Author Topic: Model F Improvement: Space bar mod  (Read 25479 times)

Offline JBert

Model F Improvement: Space bar mod
« on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 12:34:34 »
DISCLAIMER: I'm not liable for any damage whatsoever when you follow this article. Do so at your own risk. It's not hard, it just takes a little time.

So you got a model F but the spacebar is killing you. First of all a word of warning: you will need to completely disassemble your precious model F until you can access the "hammers" and springs. If it is your first time taking the keyboard assembly apart, read some tutorials and ask around when you are in doubt - these keyboards are sturdy, but you can have a hard time reassembling them if you hastily popped it open.

Because you probably want to read this article before opening up your own keyboard, here is how mine looks on the inside (this is the backside of the black "front plate"). You can't safely remove the space bar until you are this far - we'll get to that later on.

Take a close look at the spacebar. As it turns out, the spacebar doesn't use a simple stabilizer, rather it has a second long spring to push it back up (picture taken on another occasion) :

This large spring is the target of this mod.

To get it loose, your best option is to take a flat-headed screwdriver or other prying implement to release the spring from a notch in the black plastic (you can see where it is locked when you push the spacebar cap up and down). As soon as the spring is out of this notch, it will pop up allowing you to push the end out of the notch in the space bar keycap. Removing the complete spring should now be easy: carefully lift the free end until you can free the other end from the black plastic support and keycap.

There she is. You may have noticed that the spring is bent like a V when looked at from the top or the front. If you measure the distance from the middle to the ends when looking at it from the front, it measures 6mm. My spring was bent until this distance was only 3mm, giving a nice 60g of force for the spacebar. Here are the dimensions of an unmodified spring:

Now the trick: hold it on your thigh like I did in the picture: keep the bend at the end horizontal when you hold it between your fingers and make sure the middle of the spring points down and away from you. Now push the ends straight down for about 3-5cm, the spring might curl a little around your leg.
Hold the spring in front of you and check that the spring is flatter but not completely flat. That should have done it.

Note: before I tell you how to put the spring back onto the keyboard, read the next heading for an assembly tip. You might want to read about it before putting the spacebar together so you don't have to take it apart again.

When you reseat the stabilizer spring, make sure you don't turn the spring upside down. The middle should push down on the plastic.
I've found that the best way to reseat the spring is to just lay it on the plastic retainer like it should be attached, then to lift the middle so you can put the ends into the slots on the spacebar keycap. Push the middle down again while you keep the ends in place with your index fingers. Now push one side into the ridges, then push the other.

Once the stabilizer is back in its spot you're set! Now you can go back to reassembling your model F. Tips can be found in the discussion of this mod: e.g. a post by ch_123. More info can be found on Geekhack when searching for it.

[H=Bonus tip]Bonus Tip: Holding The Spacebar Hammer In Place[/H]
When assembling your keyboard again you'll need to press the plates back together while keeping all hammers in place. If you properly read a tutorial you'll know that you should remove all regular keycaps from the keyboard except the spacebar. This last hammer can be a bit of trouble; you can simply squeeze the plates together and hope that the hammer will properly align with its barrel. If you are out of luck and trap the hammer between the back plate and the barrel you might end up with a non-functional spacebar or a broken hammer.

Seeing how I didn't want to take 5 retries to get the keyboard together, I devised the following trick:
    [*]Get some thin fishing wire or some other low-friction but strong wire and a wide popsicle stick or a piece of cardboard. You don't need more than one meter, the exact length depends on how easily you can fasten it to the stick.
    [*]Remove the spacebar keycap and its hammer.
    [*]Thread a loop of wire through the spacebar barrel. Pull it until you can reach the top row of the keyboard.
    [*]Put on the spacebar keycap and attach the stabilizer spring as described above. Check that the two strands of wire are passing through the hollow part of the keycap.
    [*]Now put the hammer's "heel" with the spring through the loop. (Make sure not to get the spring caught in the wire!)
    [*]Carefully pull the strands away from the keyboard to tighten the loop. The hammer will be pulled close to the barrel until it snaps into place.
    [*]Roll the ends of the strands on the popsicle stick or whatever you chose. Keep on rolling until you reach the front plate and give it one last tug to pull everything together.
    [*]Now assemble the keyboard as you usually would. When the strands are pulled, the hammer should remain in its place allowing you to push the plates together.
    [*]Once the plates are properly locked turn the keyboard upside down and unroll the wire from the popsicle stick. Now carefully start pulling one end and after a little while you should have removed the wire altogether.
    [*]Test the spacebar. If it still clicks, you did everything properly.
    [/list]

The first time you try this technique it might as fiddly as just squishing the thing together. The main difference is that you know almost for sure the hammer sits in its place, something you mostly have to retry using the old-fashioned technique.

