Author Topic: KeyCon 2018!! --> PLANNING  (Read 1015 times)

fendent and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
KeyCon 2018!! --> PLANNING
« on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 12:28:24 »
Another year, another KeyCon.  ;D  This thread will act as the central planning location for the upcoming KeyCon.

First step: Pick a location and host! 
If you're interested in hosting KeyCon, please post in this thread with some details about the location.  Previous KeyCons have been held in Chicago, San Francisco, and Philadelphia.  Prior venues are not off limits, but it is fun to see some new places every once in awhile too.  ;)  Also keep in mind that in order for this to work, we need one or two people dedicated to running the event (reserving venue, etc.) - so any prospective city will also need a host!

If you're new to KeyCon, check out the KeyCon 2015 or KeyCon 2017 subforums to see what previous years have looked like.  :)

Online fendent

• * Maker
Re: KeyCon 2018!! --> PLANNING
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 12:32:36 »
LET'S DO THIS

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 12:40:27 »
I'm throwing my vote in for Columbus, OH, and would be happy to help organize. I already ran a mk meetup at the Idea Foundry last September
 (pics:https://imgur.com/a/h0493), and plan to run another in March, so the venue is pretty well sorted. The cost of food/travel/lodging for Columbus is also more than reasonable compared to a lot of other major cities. Also, there's a brewery right next door to the Idea Foundry... which is a point not to be overlooked.
OTD 356mini :: HHKB Pro1 :: RF 87u 10ae

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 12:45:59 »
Let's try to get it in the middle of the country so that it's easier and cheaper for people to attend :)
F Keys belong on the left.  •  [GB] Kona Classic - Left F-Keys + 60%

Online ejewell89

• Ortholinear Life
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 13:17:00 »
My body is ready.  ;)
"Oh there I go killing again" - RIP K.Michael.

Online Theconejo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 13:24:26 »
I'm throwing my vote in for Columbus, OH, and would be happy to help organize. I already ran a mk meetup at the Idea Foundry last September
 (pics:https://imgur.com/a/h0493), and plan to run another in March, so the venue is pretty well sorted. The cost of food/travel/lodging for Columbus is also more than reasonable compared to a lot of other major cities. Also, there's a brewery right next door to the Idea Foundry... which is a point not to be overlooked.

I've only driven through but I was looking at hotels for the csgo major that was held there a couple years ago and everything was super reasonable. I would vote for this.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 13:38:45 »

This gets my +1 easily.  Very central location, affordable, and plenty to do.  :thumb:

Offline pwade3

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 14:08:52 »
I am all on board for a Columbus Keycon!

Offline OfTheWild

• Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 17:45:45 »
2017 had some really fantastic meet-ups that were very well attended and even sponsored with vendor donations. I think each of the following locations are easy to get to and have a large and active group that would love to host.

New York City
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Raleigh/Durham
Atlanta
Charleston
Austin
Houston
Seattle
Chicago

Big airports and direct flights are nice but cost of hotel is high and rental cars and such are a factor. We have a large range of people from broke students all the way up. On the other hand, there have been some really great meets that were actually quite difficult to travel to as well - like Asheville, NC where we had no major airport, expensive hotels, long drives, and no real local support group... yet I think we all had a lot of fun and quite a few people made the journey out to the mountains.

I think there is a happy medium for finding a place that has a popular airport with reasonably priced flights and hotels... and just as important, something cool that people would love to go do before/after the meet in smaller groups. Heres some places that have a lot of extracurricular activities and an easy airport but aren't your major metropolitans

Charlotte
Denver
Albuquerque
New Orleans
Nashville

Probably the best flight deals are always to Las Vegas or Orlando... probably have some really easy "group event" options too but I dunno - from what I've found, most of us are the 'chill, craft beer, indie rock, black coffee' kinda crew. I'm fairly confident if we decided to meet in someplace obscure like Wyoming, Utah, or Kentucky.. people would still show up.
-Dana

Doorbell

Online fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 20:54:45 »
2017 had some really fantastic meet-ups that were very well attended and even sponsored with vendor donations. I think each of the following locations are easy to get to and have a large and active group that would love to host.

New York City
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Raleigh/Durham
Atlanta
Charleston
Austin
Houston
Seattle
Chicago

Big airports and direct flights are nice but cost of hotel is high and rental cars and such are a factor. We have a large range of people from broke students all the way up. On the other hand, there have been some really great meets that were actually quite difficult to travel to as well - like Asheville, NC where we had no major airport, expensive hotels, long drives, and no real local support group... yet I think we all had a lot of fun and quite a few people made the journey out to the mountains.

