Author Topic: [GB] Custom CNC Aluminum Cases for Cooler Master TKL boards (SHIPPED)  (Read 140386 times)

Offline complex

Re: [GB] Custom CNC Aluminum Cases for Cooler Master TKL boards (MANUFACTURING)
« Reply #400 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 10:20:31 »
After missing my delivery a few days in a row I just got my case.  :D
The quality of the case obviously is top notch I just had a little anodizing error in a spot where it's visible, kinda sucks but it isn't that noticeable when you don't know that it exists.
I also had a pexon cable which I had to retire since the connector is to large (orpheo already said this, but I might aswell just confirm it). Luckily the stock Novatouch cable is pretty good.
I had some serious issues opening the Novatouch so I just decided to cut the old case open, since I won't need it now that I have this one. :D
Here are the pics of the case: http://imgur.com/a/R2Icr
Thanks for a great GB Norbauer!

Offline luumii

• A day in life without Keyboard SA
« Reply #401 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 11:16:49 »
If there is a chance at realforce, HHKB or Fc660c I will be so hyped  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #402 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 11:27:15 »
If there is a chance at realforce, HHKB or Fc660c I will be so hyped  :thumb: :thumb:

I'm already working on the RealForce design, but it might be a few weeks, as I would probably do well to focus on my non-keyboard life and work for just a little while. :rolleyes: But the RealForce 87U has always been my personal favorite keyboard, so I certainly looking forward to tackling that one, and I have some ideas for doing something that is a bit new and interesting. And I was hoping to combine a group buy for a RealForce case with a r2 for the Novatouch to help reduce the logistical effort (and maybe cost) compared to doing two separately.

Offline orpheo

« Reply #403 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 12:24:45 »
Great to hear RF love!

Here with Cherry OG doubleshots, this case is absolutely stunning and a bargain ^^

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #404 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 13:30:17 »
The custom cable incompatibility is a real bummer. Could we get some more details on this? Is this just a problem with the style of connector Pexon uses? Is there a way to modify the case or cable to make them work?

Offline briandesigns

« Reply #405 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 13:34:53 »
awwww man i just missed this...Would love to go for round 2

Offline norbauer

« Reply #406 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 13:40:25 »
The custom cable incompatibility is a real bummer. Could we get some more details on this? Is this just a problem with the style of connector Pexon uses? Is there a way to modify the case or cable to make them work?

It's probably just heat-shrink tube on the micro connector end causing the cable to be larger than the USB connector spec. This is the official spec around which I designed the connector pocket.

However, I could easily increase the size for a future run. This would come a bit at the cost, however, of visual aesthetics, as the opening would then be visibly larger than most connectors.

« Reply #407 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 13:58:47 »

It's probably just heat-shrink tube on the micro connector end causing the cable to be larger than the USB connector spec. This is the official spec around which I designed the connector pocket.

Show Image

However, I could easily increase the size for a future run. This would come a bit at the cost, however, of visual aesthetics, as the opening would then be visibly larger than most connectors.

Thanks for the measurements. I don't think anyone would mind a slightly larger opening as it is not not visible when in use.

Offline DannyHuynh

« Reply #408 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 14:19:38 »

You can try one of these  :p

Offline w0odyallen

« Reply #409 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 15:52:12 »
Had this over a week now and finally found time to lube and hypersphere the damn thing. This is my first topre board and I LOVE the way it turned out. http://imgur.com/a/Hh3Vf
I believe this was the 'silver anodized' option from originative

Sound test:

Offline nurbs

« Reply #410 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 23:55:25 »
A few asked how I lined the case to get the "thock" back. Just opened it up and took some pics.

The lining is from Amazon which I purchased last year. A 12"x72" roll was around $10, which should be enough to cover over a dozen boards. I actually use these in my truck toolbox and found these to be great on aluminum enclosures.

I don't use the lining that looks knitted or crosshatched, because it may also cause shorts with the PCB still contacting the case.

Here are some shots:
http://imgur.com/a/YdH00

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #411 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 05:11:13 »
Had this over a week now and finally found time to lube and hypersphere the damn thing. This is my first topre board and I LOVE the way it turned out. http://imgur.com/a/Hh3Vf
I believe this was the 'silver anodized' option from originative

Sound test:

Excellent work. The board looks really good overall and the sound is above perfection.