Please note that you can use something else than fishing wire. Another member, skcheng, used floss made from Teflon for an even better effect (it is after all one of the slickest solid materials).
    « Last Edit: Sun, 09 May 2010, 16:01:52 by JBert »
    IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
    IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
    [/SIZE]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
    « Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 13:10:05 »
    Ah, nice to finally have a guide, I must try this sometime.

Some pointers on assembly and disassembly -

Opening:

First off - pull out ALL of the keycaps, this makes reassembly much easier (this will become apparent later).

Remove the four screws visible underneath the keyboard. Assuming the legs are in the retracted position - raise them, but hold in the knobs at the side so that they don't pop into their resting position (I've probably described this badly, but if you look at the legs you should see what I'm talking about) Lift the back cover off from the end with the screws in it. Eventually it will be almost open, and you'll get this creaking feeling/noise as if you're going to snap something, but keep going and the back cover will come off.

Inside, you'll see a fat black grounding wire which joins the grounding wire of the keyboard assembly at a screw. Remove that screw, and remove the yellow cable which connects the controller to the PCB with the LED lights. Remove the two screws holding the assembly down. You should be able to lift up the assembly with it's controller board from the front cover.

Get two supports of some kind, and make sure the distance between them is the length of the keyboard assembly. I stacked pocket-sized packs of tissues for this purpose... Just something to keep the two ends of the assembly off the ground.

You'll see that the top and bottom of the assembly are joined together with tabs, but there's a tab over the numpad that streches from one side to over the other. Flatten this out with a pliers. Then, stick the assembly into your floor (this works best with carpet) at a 45-degree angle, with the back side pointing up, and the end with that tab you just flattened out pointed into the floor and grab the other end with your hands. Press down hard on the back plate with your thumbs and the tabs should disconnect.

Very carefully, lift the whole thing up without letting it fall apart, and rest it on your supports with the back plate facing upwards. What you want is for each end to just barely rest on their respective supports (you want to hold the thing up without obstructing the barrels underneath) Now just lift the back plate up and voila.

Closing:

Rest the front on the supports as described above. Because of the stabilizer, you need to put the spacebar back on before you close the thing back up. Make sure all the other spring/hammer assemblies are in place for the other keys. Now, place the spring/hammer for the space bar in. This isn't going to sit straight, so you're going to have some fun getting the back plate on in such a way that the hammer doesn't fall out of place (the reason for removing the keycaps of the other keys is so you don't have to deal with that problem with all the other keys). With a bit of patience, you should be able to get the back on so that it's in the right place, just be careful not to force it lest a hammer has come loose and you crush it. Once the backplate sits flat on the front, and the space bar buckles correctly when you press it, do pretty much the opposite of what was described above.

I used a hammer to ensure that the two plates were secured together tightly, however, the last time I did that I missed and knocked out a slot for the stabilizer bar of one of the numpad keys, so be careful if you do something like that.
    « Last Edit: Sun, 25 April 2010, 03:49:43 by ch_123 »

Offline JBert

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 14:00:19 »
    Quote from: ch_123;158295
    Some pointers on assembly and disassembly
    Thanks for that.

Originally, I was going to write a complete disassembly guide for both the XT and AT, but as you have noticed, I never got to it.

Just a few other things:
    • The AT snaps together easily, but the model F XT is a real pain. Keep some clamps handy to keep the front- and back-plate together.
    • To keep the space bar hammer in place when assembling, I've mostly done so using a meter of fishing wire. Thread a loop through the barrel before placing the spacebar keycap. When you then put the little stud of the hammer through the loop, you can pull the spring and hammer against the black support plate. When the keyboard is assembled, you can then carefully pull out the fishing wire.

