the previous versions.

159987-0
159989-1
159991-2

The pearlescent grey for this one turned out kinda of rainbow sparkly which was interesting.  I'm currently working on more colors, stay tuned!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 20:07:32 »
Here he is Rexy v3 . Created on the $ynth so he is much leaner than the previous versions.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

The pearlescent grey for this one turned out kinda of rainbow sparkly which was interesting.  I'm currently working on more colors, stay tuned!

Wow, that's much lower than I thought. Very nice.
Does the snout interfere with caps on the left side?

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
Re: PrimeCaps ~ Keycap progress
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 20:21:29 »

Wow, that's much lower than I thought. Very nice.
Does the snout interfere with caps on the left side?

Nope. The snout doesn't hang over at all. If anything where to interfere with other caps it would be on the right  at the back of the head as it over hangs a little. Some of the earlier versions of the Klacken don't sit well on the right but they are bigger too. It sits acceptably next to the K3 and perfectly next to its self.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 17:28:41 »
160059-0

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 14:45:52 »
When you are trying to push your boundaries, sometimes you get some unexpected results. The following is my first go at a the blue ringed octopus and while these keys are very interesting in their own right, they are not the keys I was hoping for. There are 4 different colors and each layer has a color change effect.  In the picture below, the yellow represents it in its warmer state and the peachy color is when its cold.
At first glance I think they are hideous but when I watch them change color I'm not really sure how I feel. Anyways, I"m sure my next attempt will be much improved as I already have some ideas of what to change.

160096-0

Bonus picture of back lit Rexy ( color change from yellow to red)

160098-1

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 19:24:43 »
I've been busy doing a lot of casting lately.  We've got some new molds made of different profiles ( Cherry, SA ) that we're working with.
164480-0
164482-1

We customized the molds so we have maximum space to play around with.
Here is one with some lichen in it.

164484-2

I guess now that Rexy is released I'll be working on a new sculpt. What to do, what to do.

Offline olah101

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 20:43:20 »
These are awesome!!

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 23:08:13 »
Been busy making caps but I have a new sculpt in the works as well. Here are a couple progress shots

174132-0174134-1
174136-2174138-3

Can't decide which version of this little guy  I like better. The one on the right is the first version.
174140-4

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 23:28:05 »
I like the left one more overall, mainly because of the mouth.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 11:05:02 »
174993-0

I'll have to work on my tiny painting skills, but you get the idea!

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 18:25:42 »
Oh man. Its been some time since my last post. But its such an inspiration to look back at where we started and compare it to what we are able to create today. Even from my last post I feel my sculpting abilities have improved. Practice. Practice. Practice!

Here is our my latest sculpt, a sea turtle. I probably spend from 25-30 hours on it  I've tried to incorporate the things I have learned from casting into the initial sculpt. I've not always been the best at planning my art out but in this case it certainly helps to improve the end result.

188762-0188764-1188766-2188768-3

How about some blanks!
188770-4

Hard work pays off, Keep at it!