Author Topic: Which switch now?  (Read 6295 times)

Offline bigDave

• The biggest
Which switch now?
« on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 15:50:11 »
I have used MX Blues for a year or so and Gateron Blacks for the last year and a half and I'm looking for a change of pace.

I like weight of MX Blues a lot more and the bump as well, so I am looking for a tactile (and maybe clicky) switch.

Taking suggestions and I don't mind taking the time to lube, sticker or swap springs for a new and fresh typing experience. I'm currently using a 60% board I built with a plastic case (worth upgrading to aluminium?) so will be swapping out the switches.

My current thinking is MX Clears with slightly lighter springs or Gateron Blues because Gaterons are smoother than their mx variant but I am completely open to suggestions.

Thanks

Dave  :thumb:

Offline pingmaster

Re: Which switch now?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 15:51:41 »
Alps? Hoow about white, orange, or blue(if you have $$)

Offline bigDave

• The biggest
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 15:54:38 »
Alps? Hoow about white, orange, or blue(if you have $$)

Yeah seems like a good idea, could always attempt to salvage some. It would require a change of pcb however or me to handwire my board.

Offline pingmaster

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 15:57:22 »
Why not? Good way to get into the custom buisness of things. The intrrnet shall guide you on your adventure

Offline drevyek

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 16:10:44 »
Alps64 is a great PCB. Slots right into Poker cases too.

Oranges are my vote- readily available, and just so good. They weren't hit by the Blue Alps fever.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 16:18:21 »
If you have spare cash for switches I would recommend combos

I'll be listing combos and stock switches from most tactile to least tactile. If not indicated, I'm not swapping springs

1. Halo stem in Panda Housing
2. Clear Stem in Panda Housing
3. Zealio Stem in Panda Housing <------- IMO more tactile than SKCM Orange
4. Mod-M Stem in Panda Housing
5. Clear Stem in Mod-M Housing
6. Mod M
7. Zealio 62g
8. Cherry MX Clear

Offline bigDave

• The biggest
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 16:30:05 »

I'll be listing combos and stock switches from most tactile to least tactile. If not indicated, I'm not swapping springs

6. Mod M
7. Zealio 62g
8. Cherry MX Clear

Thanks for all the suggestions, let the research commence.  :thumb:

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 16:37:39 »
Try something non-MX. The horizon is far broader than Cherries and their ilk.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 16:44:35 »

What do you recommend for someone whos afraid of new things

Offline bigDave

• The biggest
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 16:45:01 »

Sourcing them is the problem for me and I don't have tons of cash lying around. There is a recycling centre round the corner might go check it out.

Offline raxander

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 20:19:07 »
I'm really loving 67g zealios.  Haven't tried the Zealio stems in Panda housing but it sounds great from what I've heard.  Then there's the Halo True coming out at some point which seems interesting but that might be a long wait.

Offline Bella_Hwang

• * Commercial Vendor
    • www.kailhswitch.com
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 20:49:08 »
how about the Kailh Box Switches?
Due to the IP56 water resistant construction of the switches, Kailh Box switches are compatible with SMD LEDs only. They are not compatible with regular through-hole LEDs
The 4 new Kailh BOX Switches colors are: White /Red/ Brown/ Black

I have used MX Blues for a year or so and Gateron Blacks for the last year and a half and I'm looking for a change of pace.

I like weight of MX Blues a lot more and the bump as well, so I am looking for a tactile (and maybe clicky) switch.

Taking suggestions and I don't mind taking the time to lube, sticker or swap springs for a new and fresh typing experience. I'm currently using a 60% board I built with a plastic case (worth upgrading to aluminium?) so will be swapping out the switches.

My current thinking is MX Clears with slightly lighter springs or Gateron Blues because Gaterons are smoother than their mx variant but I am completely open to suggestions.

Thanks

Dave  :thumb:
Dongguan City Kaihua Electronics Co,Ltd

http://www.kailhswitch.com
http://www.kailh.com
Email:sales12@kailh.com

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 21:20:48 »
MX White.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 21:28:53 »
wow, Kailh  is pretty aggressive.. hahahaha

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 01:50:31 »

What do you recommend for someone whos afraid of new things
Go to someone in the US with a ****ton of real keyboards and try them out :p .

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 02:47:22 »
Want different, try the super clicky Kailh Speed Switch Golds, the one with the click bar. Closest thing to it is hand modded vintage Cherry Jailhouse Blues, but with more noise.

Or order up some switch packs from Mehkee and see what feels good.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 04:21:54 »
Be a real man—er, I mean, person—and go with buckling springs.

Cherrys and Alps and such are okay, but their springs don't reach catastrophic buckling points to actuate. That's right: When you type on BSs, you're actually generating characters by creating a series of catastrophes. If you have even a bit of daring and adventure in you, you should find this appealing and hear your keeb fate calling you.

Don't just push a bunch of sliders. Type catastrophically.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline pingmaster

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 06:05:51 »
No, use Beam Spring. You are pushing with so much force it makes the contact plate levitiate of the bottom of the board! Ok, really who uses beam spring for gaming? Get a model F AT and have a ball.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 06:17:41 »
Want different, try the super clicky Kailh Speed Switch Golds, the one with the click bar. Closest thing to it is hand modded vintage Cherry Jailhouse Blues, but with more noise.

Kailh gold switches don't use a click bar.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 07:07:36 »
Have you checked out Outemu blue switches?  I have a CyberpowerPC keygoard that came with them.  There was too much clacking until I put some WASD blue O-rings on them, but that tamed it down, made it a lot more pleasant.  The switches are clicky and a little pingy, but it's a dainty, musical ping that I kind of like.  It's not my absolute favorite keyboard, but it's good value-for-money and one I'd be perfectly OK with using as my daily driver.