It's probably as fiddly as just squishing the thing together, but at least you know the hammer sits in place...
    • When tapping the plates to make their tabs align, make sure to take a plastic hammer or to take a piece of wood and put that on top of the plates.

Quote from: ripster;158296
    Jbert - nice guide.  You didn't happen to try seeing if any of the "extra" pads can be recognized by the controller did you?
    No, I was scared enough that I'd break it, let be plugging it in when it was still open.

I wonder if you could trip the electronics by poking some kind of plastic rod into a barrel.

The storage list:
    IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
    [/SIZE]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
    « Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 February 2010, 17:54:31 »
    Sticking stuff down there isn't going to accomplish an awful lot. It's not like the Model M where you're just pushing two layers on a membrane together, the given the nature of the capacitive mechanism, it's probably highly optimized and therefore likely only to work with the hammer it was designed for. I tried it with my fingers and nothing happened. If I get some time, I'm going to crack it open again and test with the Beam Spring, but I'm not completely sure about that as the respective hammers are different sizes (although the same material)

They're off center quite a bit from the pad.

There's two pads on either side. The barrel is positioned near the top of them IIRC.
    « Last Edit: Sun, 14 February 2010, 17:57:35 by ch_123 »

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
    • Kiibohds!
      • http://kiibohd.com
    Re: Model F Improvement: Space bar mod
    « Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 04:41:20 »
    Sure, I'll give it a go next weekend provided the gods of spare time give me a little.

I don't have many tools atm (just a multi head screwdriver); anything else recommended to have, so I can pick it up before then.
    Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
    I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline JohnElliott

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 February 2010, 05:25:28 »
    Quote from: ch_123;158336
    Sticking stuff down there isn't going to accomplish an awful lot. It's not like the Model M where you're just pushing two layers on a membrane together, the given the nature of the capacitive mechanism, it's probably highly optimized and therefore likely only to work with the hammer it was designed for. I tried it with my fingers and nothing happened.

Odd. Mine worked when I touched the bare PCB with my fingers. And yes, the extra pads did return scancodes -- the ones that Set 3 assigns to those positions.

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 02:24:05 »
    Quote from: ch_123;158295

First off - pull out ALL of the keycaps, this makes reassembly much easier (this will become apparent later).

It's more than "easier", it's absolutely necessary to remove them.  

The hammers will not align properly any other way.

(making this a point since I ran into the same problem - the only way to resolve it was to dump the hammers out, remove the keys, and put the board on afterwards.)
    Current:
    IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
    IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
    IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
    Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
    NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
    « Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 03:27:04 »
    That's not really true. For one you have to have the spacebar in regardless, so it is possible to align the hammers with the keys still in. Practically impossible, but doable nonetheless.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
      • http://kishy.ca/
    « Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 04:38:58 »
    Quote from: ch_123;169606
    That's not really true. For one you have to have the spacebar in regardless, so it is possible to align the hammers with the keys still in. Practically impossible, but doable nonetheless.

Geez CH, that sounds like something I'd say. Shame, shame!
    Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
    Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
    kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
    « Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 11:58:20 »
    I can confirm that this mod works, thanks Jbert!

Offline JBert

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 April 2010, 14:20:26 »
    You're welcome.
    It made my Fs that much more fun to type on, can't see why anyone couldn't try it.

The storage list:

[/SIZE]

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 April 2010, 14:56:43 »
    Quote from: JBert;175495
    You're welcome.
    It made my Fs that much more fun to type on, can't see why anyone couldn't try it.

Pity I don't have a model F (AT) to try it on... I'm hoping for some dumpster magic.

It would be possible to mod it and get the layout to how I like it.
    Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline JBert

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 April 2010, 16:42:06 »
    You could, if you can get the right key caps and tools to remap those weird scancodes. However, that is explained in another mod article.

The storage list:

[/SIZE]

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 April 2010, 17:00:53 »
    Quote from: JBert;175563
    You could, if you can get the right key caps and tools to remap those weird scancodes. However, that is explained in another mod article.

Before you get too far, I really need to find one:

I'm actually going to go check goodwill, and other places (and maybe some computer dumps). I checked the flea markets and they had nothing but crap and lenovo CRTs (and... there was this weird guy dressed in some druid garb).

