Author Topic: Arduino, Elecrow or Raspberry Pi?  (Read 303 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Arduino, Elecrow or Raspberry Pi?
« on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 13:15:21 »
For a while I've been pondering a small low-powered computer to do simple things like monitoring indoor temperature, showing a few status LEDs for critical services, maybe even some sort of basic home security (although limited to, say, monitoring open doors/windows).

Massdrop have a steady stream of Arduino, Elecrow (NodeMCU) and Raspberry Pi-based learning kits with various capabilities and/or sensors included.

Although I've knocked up a few things in the (distant) past, I have never played with these relatively modern devices.

Network connectivity is a must, whether wired or WiFi (wired probably preferred, to lessen the likelihood of vulnerability attacks).  I'm not averse to a bit of soldering, but plug and play would be a bonus.

Any comments or suggestions?

Massdrop kits are like these:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/elecrow-climber-intermediate-dev-kit-for-arduino?mode=guest_open
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/elecrow-esp8266-iot-weather-station-kit?mode=guest_open
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/seeed-raspberry-pi-3-b-w-starter-kit?mode=guest_open
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But thatís incorrect. Itís in HHKBís slogan, but when Americaís cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Arduino, Elecrow or Raspberry Pi?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 16:43:04 »
The kits are fine.. But I don't recommend them to adults, because the kits are mostly designed for kids projects.

If you're an adult,  Think of what you'd like to build FIRST,  then buy whatever it is you'll need.. because it's probably not in the kit anyway..

For something cheap like raspberries,  don't bother with massdrop, because why wait a whole month so you can save $2..  just buy it msrp..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 18:21:28 »
Arduino is great for robotic stuff, but it's not a great "computer" or anything needing real computing power or, more importantly, bandwidth. If you want it to move something or turn something on, Arduino is fine, especially in cases where once setup you will never mess with it ever again. That said, the way you have to compile and upload firmware for minor changes is a real pain in the neck and can make troubleshooting a very, very time consuming affair since you have to edit, compile, upload test, and repeat. While still great for certain things, in terms of capabilities, they are a bit dated.

I have no experience with Elecrow, but looking at it, it may be newer and/or more capable than the Arduino, but the Pi still has advantages.

Pi works well for things like what you want to do. It can be used as a computer, has lots of IO ports, tons of expandability and has FAR, FAR more computing power. While troubleshooting an Arduino is a hassle, the Pi is easy, you can connect a mouse, keyboard and monitor and directly edit anything in real time. One major benefit to the Pi, if you decide this whole thing is just a bad idea, the Pi can still be used for other things, like a cheap web browser or file server.

TL/DR
An easier way to look at all of this is that the Pi is a computer with a controller system, the others are simple controllers. If you lose interest in this project, the others will be worthless and sit in a junk drawer while the Pi can be repurposed in far more ways.

I agree with TP, most of this stuff is too cheap to bother with Massdrop.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/Vortex case, hand milled case, custom feet, custom paint, Klaxxon key caps, lubed and o-ringed Jailhouse Blues made from vintage Cherry MX Blues, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, removable cord, sound dampened. Winkey blockoff plate | Magicforce 68 w/Outemu Blues |KBT Race S L.E. w/Ergo-Clears, custom WASD keyset | Das Pro w/browns (Costar model) | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 19:57:40 »
I was kinda leaning towards the Pi from a general purpose computing sense anyway.

However they are (in Australia anyway) somewhat more expensive than the other solutions, and all of them are generally less easy to acquire down here.

The NodeMCU apparently has Lua baked into it, which I started to learn a while back and which has prompted the decision, although Lua could be run on the Pi too.

The kits include lots of sensors, such as temperature, proximity, light, which just plug into the main controller board.  This simplicity is a plus.  Haven't seen as many simple pluggable sensors for the Pi.

tp4's suggestion is good - a NodeMCU plus temperature sensor might be sufficiently cheap to put one in each of a few rooms, whereas a Pi could be used for more intensive things, like service status and data aggregation from the NodeMCUs.

Perhaps a combination of the two/three units would be the way to go.

Thanks for the comments so far - any further input is welcome :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But thatís incorrect. Itís in HHKBís slogan, but when Americaís cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline llisandro

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 22:11:13 »
Ditto what Leslieann said.
I've got a couple boards, and my best advice is don't be lured by slightly more powerful, but less common boards. It's all about the ecosystem and support, stick with the big brands like RPi and Arduino.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline StickyBlueJuice

• Tactile pls
    • gNUBBi
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 07:19:30 »
Currently using one Raspberry Pi 3 model B and am definitely getting one more, probably two more though if I'm honest with myself. :D
They are amazing little machines that are useful for all kinds of (small) projects.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 19:55:30 »
Can anyone recommend a plug-and-play temperature sensor for the RPi please?