Also, the new Matias clicky switches are quite good.  I suspect they'll become popular as word gets around.

And BTW, I picked up a 30 year old IBM XT keyboard off fleaBay, and the converter.  The feel and sound is fantastic, but the weirdo layout gave me fits at first.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 08:33:09 »
Have you checked out Outemu blue switches?  I have a CyberpowerPC keygoard that came with them.  There was too much clacking until I put some WASD blue O-rings on them, but that tamed it down, made it a lot more pleasant.  The switches are clicky and a little pingy, but it's a dainty, musical ping that I kind of like.  It's not my absolute favorite keyboard, but it's good value-for-money and one I'd be perfectly OK with using as my daily driver.

Also, the new Matias clicky switches are quite good.  I suspect they'll become popular as word gets around.

And BTW, I picked up a 30 year old IBM XT keyboard off fleaBay, and the converter.  The feel and sound is fantastic, but the weirdo layout gave me fits at first.

Outemu switches are freaking awesome.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 16:31:57 »

Kailh gold switches don't use a click bar.
Oops, I should have said bronze, regardless, I specified the bar because ordering gold is like playing roulette, you may get bronze, gold or something else entirely as companies seem to be calling them whatever they want. It also doesn't help that the colors don't match the name and there actually is two different gold. I like the switch, but they really need to get ahold of the color/naming scheme they are using.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 20:09:51 »
Topre?

Offline tron

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 12:10:50 »

6. Mod M
7. Zealio 62g
8. Cherry MX Clear

I made four custom Bsun's w/Zealio stems using the Zeal 62g, 65g, 67g and 78g springs. To me, the 65g zeal spring feels the most tactile of the lot and seems to have the best interaction with the panda housing. I won't know for sure until I build a whole board and do a proper type test.

Do you recommend lubing the spring and rails. The Bsun/Zeal stem combo seems to have less ping and wobble vs stock Zealios.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 12:50:47 »

6. Mod M
7. Zealio 62g
8. Cherry MX Clear

I made four custom Bsun's w/Zealio stems using the Zeal 62g, 65g, 67g and 78g springs. To me, the 65g zeal spring feels the most tactile of the lot and seems to have the best interaction with the panda housing. I won't know for sure until I build a whole board and do a proper type test.

Do you recommend lubing the spring and rails. The Bsun/Zeal stem combo seems to have less ping and wobble vs stock Zealios.

I only ever lube my stabilizers so I might not be the best person to answer that. I'm glad someone else is doing Panda + Stems from other MX switch experimentation!

Offline azharkh

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 02:08:40 »
I was messing around and put some tactile grey stems in a kailh pro purple housing with the stock spring and they're ever so slightly more tactile than an mx clear stem in a bsun housing with a 67g spring. It's the best tactile MX switch I've tried. Honestly kind of irked because I just got in a 65 pack of BSUN browns hoping to make grey sun switches but now I'm really considering selling off my bsuns to make these ergo kailhs. Seriously, try these things.

edit - after more time playing with the switch, I've come to the conclusion that they're actually a little LESS tactile than the ergo panda/suns. however it's still a nice option when you consider how cheap kailh pros are.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 January 2018, 02:25:19 by azharkh »

Offline donkey

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 22:46:13 »
edit - after more time playing with the switch, I've come to the conclusion that they're actually a little LESS tactile than the ergo panda/suns. however it's still a nice option when you consider how cheap kailh pros are.

I just ordered 120 BSUNs so that's very comforting to hear. My current plan is to use some of them on a Planck with spare Clear stems, recently harvested from a dead Vortex Core, then use the rest with Zeal Zilent stems when they arrive.

Offline ollir

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 09:26:12 »
I'd build a board with the SMK switches that you can get in MX mount these days. Plenty of tactility and equal amount of click. I'm currently typing on my Monterey keyboard and it's delightful!
Especially after using white Alps for some time, these feel sooo light (Don't get me wrong, I currently like the Alps feel and sound more, it's just that I'm in the process of cleaning the switches)

edit: oh, I realised this thread is kind of old now, so OP must have made up his mind already

Never make any mistaeks.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 09:55:06 »
I've been trying to decide what switch to use for my next build, and waffling between BOX Pale Blue versus Kailh Pro Sage (70g).  I've already used the BOX Pale Blues in a build and know that I like them very much.  I have some of the Sage switches here in a tester, but never tried them in a built keyboard yet.  They're a more conventional switch with a loud click on the downstroke but none on the release.  There's not much talk about the Pro switches, not sure why.  The ones I've tested (both Sage and Plum) seemed quite good to me.

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 14:17:36 »
If you like blues then you might like Hi-Tek blacks that are normally found on NMB keyboards.  They can be a bit scratchier but they have they have one of the best clicks IMO.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 15:39:37 »
buckling springs  or Matias  :thumb:

Offline bigDave

• The biggest
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 16:27:43 »

edit: oh, I realised this thread is kind of old now, so OP must have made up his mind already

No he hasn't. Haven't really been following keyboards much recently tbh. Currently looking Kailh Pro Tactile Switches.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 16:34:17 »
Well since we're all necro'ing this tread... I'd like to know where the "readily available" orange Alps switches are.  I guess something changed completely between August of 2017 and today? 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 19:50:46 »
Well since we're all necro'ing this tread... I'd like to know where the "readily available" orange Alps switches are.  I guess something changed completely between August of 2017 and today?

some of the vint. black guys also had a stock of oranges, but i think they're out of the game
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Deefenestrate

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 23:39:32 »
Are oranges Click?

Offline iceteazz

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 03:18:14 »
 _ You should try Topre, it's another side of the world full of Cherry variants lol

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 03:54:08 »
Are oranges Click?
They're not clicky but they are tactile. But being Alps they are still loud.