23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline FSund

« Reply #412 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 06:45:30 »
I'm already working on the RealForce design, but it might be a few weeks, as I would probably do well to focus on my non-keyboard life and work for just a little while. :rolleyes: But the RealForce 87U has always been my personal favorite keyboard, so I certainly looking forward to tackling that one, and I have some ideas for doing something that is a bit new and interesting. And I was hoping to combine a group buy for a RealForce case with a r2 for the Novatouch to help reduce the logistical effort (and maybe cost) compared to doing two separately.
Although my wife would probably kill me if she knew what I already spent on this case, I would definitely be interested in a Topre case.

Please try to make sure that it will fit 88ub's as well as 87u's though. I can't imagine the innards of those boards are very different, but I've never seen any direct comparisons.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline orpheo

« Reply #413 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 14:47:50 »
Norbauer, please consider making a 60% universal case. It would be a home run!
I think I really love the "warm grey" finish! It is very classy, reminds me on a leica camera I once had, the minilux...
This case would stand out, I want a the same color but in 60%. Please make this happen!

PHOTOSHOP WARNING :

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2017, 14:50:27 by orpheo »

Offline odd

« Reply #414 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 16:26:59 »
If anyone missed this round I have a brand new grey one from originative I need to sell. I'll include all the missing stuff as well

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #415 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 16:50:45 »
I finally got my screws from oco... so I finally get to build it this weekend!

Offline adamcobabe

« Reply #416 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 19:56:46 »
If anyone missed this round I have a brand new grey one from originative I need to sell. I'll include all the missing stuff as well

Interested!

Offline Saviant

« Reply #417 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 21:21:45 »
I received my case today, it is better than I expected. Thanks so much for the GB.

Offline pschoen

« Reply #418 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 04:39:47 »
received and assembled mine today :D the color actually matches my wedding ring in warm gray gold :D
Now i just have to get new cords since the opening is too small for double usb cable pass through the opening
together with my replaced spacebar for the thinkpad trackpoint.

Sry for the bad quality only have a webcam in place.
Now i only have to wait until my xda keycaps are coming :D
Then this keyboard reaches endgame :D (Brown + zeal clips + cnc + xda caps  :p )

160313-0

Offline Phenix

« Reply #419 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 06:26:56 »
nice work!
Tough I don't think that's an Novatouch..
Are the switches hand-wired?
Winter is coming.

Offline YH YOON

« Reply #420 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 06:29:45 »
nice!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pschoen

« Reply #421 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 06:42:22 »
nice work!
Tough I don't think that's an Novatouch..
Are the switches hand-wired?

Yes the steel plate is sanded down to open the switches without soldering and the the position of the spacebar there are extra holes for the switches.
Thats actually a CM storm rapid-I with teensy hookup at the backside. So the original PCB has now holes in some grounding areas to fit the trackpoint and the extra keys + cables to the teensy.
Only the space and mouse buttons are hardwired.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #422 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 07:21:45 »
Good job!
Winter is coming.

« Reply #423 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 10:05:05 »
If you would make a Realforce case, would it have a female usb port to allow for a removable cable? The Digilog case did.

Offline nurbs

« Reply #424 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 14:21:29 »
Anyone with a black want to trade for an Originative dark gray?

The dark gray looks great with colorways and more decorative keycaps, but I have a set of black on black enjoypbts that would go great with the all black. PM me if interested. Have all screws and feet.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #425 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 14:35:20 »
If you would make a Realforce case, would it have a female usb port to allow for a removable cable? The Digilog case did.

Interesting. I wonder if it's possible to source a cable like that, or if it has to be made custom. The Korean CNC RealForce case I have doesn't have a detachable cable, and I wish it did.

« Reply #426 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 15:32:14 »

Interesting. I wonder if it's possible to source a cable like that, or if it has to be made custom. The Korean CNC RealForce case I have doesn't have a detachable cable, and I wish it did.

Well James from Pexon is a fan of your work and has been posting in this thread. He might know.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #427 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 16:25:29 »

Well James from Pexon is a fan of your work and has been posting in this thread. He might know.

Cool. I think that would be a nice addition to a quality RealForce case, so I'm happy to take any info anyone can provide. :)

Offline Rageous

« Reply #428 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 16:34:23 »
Nothing special and I may still swap out to another set of keycaps, but I'm thrilled with the quality of the construction. Just wish I'd had more cash on hand when the GB went live to get additional cases. This is a beaut. Thanks for all the hard work Ryan!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #429 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 16:42:22 »
Thanks for all the kind words, everybody! This has turned out to be a really fun project—due in no small part to how supportive, easy to work with, and understanding the folks on GeekHack and Deskthority have been.

