Author Topic: MiTo Canvas XDA - New Set on Massdrop  (Read 72074 times)

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
Re: MiTo Canvas XDA - New Set on Massdrop
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 12:05:12 »
Is this what the final product looks like? From the discussion, it sounds as if the initial samples MiTo received had these problems, but that was a couple weeks ago before the drop's shipdate.

Last word on it has been that Mito's working with XDA to improve their dye-sub lines.

I clicked on the link and looked up the source. Seems these are just production samples and the final sets haven't been made yet. However, MiTo seemed pleased with them, which worries me. I wasn't in the GB, but I hoped to nab a set later on. I hope they can be made thinner.

here is MiTo's latest update https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-canvas-xda-custom-keycap-set/talk/1712648

tl,dr: he updated the files and the next round of sample should be as close to the render as possible.
Where did he say that the next round would already be 'as close as possible'? This is just a second attempt and there will likely be a third one before we can expect to get 'as close to the render as possible'.

It's a "TL;DR", OK? Did I put a quotation anywhere to make you think that I was quoting MiTo's words? Jesus H Christ people these days.
Jesus H Christ indeed. I have no idea why one would not write accurately after a tl,dr tag, god. A better "tl,dr" would have been: Mito has made some changes and thinks that the next samples are going to be better. Why you would put words in Mito's mouth is beyond me. At least put a 'in my opinion' before spouting nonsense.

Did MiTo updated the files? Yes, he did. Why did he updated the files? People complaint 1st sample was nothing like the render so he has to updated the files to get the sample 'as close to render as possible'. I don't have to put a single word in MiTo's mouth, he posted a screen-length reply so you are welcome to read through the whole thing.

Offline pomk

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 17:45:46 »
Is this what the final product looks like? From the discussion, it sounds as if the initial samples MiTo received had these problems, but that was a couple weeks ago before the drop's shipdate.

Last word on it has been that Mito's working with XDA to improve their dye-sub lines.

I clicked on the link and looked up the source. Seems these are just production samples and the final sets haven't been made yet. However, MiTo seemed pleased with them, which worries me. I wasn't in the GB, but I hoped to nab a set later on. I hope they can be made thinner.

here is MiTo's latest update https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-canvas-xda-custom-keycap-set/talk/1712648

tl,dr: he updated the files and the next round of sample should be as close to the render as possible.
Where did he say that the next round would already be 'as close as possible'? This is just a second attempt and there will likely be a third one before we can expect to get 'as close to the render as possible'.

It's a "TL;DR", OK? Did I put a quotation anywhere to make you think that I was quoting MiTo's words? Jesus H Christ people these days.
Jesus H Christ indeed. I have no idea why one would not write accurately after a tl,dr tag, god. A better "tl,dr" would have been: Mito has made some changes and thinks that the next samples are going to be better. Why you would put words in Mito's mouth is beyond me. At least put a 'in my opinion' before spouting nonsense.

Did MiTo updated the files? Yes, he did. Why did he updated the files? People complaint 1st sample was nothing like the render so he has to updated the files to get the sample 'as close to render as possible'. I don't have to put a single word in MiTo's mouth, he posted a screen-length reply so you are welcome to read through the whole thing.
The problem with stating that they should be as close as possible is that you do not acknowledge the option of the samples getting better with a second iteration round. Mito has only stated that the next samples will probably be better, nothing about the ultimate accuracy you are assuming is going to happen. Maybe you have mixed his intentions and hopes with his expectations.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 18:14:48 »
These ended up coming out interesting, to say the last. Seems like an entirely different thickness to the font, opposed to what was shown and people who bought are whining in the discussion now. So glad I bailed last second on buying because of the price. There are also quite a few screw ups if you inspected them. For instance, the G is positioned incorrectly when compared to the render. Some of the number symbols look like dye blotches, like the percentage sign. Whoever did the dye on these did a really bad job, unless he specifically requested them to be done like this.

I hope he figures it for his next batch and gets them closer to the render, or maybe switch to a better dye guy, as I'd love to grab a set if he can replicate the render font.

Render:
Show Image

Actual:
Show Image

The capital letters in standard keyboards can be get aligned easily, so part of the glitches are apparent because these are not capitals.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 23:27:11 »
The problem with stating that they should be as close as possible is that you do not acknowledge the option of the samples getting better with a second iteration round. Mito has only stated that the next samples will probably be better, nothing about the ultimate accuracy you are assuming is going to happen. Maybe you have mixed his intentions and hopes with his expectations.

'Should be' is the operative word here, by saying 'should be' I'm fully aware of the possibilities that the sample might get even worse. If I said 'will be' then your argument would have some legs to stand on. And in all of my working life, never has 'as close to... as possible' or 'as soon as possible' or 'as much as possible' been construed as the 'ultimate accuracy' perceived by you.

You can keep on disputing my writing as much as you like, I thank you for keep bumping the thread. Peace out!
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 June 2017, 23:36:19 by thelaughingman »

Offline pomk

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 03:03:59 »

'Should be' is the operative word here, by saying 'should be' I'm fully aware of the possibilities that the sample might get even worse. If I said 'will be' then your argument would have some legs to stand on. And in all of my working life, never has 'as close to... as possible' or 'as soon as possible' or 'as much as possible' been construed as the 'ultimate accuracy' perceived by you.

You can keep on disputing my writing as much as you like, I thank you for keep bumping the thread. Peace out!
'Should be' is a 'will be' with a higher than 50% probability as percieved by the writer. 'As close to ... as possible' when inverted is the same as 'impossible to get closer to ...'.

What your sentence suggests is that there is a more than 50% chance that it is, by human means, impossible to imporove upon whatever gets printed on the second samples.

Anyway, I'll stop here. I guess you understand my point and I get it that you use superlatives more casually than I would.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 02:49:36 »
This set is getting another run. I'd currently overspend for what I'm after, but knowing another drop is in the works, it might not be worth it.

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 January 2018, 02:52:09 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 10:34:16 »
This set is getting another run. I'd currently overspend for what I'm after, but knowing another drop is in the works, it might not be worth it.

haha there is always a chance of re-run. MiTo's answer there is practically a "PC" one (politically correct). Until I see more detailed information, it will be just like saying "it's going to rain"  :p

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 12:07:39 »
I agree and didn't they say they wouldn't re run this set cause there where so many technical issues. Also that the QC was off the charts with more damage/unusable key's then was standard? Perhaps he saying in the future once the process becomes more refined and able. They will revisit the set and give it a nother shot. Cause I personally find the set to look amazing.. but everything I read pointed to it being insanely hard to produce.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 02:15:50 »
I know MiTo was pessimistic about ever rerunning this set in the beginning. Why would he say the exact opposite now unless he were a little more confident in having a higher chance of success with fewer complications?

They turned around and were able to successfully manufacture and ship both the XDA Canvas planck and XDA Godspeed keysets in a timely fashion. Doesn't that imply the issues have been resolved to some degree? Now XDA Melon is in the works, and going through the same manufacturer as the other xda sets. It's not like the wait is anywhere near Signature Plastics SA queue.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)