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
      • http://kishy.ca/
    « Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 April 2010, 17:11:09 »
    I occasionally do the thrift store thing...generally they seem to be getting away from taking computers in general, and keyboards pre-USB aren't popular either. I asked the manager of one Value Village and was told they're only taking at least semi modern stuff now because the shelf space and time it takes to sell old stuff isn't worth the tiny payoff.

I did however get my gray NES Zapper out of that same trip.
    Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
    Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
    kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 24 April 2010, 18:04:39 »
    Quote from: kishy;175574
    I occasionally do the thrift store thing...generally they seem to be getting away from taking computers in general, and keyboards pre-USB aren't popular either. I asked the manager of one Value Village and was told they're only taking at least semi modern stuff now because the shelf space and time it takes to sell old stuff isn't worth the tiny payoff.

I did however get my gray NES Zapper out of that same trip.

I never knew value village stocked computer stuff; probably new things I wouldn't want.

THE VINTAGE COMPUTER STUFF IS DWINDLING! NOOOOOOOOO!

But free is always the best.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
      • Tenafly Dentistry
    « Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 00:40:47 »
    Just completed this mod.   Wasn't easy since I can't read directions.   Once I read the directions I was fine.   I used floss to tie down the space bar hammer/spring and everything came together just fine.   2nd time around should be much easier now that I know what I'm doing.  

I'll post some pics/tips to show where I screwed up and where I could have done things a little differently.  

This took me all evening LOL.  

skc

Offline JBert

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 15:01:55 »
    Your first time with this kind of keyboard always takes a few hours...
    If you want it easy you should pick an IBM (Chicony) rubber dome keyboard. :-)

If the wire-trick helped, I might add it to the main article.

The storage list:

[/SIZE]

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
      • Tenafly Dentistry
    « Reply #18 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 15:23:34 »
    Quote from: JBert;176222
    Your first time with this kind of keyboard always takes a few hours...
    If you want it easy you should pick an IBM (Chicony) rubber dome keyboard. :-)

If the wire-trick helped, I might add it to the main article.

Yes, the wire trick helped tremendously.   Would have saved me a few hours of assembly and disassembly just to find out that the space bar wasn't functioning properly.

Please do add it to the main article.  And I'll add to it with photos when I get a chance.

skc

Offline JBert

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 15:37:13 »
    I'll add it on Wednesday. No need to go looking for pictures as I still have some of the whole setup. I just didn't bother to upload them.

The storage list:

[/SIZE]

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
      • Tenafly Dentistry
    « Reply #20 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 22:18:46 »
    Quote from: JBert;176240
    I'll add it on Wednesday. No need to go looking for pictures as I still have some of the whole setup. I just didn't bother to upload them.

I'm gushing now, but I just wanted to say again how AWESOME this Space Bar mod really is.  I used to pound on this board to get the space bar to actuate.   Now it feels very similar to my Model M Mini and I can actually relax now typing on this unit.  Key feel is really wonderful on this board.  Twangy and bouncy and playful.....and yes, I'm talking about my keyboard  :)

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 22:45:32 »
    Quote from: skcheng;176417
    I'm gushing now, but I just wanted to say again how AWESOME this Space Bar mod really is.  I used to pound on this board to get the space bar to actuate.   Now it feels very similar to my Model M Mini and I can actually relax now typing on this unit.  Key feel is really wonderful on this board.  Twangy and bouncy and playful.....and yes, I'm talking about my keyboard  :)

Yeah, model Fs have much larger buckling springs. They're a lot faster to type on too. But they only prove an advantage to someone who can exceed 200 WPM.

I like them because my bottoming out doesn't seem very prevailent.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
    « Reply #22 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 03:20:06 »
    They don't have larger buckling springs... the springs have more coils in them, but they springs are otherwise the same length/width.
    « Last Edit: Tue, 27 April 2010, 07:07:46 by ch_123 »

Offline Multiple

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 09:06:24 »
    Excellent mod!

My AT is amazingly ultra quick now.

You have made a great service to the best keyboard in the world!

Offline Luhmaniac

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 22:18:51 »
    Really great mod!
    This mod, together with the backspace mod, the dental floss mod and some remapping transformed the Model F AT into my favourite keyboard.
    Thanks JBert!