Author Topic: [IC] The Kona Classic - Left F-Keys + 60% (updated August 15)  (Read 4924 times)

Offline AuthenticDanger

The Kona Classic

GROUP BUY THREAD: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91178.0

Locking this thread as we are moving to a GB.

August 15, 2017 update:
More
We are only a few days away from launching a group buy for the Kona Classic and I have some updates and news.

I've been using the prototype full time at home (mostly for FPS gaming) and I'm very happy with how this project is shaping up.

First, this will make many of you happy: RGB under glow is officially supported! I added pads to the bottom of the PCB that will allow you to attach a WS2812B LED strip. I'm considering having an option in the GB to purchase an LED strip with your kit (should be under $5 for a strip with 30 LEDs) so that you can get all your parts at the same time.

Second, I will be making available my QMK configuration on GitHub as well as putting in a pull request to have it included in the QMK repo so you can find it with ease. I'll have a bunch of layouts covering combinations of ANSI & ISO, with and without arrows in the bottom right, and with and without split spacebar.

Third, I am working on getting an aluminum plate as part of the case kit without blowing up the pricing. I've found that you have to be very careful when putting switches into an acrylic plate or risk snapping it, so I'd like to provide something more substantial in the kit. I'm also evaluating options to make the middle layers of the sandwich thicker so that the case requires less pieces which should reduce overall cost.

Fourth, pricing is not completely set in stone (waiting to hear back about some items) but a kit (which includes everything you need to build a Kona Classic, except switches) will not exceed $100 before S&H. Additional parts & PCBs will be made available and I will be releasing technical drawings showing dimensions and mounting screw placement if you want to just buy a PCB (and maybe other parts) and design/source your own case.

If you have questions or concerns, please let me know.

August 2, 2017 update:
More
5 days ago, I started the interest check process for the Kona Classic so I'd like to provide updates and clarification for everyone interested in a new left-F key + 60% board.

First, thank you to everyone who filled out the IC form. There is more interest in this project than I originally thought, so I'm very motivated to get to the next phase (group buy). In order to get there, I want to make sure everyone understands what the Kona Classic is, and what it is not.

The Kona Classic is a DIY keyboard kit, priced under $100, that's made for left F-key enthusiasts. It uses through hole diodes and requires a Teensy 2.0 to control it. An acrylic sandwich case will be available (and maybe an aluminum plate as well, though it will be an add-on item) or you can purchase PCBs and make your own case (I will release hole placement diagrams).

The Kona Classic does not support LED backlighting or underglow (which I know will turn away some people) and does not feature ANY SMD components. The Kona Classic will not have an aluminum or wooden case for the initial run (because the pricing is way too high to mesh with the goal of having this be a low cost kit).

I'm finalizing pricing, but I can say confidently that a Kona Classic kit will be under $100 (a kit includes PCB, Teensy 2.0 + headers, diodes, acrylic sandwich layers, fasteners) and I will also sell each item separately (so you aren't forced to buy diodes or a Teensy from me, etc). I have to figure out shipping, but should be able to keep it reasonable. I will provide an update on shipping costs soon.

I'd like to get the Group Buy up in the next 2 weeks and let it run to the end of August. I expect turnaround to be 2-4 weeks from the GB close.

If you are one of the people who needs LEDs, SMD components, USB-C, on board controller, or an aluminum case, I have good news: the next board will include those things (and be priced higher as it will cost more to produce). Once the Kona Classic group buy has finished, I will start prototyping that board. It will be layout-identical to the Kona Classic, just with more features that I know many of you require. The acrylic sandwich case from the Kona Classic should be compatible with that new board (so you can 'upgrade' with just a PCB swap).

If you have questions or concerns, please let me know.

July 28, 2017 (original post):
More
I was inspired a few months ago to make a low cost keyboard by using through-hole diodes and leveraging an external controller to minimize part and assembly costs, and I'm looking to get it into people's hands, so I'm running an interest check.

This interest check is to introduce you all to The Kona Classic.

The Kona Classic is provided as a keyboard kit for left-side F Key enthusiasts who want a no-frills, fully programmable keyboard that won't break the bank. The Kona Classic features a left-side F Keys next to a 60% layout with a slew of layout options (arrow keys, split space, ISO enter/shift, stepped caps, and more!). The keyboard is controlled by a Teensy 2.0 and pays homage to early computing by employing through-hole diodes on a green PCB. For cases, I have developed a an acrylic sandwich case and am looking for a vendor for a milled plastic or wooden case.

Supported layouts:

In order to build a Kona Classic you will need:

- 1 Kona Classic PCB
- 1 Teensy 2.0
- 71-75 Through Hole Diodes (depending on layout)
- 71-75 MX Compatible Switches (depending on layout)
- A compatible case
- A compatible plate (optional)
- Firmware (I'm using QMK and will release config files for each layout)

Please use this form to express interest so that I can get a head count, gather some feedback, and put together a list so I can contact you when the GB starts in the next few weeks.

If you want backlighting, underlighting, pre-soldered SMD diodes, on-board controller, etc, please fill out the form and express yourself. Once the GB for the Kona Classic concludes, I'm planning on spending some time designing a brand new PCB to address those features, and would like to know how much interest there is in a more "full featured" keyboard. I'm also be looking to source aluminum cases for the next version.

Kit and Shipping costs to be determined.

If you have questions or concerns, please let me know!

TL;DR
This is an IC for a low cost keyboard featuring left F-keys and a bunch of 60% layout options 
IC form
Prototype Album
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 August 2017, 13:57:41 by AuthenticDanger »
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
Re: [IC] The Kona Classic - Left F-Keys + 60%
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:10:47 »
Having an ISO enter option without an ISO left shift option is kinda useless IMO.

great looking board otherwise.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:15:01 »
Having an ISO enter option without an ISO left shift option is kinda useless IMO.

great looking board otherwise.

I'm totally ignorant about ISO layouts. Someone asked if the board would have ISO Enter, so I added it, but I was unaware that ISO left shift is a thing. I can certainly look at adding that.

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 04:03:21 »
Glad to see this coming to life!

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 August 2017, 14:05:18 »
Posted an update. Mostly clarifying what the board supports (no LEDs) and that the kit will be under $100 with an acrylic case.

Offline AuthenticDanger

Re: [IC] The Kona Classic - Left F-Keys + 60% (updated August 15)
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 14:19:27 »
News & Updates in OP.

• RGB Underglow is supported.
  • QMK configurations will be released soon
  • Inclusion of an aluminum plate is a strong maybe
  • I will be releasing technical drawings for people who want to make their own cases.

Offline OneNightFriend

Re: [IC] The Kona Classic - Left F-Keys + 60% (updated August 15)
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 14:48:18 »
News & Updates in OP.

• RGB Underglow is supported.
  • QMK configurations will be released soon
  • Inclusion of an aluminum plate is a strong maybe
  • I will be releasing technical drawings for people who want to make their own cases.
Awesome update! I'm definitely going to go in for a kit :)