I'm currently waiting on the "enigma black" powder coated cases to come back from the finisher here locally. I'll get those shipped out and will then turn my attention to new projects, since this one has gone so smoothly, which I have found very encouraging. Again, I want to express my extreme gratitude to everyone for making this such a surprisingly painless process. :)

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #430 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 16:58:52 »
Thanks for all the kind words, everybody! This has turned out to be a really fun project—due in no small part to how supportive, easy to work with, and understanding the folks on GeekHack and Deskthority have been.

I'm currently waiting on the "enigma black" powder coated cases to come back from the finisher here locally. I'll get those shipped out and will then turn my attention to new projects, since this one has gone so smoothly, which I have found very encouraging. Again, I want to express my extreme gratitude to everyone for making this such a surprisingly painless process. :)
You definitely deserve the praise an encouragement, mate, for being on top of and very helpful in your communication and bringing to life such a beautiful case.

Also, thrilled to hear that Enigma Black is already in the works. Curious to see how many folks went for it.

Offline ithrowthinqs

« Reply #431 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 18:55:17 »

Message sent.

Offline nurbs

« Reply #432 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 21:10:10 »
Nothing special and I may still swap out to another set of keycaps, but I'm thrilled with the quality of the construction. Just wish I'd had more cash on hand when the GB went live to get additional cases. This is a beaut. Thanks for all the hard work Ryan!

Looks good! Maybe try some carbon black/classic black/black on black sets? I personally like the sleeper look.

Offline geekzombie

« Reply #433 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 17:34:34 »
These cases turned out AMAZINGLY well, and whoever got the green one is going to love it because holy **** it looks lovely. I will definitely be getting a green one come R2.

I received my case a little over an hour ago; I already installed it and I'm thrilled!

I also posted some more pics and a step-by-step installation on imgur for anyone that needs it: http://imgur.com/a/jI3H9

Offline norbauer

« Reply #434 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 17:49:04 »
These cases turned out AMAZINGLY well, and whoever got the green one is going to love it because holy **** it looks lovely. I will definitely be getting a green one come R2.

I received my case a little over an hour ago; I already installed it and I'm thrilled!

I also posted some more pics and a step-by-step installation on imgur for anyone that needs it: http://imgur.com/a/jI3H9

Now we know who got that awesome dark green custom color.  :D

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #435 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 17:52:32 »

It's awesome, sir.  What are those LED panels above your desk?  Me likey.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #436 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 18:05:30 »
for me the green looks to be very lightly green.
neverthless fantastic case!
Winter is coming.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #437 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 18:19:19 »

Now we know who got that awesome dark green custom color.  :D

It's beautiful!

Offline geekzombie

« Reply #438 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 18:40:59 »

It's awesome, sir.  What are those LED panels above your desk?  Me likey.

It's a Nanoleaf Aurora; actually, it's two of them.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #439 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 19:15:26 »
for me the green looks to be very lightly green.
neverthless fantastic case!

It's actually very dark. This is the problem with conveying colors using digital photography, as I've learned. Exposure and color temperature have to be very precisely tweaked to give the same impression as in person, and even then it tends to fail to convey properly due to monitor variations, narrow color gamuts, etc.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #440 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 22:09:58 »
Well shoot.  I hate to say it, but my case is a bit upsetting to me.  Did I somehow end up with the prototype case or are all of the white cases like this on the edges?

I remember that I kept wanting to see a closeup of the seams.  Guess I should have gone for anodized.  Really bummed.   :(

160506-0160508-1160510-2160512-3

That last photo is the front left corner, so unfortunately i get to see the worst part at all times.  I really would have just gone for a warm gray if I would have expected the painted case to look so rough.  And yes, there are 2 spots where the paint has chipped off on the seams.  I didn't assemble it, I bought the masterkeys pro s as well and it was pre-assembled.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 February 2017, 22:17:33 by reececonrad »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #441 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 22:22:35 »
Well shoot.  I hate to say it, but my case is a bit upsetting to me.  Did I somehow end up with the prototype case or are all of the white cases like this on the edges?

I remember that I kept wanting to see a closeup of the seams.  Guess I should have gone for anodized.  Really bummed.   :(

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

That last photo is the front left corner, so unfortunately i get to see the worst part at all times.  I really would have just gone for a warm gray if I would have expected the painted case to look so rough

I wish you had brought this up with me via PM rather than taking your complaint to the thread, but suffice it to say I'm happy to resolve the issue, just email me directly.