I think there is a happy medium for finding a place that has a popular airport with reasonably priced flights and hotels... and just as important, something cool that people would love to go do before/after the meet in smaller groups. Heres some places that have a lot of extracurricular activities and an easy airport but aren't your major metropolitans

Charlotte
Denver
Albuquerque
New Orleans
Nashville

Probably the best flight deals are always to Las Vegas or Orlando... probably have some really easy "group event" options too but I dunno - from what I've found, most of us are the 'chill, craft beer, indie rock, black coffee' kinda crew. I'm fairly confident if we decided to meet in someplace obscure like Wyoming, Utah, or Kentucky.. people would still show up.

I think we'll probably be going Olympics style like last year where locals who are willing to host and make arrangements throw their hat in the ring and we make a vote at some point in the future. I love all these notes though and agree with you on all points.

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 21:27:29 »
I'd be down for it to be in the DC area or within a 200 mile radius. I really wanted to keycon2017 in Philly, but I was at Philmont.

Offline OfTheWild

• Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 22:46:09 »
I think we'll probably be going Olympics style like last year where locals who are willing to host and make arrangements throw their hat in the ring and we make a vote at some point in the future. I love all these notes though and agree with you on all points.

I mean honestly one of the biggest factors to having a successful meet of this size is having the support from a team of people like what you guys did with att1cus this summer. That was just awesome with all the demos and Q&A sessions and stuff. I'm sad i didn't get to stay the whole day.
-Dana

Doorbell

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 00:28:20 »

This gets my +1 easily.  Very central location, affordable, and plenty to do.  :thumb:

If it's in Columbus we need to roadtrip again.

Another bonus of OH is we can probably get CPT to come out
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline OfTheWild

• Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 01:57:15 »

If it's in Columbus we need to roadtrip again.

Another bonus of OH is we can probably get CPT to come out

I thought he was in CT? But yeah that would be cool.
-Dana

Doorbell

Offline shuangmu

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 06:50:46 »
Look forward .
Love keycaps
Love geek hack

Offline _rubik

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 09:04:32 »
Obviously I'm going to vote of the north east... Driving is SO much easier than flying. That being said, I could understand why people are into cbus.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 09:33:27 »
If you guys are thinking of a central location,  I recommend the geographic center of the contiguous United States. The closest town is Lebanon, Kansas, about 10 miles south of the Kansas-Nebraska border.  I believe the closest major airport is in Kansas City, so could carpool from there or maybe Denver. The Amtrak also goes through Kansas and Nebraska. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_center_of_the_contiguous_United_States
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Online metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 09:47:24 »
If you guys are thinking of a central location,  I recommend the geographic center of the contiguous United States. The closest town is Lebanon, Kansas, about 10 miles south of the Kansas-Nebraska border.  I believe the closest major airport is in Kansas City, so could carpool from there or maybe Denver. The Amtrak also goes through Kansas and Nebraska. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_center_of_the_contiguous_United_States

No.

Online fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 15:28:35 »

pls

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 15:49:11 »
Obviously I'm going to vote of the north east... Driving is SO much easier than flying. That being said, I could understand why people are into cbus.

The North East has "weather" though, so depending on the time of year, people flying in could get screwed. The mid-west should be more forgiving in terms of flights.
F Keys belong on the left.  •  [GB] Kona Classic - Left F-Keys + 60%

Offline _rubik

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 08:59:14 »

The North East has "weather" though, so depending on the time of year, people flying in could get screwed. The mid-west should be more forgiving in terms of flights.

Philly would be good imo. Not as north east as new England. As long as it's not December through April the weather is usually not a concern.
'

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 00:18:34 »
I was out of the country for this year's one. Hope I can make it in 2018! If it's summer/fall, then Northeast should be fine.

Online Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 11:24:15 »
Columbus would be perfect for me!
Duck Black Bird - 80g Gatistotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks

Online d_stilgar

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 21:12:46 »

New York City
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Raleigh/Durham
Atlanta
Charleston
Austin
Houston
Seattle
Chicago

Charlotte
Denver
Albuquerque
New Orleans
Nashville

Philadelphia was pretty awesome last year. I think we can build some momentum and get it even bigger this year. I had one keyboard last year and might have six this year, haha. I'm also down to do another poster this year (no matter where it is), but depending on where it is won't be able to deliver posters in person at the event.

I'd veto (not that my veto means anything) places that already have big annual meetups. Seattle, NYC, Washington DC all come to mind, but I think we should check to make sure there isn't a keyboard scene/meetup in any of the other cities on that list. Personally speaking, if KeyCon can bookend another event like San Diego ComicCon, PAX, DragonCon or Quakecon, I'm more likely to travel.

So my vote is for Philly because I'm selfish and want it in my own backyard. I'm happy to volunteer but probably not be lead organizer since I don't have a good hookup for a venue.