In general, however, I will say that I'm not as happy with the powder coated cases as with the anodized ones, for reasons that are really just inherent to the process. For this reason, I actually don't intend to offering white in a second round. The powder coated cases have their mechanically mating surfaces masked off to make sure that they fit together properly (powder coat often builds up on pockets and prevents this). This resulted in some unevenness where the two surfaces meet. Some of this is to be expected, but the corner in your photo there does indeed look bad, and I'm sorry I missed that when packing up your case.

Send me a message and I'll make sure you end up with something you're happy with. My apologies for the trouble.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #442 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 22:27:48 »
I didn't mean to blast you or anything.  I just wondered if something had gotten mixed up.  I completely understand how the process leads to these results though.   I will say that I do like the design and the weight of the case a lot.  I'll send you a PM.  Thank you for replying.

Also, I really liked the card you inserted.  I agree that it's nice to have a community that shares a strange interest in keyboards :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #443 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 22:32:57 »
I didn't mean to blast you or anything.  I just wondered if something had gotten mixed up.  I completely understand how the process leads to these results though.   I will say that I do like the design and the weight of the case a lot.  I'll send you a PM.  Thank you for replying.

Also, I really liked the card you inserted.  I agree that it's nice to have a community that shares a strange interest in keyboards :)

Yes, those who followed the IC know I was very conflicted about whether to offer powder coat at all, given that it's a bit different than the finishes people normally expect on keyboard stuff (it also have some slight surface waviness that might bother some people). I think that the textured powder finishes are actually a bit better, as they tend to conceal the unevenness inherent in powder coat. I think if I do offer it again, I would want it to be in a different form where we didn't have to do the masking somehow (perhaps a slightly different design with bigger pockets). I'm currently actually experimenting with that on the "enigma black" cases.

I just wish it were possible to do white anodizing! :)

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #444 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 22:48:57 »
Got mine form Originative Co yesterday - silver and flawless. I'm very happy with it. No problems with fitting the "liberated" Novatouch board. The only concern I have is with the micro usb plug, it's a very tight fit. Thanks mate, you designed an awesome enclosure. 

Offline norbauer

« Reply #445 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 22:52:44 »
Got mine form Originative Co yesterday - silver and flawless. I'm very happy with it. No problems with fitting the "liberated" Novatouch board. The only concern I have is with the micro usb plug, it's a very tight fit. Thanks mate, you designed an awesome enclosure.

Awesome; thanks for sharing. I'm really happy with how the "clear" (silver) cases turned out.

Opening up the USB hole a bit is something I've been considering for next time, though I've heard voices on both sides of that issue so far.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #446 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 02:53:04 »
Really nice to see everyone enjoying their cases  :thumb:

It's probably just heat-shrink tube on the micro connector end causing the cable to be larger than the USB connector spec.

As someone who's had to retire their Pexon micro-USB cables as well, I can confirm that the micro connector end James uses is larger than what I'm accustomed to seeing in other products. It would still not fit our CNC cases even if you peeled off the heat-shrink tubing.

Ironically, Pexon's micro USB head is actually bigger than their mini USB head (I'm abroad at the moment so I can't take pics to prove this). James, if you're reading this, is there a chance we could get cables with slimmer micro ends?

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #447 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 02:57:55 »
Epic congratulations on this GB. Norbauer the cases look amazing and the turn around time on them was phenomenal! I must admit I have found myself wishing I had a Novatouch so I could buy one of these :)

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #448 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 04:20:39 »
Can't wait for round 2! Although, if anyone has one they want to get rid of or don't use, please let me know as I have cash waiting.

In regards to cables, the Micro USB connectors I use are the best quality ones I can find. They are slightly larger than most, this is due to the way the micro usb metal connector (solder part) mates with the plastic housing, it sits inside and has a fair amount of room inside for plenty of strain relief. Other micro connectors do not have a sufficient mating with the housing and will not allow for adequate strain relief as they essentially had two tabs that sit in the housing and do not feel sturdy enough. I can make mod kit style cables that work with the Novatouch as they use standard JST connectors like Filco. In R2 I would be happy to see a larger Micro port though. There is a way around it with mod kits, but its not ideal.

Offline Lipton

« Reply #449 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 09:09:03 »
I GOT MINE! :D :D :D

Quick question, is there a guide on how to change the cases anywhere? I see 2 screws in the bottom of the standard CoolerMaster case, but thats it...

I'm guessing:

1) take all caps off
2) take out 2 screws....
then what?